News Article: Rush Propst taking steps to overturn NCAA Bylaw 11.4.4

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I too think the rule is a bad rule and should be changed. But my question to those who also don't like this rule is this: What if the highly recruited player's high school HC is also his father like Jalen Hurts? Would hiring the kid's father be a violation of another NCAA rule?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I see argument on both sides. I've seen kids follow their HS coaches to schools for years in both football and basketball when you knew there was some quid pro quo involved. But high school coaches also should not be effectively banned from progressing in their chosen careers either. I think the NCAA will fold like a cheap suit like they always do when push comes to shove anyway. It is probably a rule that may not stand up to legal challenge anyway, IMHO.

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I too think the rule is a bad rule and should be changed. But my question to those who also don't like this rule is this: What if the highly recruited player's high school HC is also his father like Jalen Hurts? Would hiring the kid's father be a violation of another NCAA rule?
Wouldn’t think so since he is a high school head coach & I assume was one before Jalen got to high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I see argument on both sides. I've seen kids follow their HS coaches to schools for years in both football and basketball when you knew there was some quid pro quo involved. But high school coaches also should not be effectively banned from progressing in their chosen careers either. I think the NCAA will fold like a cheat suit like they always do when push comes to shove anyway. It is probably a rule that may not stand up to legal challenge anyway, IMHO.
A “cheat” suit. Don’t think you meant to do that but it worked out nice [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I don't care for a lot of the ncaa bylaws but this one seem like legit legislation. And it woukdnt prevent you from takung a job at a school where your high school students aren't attending.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
How to not make a Cam reference? Oh, to heck with it. What's the difference between paying for work and paying for no work?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I don't care for a lot of the ncaa bylaws but this one seem like legit legislation. And it woukdnt prevent you from takung a job at a school where your high school students aren't attending.
I see your point, but it still isn't right. HS coaches probably do not have a large window of open places where they could possibly go. So, you would forcing them to limit their own options even further or direct their kids to schools they do not look to go to work for, which also may not necessarily be in the kid's best interest. I can see how leaving it open can lead to all sorts of possibilities for corruption, but the corrupt are going to be corrupt either way. But this whole deal with telling a coach he can't move up to college, or where he can and can't go, is quite unfair and I doubt would hold up in court.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I heard the real reason Propst didn't go to Tennessee is none of his wives wanted to move.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.