Prank call to Coach Saban. He manages it better than I could have....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Some kid calls up Coach Saban and pretends to be the father of a kicker from PA, who was recruited and is reporting to fall camp last week in July? I don't get it.....:confused:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
You can’t be top tier if you can’t spell Saban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Some kid calls up Coach Saban and pretends to be the father of a kicker from PA, who was recruited and is reporting to fall camp last week in July? I don't get it.....:confused:
I am pretty sure there is nothing else to get. The noteworthy part to me is that, despite his reputation as a hot head, Saban retained his cool the entire time, and it was pretty obvious by the end that it was a prank call. That's what I meant by "he manages it better than I could have".

Back around 2001, when the ncaa hit us with sanctions, including that any player could transfer and play immediately, Tommy West declared that he was going to recruit Alabama players to Memphis State, which I thought was ludicrous. I called him at his office and pretended to be the Dad of a UA player considering a transfer. I started asking him how many times they'd been on tv the last 3 years, what bowls they'd been to, how many players they had go to the NFL in his tenure there, etc. By the end of the conversation he was so p.oed he blew up on me, called me some words I never even heard, and then hung up on me.

Coach Saban didn't do that. That's all there is to get.

edit: Not a single player transferred.

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Back around 2001, when the ncaa hit us with sanctions, including that any player could transfer and play immediately, Tommy West declared that he was going to recruit Alabama players to Memphis State, which I thought was ludicrous. I called him at his office and pretended to be the Dad of a UA player considering a transfer. I started asking him how many times they'd been on tv the last 3 years, what bowls they'd been to, how many players they had go to the NFL in his tenure there, etc. By the end of the conversation he was so p.oed he blew up on me, called me some words I never even heard, and then hung up on me.

Were you in elementary school at the time?

Is this something of which you are proud?

Last edited:

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Well, they did have to hold the rope.
ha. That is true. They held that rope till the coach let go. All good things, though, in due time. In a meandering way, Franchione's lack of fortitude led to St. Nick Saban.

Oh, and bama579; Tommy West played at Tennessee, was buddy with Fulmer, and hated Alabama. He was just trying to rub salt in the wounds after Phat Phil and Kramer aided in having Alabama busted. I don't for one minute regret having called him up.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The funniest part was when Saban asked which coach he had been talking to and he didn’t know. This was after he claimed to have been communicating with him “all year”. That and the thick southern accent he was faking. From someone supposedly from Pennsylvania.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
The funniest part was when Saban asked which coach he had been talking to and he didn’t know. This was after he claimed to have been communicating with him “all year”. That and the thick southern accent he was faking. From someone supposedly from Pennsylvania.

Yeah. No doubt. It was very obvious by the end it was a silly prank call, but Coach Saban was very cool about it.

B1GMark

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 10, 2018
This. Thought the same on both accounts. Was impressed with how composed Coach Saban was, especially being on vacation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.