Last Chance U (College-Football Related) New Season Starts On The 20th

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Finished watching Undefeated. Really good, and a little research showed me that it won an Academy Award. BTW, the two players who went to Southern Miss both are back at home. OC failed academically. The other guy (the one who had a donor pay for his college education) got kicked out for being involved in a theft on campus. What a shame for both of them.

The one guy that I had kinda counted out - Chavis - the guy who was in juvy before - is the only guy still in college and doing well. Good for him.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Finally just finished this new S3 at Indy...

It's astonishing that team accomplished what they did considering what a trainwreck the whole program was from week to week.

Coach Brown's abrasive personality aside he was unbelievably disorganized. He was late installing gameplans if at all and seemed to be just randomly calling plays and even letting his players influence what plays were called?? Just crazy.

As for the 'Star Players' on the team...

Rakeem Boyd was REALLY impressive!!! He looks like a legit SEC level 1,000 yard+ RB. If he hit the 2nd level he was GONE man. That dude has burners. He might break out at Arkansas.

Malik Henry has 5 Star Talent at QB but man is he an emotional headcase. He was just completely out of control on the field and sidelines. It's a shame to see someone so talented self destruct and sabotage themselves. I'm afraid without some counseling and therapy he's done with bigtime football....and that's a shame.

Carlos Thompson looked really good at WR and I'm surprised he didn't get any D1 offers. He was originally at Texas Tech so he has D1 talent.

Calvin Jackson was maybe even more impressive at WR. That dude has JETS and should do well at Wash St.

Emmit Gooden was the main defensive standout and signed with Tennessee. Pruitt will have his hands full because for every great play he makes there is a dumb undisciplined penalty on the horizon.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Carlos Thompson looked really good at WR and I'm surprised he didn't get any D1 offers. He was originally at Texas Tech so he has D1 talent.
My understanding is that he wasn't eligible for some reason or other and had to take a D2 scholarship. I won't pretend to know all the rules or how his circumstances fit in, but it sounded to me like he knew that would be the case and D2 was his only option.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
My understanding is that he wasn't eligible for some reason or other and had to take a D2 scholarship. I won't pretend to know all the rules or how his circumstances fit in, but it sounded to me like he knew that would be the case and D2 was his only option.
I might have missed an explanation but maybe it was an issue with grades? That's the only thing I can think of because you could see the D1 level talent.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

It's astonishing that team accomplished what they did considering what a trainwreck the whole program was from week to week.

Coach Brown's abrasive personality aside he was unbelievably disorganized. He was late installing gameplans if at all and seemed to be just randomly calling plays and even letting his players influence what plays were called?? Just crazy.
I could understand some of Malik Henry's behavior due to the lack of sideline decorum displayed by coach Brown. I would imagine Malik saw a more professional organization while play ball in HS. The QB coach Diaz kept wanting Henry to be more coachable, but it's hard to teach a kid when he can see that you don't know what you are doing.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I could understand some of Malik Henry's behavior due to the lack of sideline decorum displayed by coach Brown. I would imagine Malik saw a more professional organization while play ball in HS. The QB coach Diaz kept wanting Henry to be more coachable, but it's hard to teach a kid when he can see that you don't know what you are doing.
Oh yeah I'm not going to defend the Coaching Staff at ALL....

But as a QB you can't just go rogue and start changing the playcalls w/o permission....

You can't talk smack dropping N-Bombs left and right with referees in earshot...

You can't go around the sideline to teammates and put the coaching staff on blast announcing how bad they are at coaching and how you could run things better.

The QB is supposed to be a Leader who galvanizes and unifies the team and Malik did almost nothing but sow dissension.

He seemed to be VERY thin skinned and not able to handle ANY criticism w/o losing his cool completely.

If he could get his emotional issues under control and be 'coachable' he could be a All-Conference level D1 QB. You can see his talent and IQ.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

This stood out to me, too. They never showed a game plan of sorts. The guy was over the top and made Buddy Stevenson look good, but this could have partly been due to the production of the show (more on this later).

As for the 'Star Players' on the team...

Rakeem Boyd was REALLY impressive!!! He looks like a legit SEC level 1,000 yard+ RB. If he hit the 2nd level he was GONE man. That dude has burners. He might break out at Arkansas.

Was surprised to see Rakeem was only a 3* when he signed with TAMU based on the way the coaching staff talked about him being a big stud in College Station. Suspect he'll do well for Chad Morris.

Malik Henry has 5 Star Talent at QB but man is he an emotional headcase. He was just completely out of control on the field and sidelines. It's a shame to see someone so talented self destruct and sabotage themselves. I'm afraid without some counseling and therapy he's done with bigtime football....and that's a shame.

