Air-Jordan brand FOOTBALL uniforms??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Air-Jordan brand FOOTBALL uniforms???

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    Well, the NCAA itself is a non-profit. We're really talking about the member schools they serve.
    The NCAA makes a lot of money off of the other sports because they have their hands in the championship tournaments. CFB college football programs are the lone exception.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team UntouchableCrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    The NCAA makes a lot of money off of the other sports because they have their hands in the championship tournaments. CFB college football programs are the lone exception.
    Well, I'm pretty sure like 95% of all of their revenue comes from the basketball tourney. None of that is really the point.

I'm just saying that the NCAA acts in the interest of the schools who don't want to pay players. They don't want the optics of advertisements on uniforms. Forcing the players to physically wear a logo is really bad business if you're trying to push off the (inevitable) end result of paying players.

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar

And this is why I don’t pay for TV. Why am I paying someone to watch commercials? 200 channels, nothing to watch and commercials everywhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromBama View Post
    Yep. That was the "Theory" of cable television, for those old enough to remember - you'd pay a monthly fee, and in exchange you'd get some channels that don't run commercials. LOL!!! We all saw how that turned out.

Even some of the channels on satellite radio run commercials - so what are we paying the monthly fee for?

I expect CFB uniforms will eventually look like some of the soccer uniforms you see - the name of the sponsor(s) MUCH more prominent than anything else.....

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

We know Nike provides the university athletic gear for free. They also pay the schools rather well. The more the schools are on TV the more the school makes. We are very visible and when our current contract ends, I imagine we'll load up with a lot of cash! Nike,Adidas and Under Armor are in a very competitive market and advertising is there conduit to sales success.
    I'm sure Nike would like us to wear "alternative" unis but Coach Saban won't allow it!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by gtowntide View Post
    I'm sure Nike would like us to wear "alternative" unis but Coach Saban won't allow it!
    We already have. MSU 2010

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    We already have. MSU 2010

Wasn't this a one time deal? I just read that we are negotiating our new contract with Nike now. We should hear something soon. RTR!

I have this jersey. Alabama wore it against Miss in 2006 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of CPB's 315th win.

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

Air-Jordan brand FOOTBALL uniforms???

I have this jersey. Alabama wore it against Miss in 2006 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of CPB's 315th win.

I actually really liked those. Such a subtle change but looked sharp IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    Dude, you're way behind the times.....lol
    Indeed, truer words were never spoken!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses..."
    Dennis of Mercia, British Statesman/Philosopher,
    (895 A.D. - ?).

Quote Originally Posted by gtowntide View Post
    We know Nike provides the university athletic gear for free. They also pay the schools rather well. The more the schools are on TV the more the school makes. We are very visible and when our current contract ends, I imagine we'll load up with a lot of cash! Nike,Adidas and Under Armor are in a very competitive market and advertising is there conduit to sales success.
    Nike has made a thousand FORTUNES off Alabama. I hate to impugn anyone involved, but Alabama ALWAYS accepts FAR LESS than other comparable programs, and it's often by a factor of 2-3 TIMES. And it's been that way since we first signed on to pimp the swoosh back in the 90's.

Just do a computer search and you'll see many schools getting VASTLY more from Nike, Adidas, Udder-Armor, etc. What UA gets is a pittance in comparison.

MAYBE this next time the contract will be different. I sure hope so.......
    (895 A.D. - ?).

We've worn "Alternative" uniforms a couple times, and IMO it's sucked every single time. Thankfully, we haven't (Yet) been stuck with an outright CLOWN COSTUME the way a few schools have.

The 2006 event was PARTICULARLY Disappointing. Barn fans had a FIELD DAY laughing, because the actual 315th win was on Nov. 28, 1981 against aubarn in the Iron Bowl. And it was TRANSPARENTLY OBVIOUS why we weren't wearing a "Special Costume" to play aub - and instead did it against MSU........

(895 A.D. - ?).

We've worn "Alternative" uniforms a couple times, and IMO it's sucked every single time. Thankfully, we haven't (Yet) been stuck with an outright CLOWN COSTUME the way a few schools have.

The 2006 event was PARTICULARLY Disappointing. Barn fans had a FIELD DAY laughing, because the actual 315th win was on Nov. 28, 1981 against aubarn in the Iron Bowl. And it was TRANSPARENTLY OBVIOUS why we weren't wearing a "Special Costume" to play aub - and instead did it against MSU........
    I believe it was Ole Miss, not MSU. Either way, the jersey was the perfect tribute to CPB. Subtle, but meaningful.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Nike has made a thousand FORTUNES off Alabama. I hate to impugn anyone involved, but Alabama ALWAYS accepts FAR LESS than other comparable programs, and it's often by a factor of 2-3 TIMES. And it's been that way since we first signed on to pimp the swoosh back in the 90's.

Just do a computer search and you'll see many schools getting VASTLY more from Nike, Adidas, Udder-Armor, etc. What UA gets is a pittance in comparison.

MAYBE this next time the contract will be different. I sure hope so.......
    I think the UofA has made millions if not billions off of price gouging their fans off the Nike deal. The University is the Disney of college football. All fun and excitement with a quality product but greedy as sin. Seriously look at how the tailgate prices, weird licensing deals, and the addition of the new “book store” in the past year. When you are saying everything in houndstooth, script A or not, is licensed by the university you are greedy. True story.

Point is, why you keep pointing at Nike as being greedy, the university is just as if not more greedy as Nike on that deal.