Last Chance U (College-Football Related) New Season Starts On The 20th

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Just wanted to first give the heads up that this was starting next week. Also wanted to hear opinions on the fact that this is moving to a new school, Independence Community College, in Kansas. I know the world does not revolve around the South, but part of the draw to me was the fact that East Mississippi was so close to home, had players we had all heard about in the SEC. Many made their way from East Mississippi to SEC or at least other southern schools. Don't get me wrong. I will still watch and enjoy this time, I am sure. But I will miss the story coming out of Scooba. I won't miss their loud-mouthed coach, though.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Just wanted to first give the heads up that this was starting next week. Also wanted to hear opinions on the fact that this is moving to a new school, Independence Community College, in Kansas. I know the world does not revolve around the South, but part of the draw to me was the fact that East Mississippi was so close to home, had players we had all heard about in the SEC. Many made their way from East Mississippi to SEC or at least other southern schools. Don't get me wrong. I will still watch and enjoy this time, I am sure. But I will miss the story coming out of Scooba. I won't miss their loud-mouthed coach, though.
I've never watched the show, but my understanding is that there are quite a few schools in the same "Business" - so they could probably move to a different campus every year......

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is an interesting program because it gets into the minds of these guys who had previously been treated like they could do no wrong, and now find themselves faced with real world consequences for their actions. Work hard and get good grades or watch your dreams slip away. Sadly, few put in the work even when faced by this realization. Old habits die hard.

Friday Night Tykes gives the casual football fan an idea how these guys can become so egocentric. They are pushed very hard at a young age, but they are also treated differently than their non-athletic peers.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
This is an interesting program because it gets into the minds of these guys who had previously been treated like they could do no wrong, and now find themselves faced with real world consequences for their actions. Work hard and get good grades or watch your dreams slip away. Sadly, few put in the work even when faced by this realization. Old habits die hard.

Friday Night Tykes gives the casual football fan an idea how these guys can become so egocentric. They are pushed very hard at a young age, but they are also treated differently than their non-athletic peers.

That show is something else. IMHO, there`s something seriously wrong with some of those folks, and I`m not talking about the kids.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I think that another season at EMCC would have been a disappointment. The only redeeming characters in the show - Britney Wagner and Marcus Wood - left the program and there's only so much Buddy Stephens you can take. It's probably a good thing his players are only there two years.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I think that another season at EMCC would have been a disappointment. The only redeeming characters in the show - Britney Wagner and Marcus Wood - left the program and there's only so much Buddy Stephens you can take. It's probably a good thing his players are only there two years.
Oh, I agree on that. Ms Wagner was definitely a draw to the show because she had so much passion for what she was doing and really had a way of communicating with those kids. I am sure, though, that the same will be true of whoever Netflix chooses to feature at the new school as well. I am sure that we will also connect as viewers to some of the players. The producers will find a way of making it a compelling show to those of us who would be interested in such things. I just wish it was another school where we might see some potential Alabama players tell their story in the show.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Never really cared for the show. Just seemed like Two-A-Days with more over the top people. It may be more interesting for them going to a bottom feeder programs instead of the best programs.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I wouldn't watch another season of that jerk Stephens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think the last season was such a downer, I'm not surprised that the coach declined to sign up for another season and the series moved on from Scooba. The best character (the female guidance counsellor, who appeared tp really care for these young men and want the best for them) has also moved on from Scooba.

I saw the trailer and it looks more upbeat.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
3 episodes in and I am just as disappointed in this head coach as the last. He talks down to his players and coaches, and every other word out of his mouth is a curse word. There is a ton of talent on the team so I expect that they will win a bunch of games, but it will not be because they have a good leader as their head coach.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
3 episodes in and I am just as disappointed in this head coach as the last. He talks down to his players and coaches, and every other word out of his mouth is a curse word. There is a ton of talent on the team so I expect that they will win a bunch of games, but it will not be because they have a good leader as their head coach.
Same. Im on ep 4...he's an embarrassment

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I finished the season. It's better not knowing how the sausage is made. Good grief, that was depressing !

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I finished the season. It's better not knowing how the sausage is made. Good grief, that was depressing !
Yeah, I also finished the season and came away unimpressed with many of the people or things involved.

IMO, the only feel good story was that of the offensive lineman (Kerry Buckmaster) who came from nothing, was the first person in his family to ever graduate high school, and was willing to do anything - play any position, do any workout, study his butt off - for a college education that was out of reach without the scholarship to this JUCO school. I was glad to hear that he graduated and was given a scholarship to a Div II school (Lindenwood) which will allow him to complete his bachelor degree.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The new "academic woman," English teacher Latonya Pinkard, I like her a lot. She cares about the players, is demanding, but willing to help the students meet her standards. A good woman, it seems to me.
When players were using the n-word, she told them to stop using that word, and pulled up an historical photo of a lynching and told the players that using a disrespectful word like that made acts like lynching possible.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Watching it now. Another white coach who personally verbally attacks, on the field, a black kid with serious authority issues.
Malik has a little talent, but seems grossly over-rated coming out of high school. Until he gets his emotions under control, he is not going to realize even the limited potential he has. Right now, he is absolutely cancerous. Until he learns to discipline himself, I would not wish him in the same area code of my football team, if I was a coach.
On the other hand, I'd love to see him at Auburn because I despise Auburn football.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Never, ever watched the show, but I heard an interview on Sirius with one of the Bama players from EMCC , I think it was Buggs. He said , to paraphrase, attending EMCC makes him grateful every day for the things he has in Tuscaloosa and the other athletes really have no idea how truly great they have it in TTown.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Watching it now. Another white coach who personally verbally attacks, on the field, a black kid with serious authority issues.
Malik has a little talent, but seems grossly over-rated coming out of high school. Until he gets his emotions under control, he is not going to realize even the limited potential he has. Right now, he is absolutely cancerous. Until he learns to discipline himself, I would not wish him in the same area code of my football team, if I was a coach.
On the other hand, I'd love to see him at Auburn because I despise Auburn football.
For all his delusions of grandeur, he only completed 53% of his passes and both of their losses were with him under center. They won their last 2 games, including the only bowl victory in the history of the program, with their #3 QB under center.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.