The fact Malik Henry has yet to land at another college suggests there are several factors at play here. A big one from what I saw is his dad. In the last episode, Malik's trainer makes a comment about something while eating breakfast with Malik and his dad, and Malik's dad starts joking on Malik. The camera showed Malik's face, and it clearly said "Will you stop already?" The pressure his dad put on him was beyond too much.

When his dad said he told Malik he needed to play football and not baseball because "God has gifted him with the ability and he needs to use it," I just rolled my eyes. Maybe let the kid play the sport he wants to play?

He couldn't go D1 because he was 24 and played as a true freshman (17 or 18) at Texas Tech. Therefore, his five years of D1 were up.

Emmit Gooden was the main defensive standout and signed with Tennessee. Pruitt will have his hands full because for every great play he makes there is a dumb undisciplined penalty on the horizon.

Anyone notice in the last episode how Emmit was wearing an Arkansas Belk Bowl pullover when talking to his English instructor? My wife got a kick out of him wearing an Arkansas shirt at the end of the episode showing where each player signed since he went to UT and not Arkansas.

Don't misunderstand me, I understand recruits get some apparel from schools in various ways. Just odd that he was wearing a Belk Bowl (presumably from 2016) pullover when he never attended Arkansas.

SIAP, but this is a good rundown of the entire talent on the team last year.

Last Chance U Season 3: Where are they now?

Back to the production of the show... Is Brown really that off the wall? Chances are pretty high. However, some of it could have been done for the production of the show.

Look at the list of players in the link. No mention of Tramonda Moore during the entire season. He was the #4 JUCO player in the nation, and the show didn't bother with him?

The show also makes Kingston Davis look like an academic failure. That's not the case. Have a mutual friend, who sent Kingston a message about it after watching the show. Kingston sent back a picture of his transcript. He finished with a 3.85.

IOW, some of what was shown was solely for story-line purposes.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Oh yeah I'm not going to defend the Coaching Staff at ALL....

But as a QB you can't just go rogue and start changing the playcalls w/o permission....

You can't talk smack dropping N-Bombs left and right with referees in earshot...

You can't go around the sideline to teammates and put the coaching staff on blast announcing how bad they are at coaching and how you could run things better.

The QB is supposed to be a Leader who galvanizes and unifies the team and Malik did almost nothing but sow dissension.

He seemed to be VERY thin skinned and not able to handle ANY criticism w/o losing his cool completely.

If he could get his emotional issues under control and be 'coachable' he could be a All-Conference level D1 QB. You can see his talent and IQ.
I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. But I do think Herny could of done a better job of game prep than Brown. Brown's prep was "We are more talented so just go out there and kick their rear ends." Henry definitely needed to work on the attitude department. But it was obvious his talents belong somewhere besides Independence KS. Too bad the oversized ego put him there.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Can't they find a successful coach at this level who has a little bit of self control?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Can't they find a successful coach at this level who has a little bit of self control?
A successful coach with self-control wouldn't be at Last Chance U.

My guess is that Brown has a string of legal / HR run-ins dating back decades.

That place is the last chance for a lot of folks, and nowhere near all of them are players.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What the Heck?!?!?!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...rown-texted-german-student-im-your-new-hitler

Jason Brown, the head football coach at Independence Community College, allegedly told a German member of his team, "I'm your new Hitler."
According to the Montgomery County Chronicle (h/t Stacie Strader of KOAM News Now), Alexandros Alexiou texted Brown regarding his disciplinary standing with the team. Players are apparently allowed a maximum of 25 disciplinary points, and Alexiou had accrued 17.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I watched the first season from East Mississippi and couldn't watch anymore. The unceasing bad language was more than I could handle. The dumbness of the players' actions also really irritated me. Even the good stories always had some caveat. The academic adviser lady was the hero of that show.

The other side of me says, well, it is "Last chance U" where guys are going to get them straight because they royally screwed up their previous chance(s) so they deserve the tongue lashings.

Regardless you can't tell a kid (especially a German one) that you're his "new Hitler!" But, what about the coach's 2nd chance? Ironic that we want everybody having multiple chances these days for all kinds of illegal and illicit and stupid activities, yet we don't allow a coach to say mea culpa and move on. I'm torn on the proper response. It's obvious he was fed up with the kid in question. Maybe the stupidity of putting it on a text rather than just yelling at him is what matters? I don't know. Generally I do not like us taking kids who come from these programs because of the problems they've had in the past, yet some of our past players HAVE figured it out after going somewhere like this.

Those are my rambling, incoherent, inconsistent thoughts on the Last Chance U's of the world. :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.