Useful DIY VIDEOs thread.....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Generally, I feel like I'm in pretty good health. One thing that happens is I get headaches once in a while. I always thought it was from sleeping in a funny position where my neck gets bent at the wrong angle but I'm sure some is from stress too. Anyway - I do have OTC meds but hate taking them any more than necessary. Here are a couple vids with alternative treatments worth considering.....

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
That's a good one...here's the embed.....

The split systems are used almost universally in countries where energy cost are higher than in the US. They are the primary new and retrofit installation in Brazil. Typically the condensing unit is hung on the outside wall of high rise complexes. It would seem to me a perfect application for a built in garage not previously heated or cooled and a quite easy installation in conventional frame construction typical in the US.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
So, as I mentioned on the first page, I jacked up my plumbing recently. Finally had a day to work on it yesterday. Here's how it's going:

Needed room to work, so I decided to remove and replace some tile with a nice design. Removed old tile with a grout saw, hammer and wedge.

Cut out the concrete backer and drywall with my sawzall.

Handy dandy pipe cutter.

Cut cut cut

The old fixture.

Close-up of the damage caused removing the cemented on dome. In my defense, most of that came after I already knew this fixture was a lost cause.

Cut cut cut

The new mixing valve with supply lines and the spout line sweated in.

Necessary tools. Beer and torch. Solder, flux and sandpaper out of frame. On thing I've learned on sweating pipe is that it's all in the prep. Even a substandard solder job will be fine if you prepped correctly.

New valve sweated in. Managed to do the majority of my sweating before installing. Still had to sweat 4 joints in the wall.

Another view. All seems good on the plumbing side. Turned the supply valves in the basement on. Water runs. No leaks.

Drywall and concrete backer board cut and placed. Caulked around the edges. All that remains is to tile. Doing that today.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The split systems are used almost universally in countries where energy cost are higher than in the US. They are the primary new and retrofit installation in Brazil. Typically the condensing unit is hung on the outside wall of high rise complexes. It would seem to me a perfect application for a built in garage not previously heated or cooled and a quite easy installation in conventional frame construction typical in the US.
I may be doing this one soon in the garage, which will obviously be doubling as an art studio (unless I can convince the wife to go a different route).

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Tiling done. Still have to grout. Thank God my wife got a busy pattern that will hide my many errors. Tiling sucks.

Really nice job there, Dub. Thanks for adding your project to the thread and the pics were especially helpful.

At some point - I need to re-do the plumbing atop my water heater but am hoping to use shark bites where needed.

Right now I'm working on plans for a new roof - aluminum standing seam! Won't do this until after hurricane season and cooler weather.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Really nice job there, Dub. Thanks for adding your project to the thread and the pics were especially helpful.

At some point - I need to re-do the plumbing atop my water heater but am hoping to use shark bites where needed.

Right now I'm working on plans for a new roof - aluminum standing seam! Won't do this until after hurricane season and cooler weather.
My advice is to learn to sweat. Deere Lowered what a useful skill.

Got plumber buddies. None of them recommend shark bite behind the wall. If you have a basement, plain sight, sure, but never behind the wall.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
My advice is to learn to sweat. Deere Lowered what a useful skill.

Got plumber buddies. None of them recommend shark bite behind the wall. If you have a basement, plain sight, sure, but never behind the wall.
Thanks - I know how to sweat and have done it as well as used shark bites. Agree on when to use either. This is in plain sight on top of the wh in a water closet. Easy to keep an eye on.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Want to talk worrisome? If my MIL's last two houses in Ross Bridge are any indicator, plumbing exclusively with PEX is now the norm. That would worry me to death.

:eek:

To be honest - I haven't decided what I will do for mine. But sharks will be an option if it made sense (for me).

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Want to talk worrisome? If my MIL's last two houses in Ross Bridge are any indicator, plumbing exclusively with PEX is now the norm. That would worry me to death.
Not sure what a good choice for piping is now. In some parts of the country, the chemicals in the water are eating the copper. Some of the copper is from China and frequently develops pinhole leaks. There have been concerns about chemicals from plastic leaching into the water. Some studies show PEX allowing fungus growth inside the piping. No fittings in the wall.

I would probably use PEX if I built a new house. Using the solid round crimp on fittings.

PS AUDub, ever thought about shaving your legs? :p

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.