Air-Jordan brand FOOTBALL uniforms???

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Is it just me, or is this sorta weird?

Jordan brand, a division of Nike, is now making College FOOTBALL uniforms - featuring the image of Michael Jordan jumping with a Basketball.

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklahoma-football-changes-updates-to-sooners-uniforms-with-switch-to/article_1b8d89da-839e-11e8-bd5f-d77f1c5f393c.html

I guess it's no worse than the swoosh we've been pimping... er... wearing for 25 years now. Just seems kinda weird....

Alabama Football uniforms, circa 1961... I still like the look....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Is it just me, or is this sorta weird?

Jordan brand, a division of Nike, is now making College FOOTBALL uniforms - featuring the image of Michael Jordan jumping with a Basketball.

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklahoma-football-changes-updates-to-sooners-uniforms-with-switch-to/article_1b8d89da-839e-11e8-bd5f-d77f1c5f393c.html

I guess it's no worse than the swoosh we've been pimping... er... wearing for 25 years now. Just seems kinda weird....

Alabama Football uniforms, circa 1961... I still like the look....
Nothing new. Michigan has been using them since Harbaugh got there.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Nothing new. Michigan has been using them since Harbaugh got there.
Wow. I didn't realize.

Still seems weird to me.

But hey - different strokes. I suppose I should be glad we don't have stickers on our jerseys for Tide detergent, Coca-Cola, and Great Southern Wood..... :rolleyes:

Our 2028 football uniforms? ;)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is likely an unpopular opinion but I would take advertisements on uniforms over commercials. The problem is that isn't what would happen they would just keep the same amount of commercials.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
This is likely an unpopular opinion but I would take advertisements on uniforms over commercials. The problem is that isn't what would happen they would just keep the same amount of commercials.
Yep. That was the "Theory" of cable television, for those old enough to remember - you'd pay a monthly fee, and in exchange you'd get some channels that don't run commercials. LOL!!! We all saw how that turned out.

Even some of the channels on satellite radio run commercials - so what are we paying the monthly fee for?

I expect CFB uniforms will eventually look like some of the soccer uniforms you see - the name of the sponsor(s) MUCH more prominent than anything else.....

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Yep. That was the "Theory" of cable television, for those old enough to remember - you'd pay a monthly fee, and in exchange you'd get some channels that don't run commercials. LOL!!! We all saw how that turned out.

Even some of the channels on satellite radio run commercials - so what are we paying the monthly fee for?

I expect CFB uniforms will eventually look like some of the soccer uniforms you see - the name of the sponsor(s) MUCH more prominent than anything else.....
I doubt that. Would really make it difficult for them to justify the "amateur" status the players if they have advertisements on their jerseys.

I do think we'll see it in the NFL. The NBA is already doing it.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I doubt that. Would really make it difficult for them to justify the "amateur" status the players if they have advertisements on their jerseys.

I do think we'll see it in the NFL. The NBA is already doing it.
Well, respectfully, Alabama has had "Advertisements" on our uniforms since the early 1990's - and Nike has been SELLING those jerseys for a pretty penny.
We've got millionaire Baseball signees playing CFB - like the QB at aTm, right? Oh, but he's an "Amateur" as long as he says "Simon Says" before each football game, right??? :wink:

Frankly, "IMO" the whole "Amateur status" myth of College football and basketball players has been a joke for decades now.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Well, respectfully, Alabama has had "Advertisements" on our uniforms since the early 1990's - and Nike has been SELLING those jerseys for a pretty penny.
We've got millionaire Baseball signees playing CFB - like the QB at aTm, right? Oh, but he's an "Amateur" as long as he says "Simon Says" before each football game, right??? :wink:

Frankly, "IMO" the whole "Amateur status" myth of College football and basketball players has been a joke for decades now.
I know, but the optics of it in today's climate would prevent them from doing it. The NCAA isn't going to want anything to hurt the cash cow they have now and will put off paying players as long as possible.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know, but the optics of it in today's climate would prevent them from doing it. The NCAA isn't going to want anything to hurt the cash cow they have now and will put off paying players as long as possible.
I don't think that the NCAA makes much, if any, money from FBS football.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Dude, you're way behind the times.....lol

Of course North Carolina wears the Jordan Brand (it's not considered Air Jordan Brand). UNC now has some of the best looking uniforms in college football now since the change as they added the argyle from the basketball team to their jerseys and helmets.

Florida will debut their Jordan jerseys on the 17th in Atlanta.

All that I know of that wear (or fixing to switch to) Jordan Brand football uni's:

North Carolina
Michigan
Oklahoma
Loyola High School (Los Angeles, CA.)

Those are the only ones I can name off the top of my head

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, respectfully, Alabama has had "Advertisements" on our uniforms since the early 1990's - and Nike AND The University of ALABAMA have been SELLING those jerseys for a pretty penny.

FIFY

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, the NCAA itself is a non-profit. We're really talking about the member schools they serve.
The NCAA makes a lot of money off of the other sports because they have their hands in the championship tournaments. CFB college football programs are the lone exception.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
The NCAA makes a lot of money off of the other sports because they have their hands in the championship tournaments. CFB college football programs are the lone exception.
Well, I'm pretty sure like 95% of all of their revenue comes from the basketball tourney. None of that is really the point.

I'm just saying that the NCAA acts in the interest of the schools who don't want to pay players. They don't want the optics of advertisements on uniforms. Forcing the players to physically wear a logo is really bad business if you're trying to push off the (inevitable) end result of paying players.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
And this is why I don’t pay for TV. Why am I paying someone to watch commercials? 200 channels, nothing to watch and commercials everywhere!

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
We know Nike provides the university athletic gear for free. They also pay the schools rather well. The more the schools are on TV the more the school makes. We are very visible and when our current contract ends, I imagine we'll load up with a lot of cash! Nike,Adidas and Under Armor are in a very competitive market and advertising is there conduit to sales success.
I'm sure Nike would like us to wear "alternative" unis but Coach Saban won't allow it!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have this jersey. Alabama wore it against Miss in 2006 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of CPB's 315th win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.