Useful DIY VIDEOs thread.....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You can also add baking soda...works with the bleach as a cleansing agent...I also diluted the bleach so as not to damage plants, etc...had a Bama hat with bleach stains all over it.
We had a friend/handyman help us out with some painting and now I have a bunch of hardware still to replace (have done some). He wasn't a label reader and was using concentrate straight...

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
If you can't cut the water off, of even if you can, you can stuff bread up the pipe to absorb water until you can get the job done...
Oh, yes. I've since learned the bread trick and have done it multiple times at this point.

I've become sort of the family plumber, I'm afraid. Done two water heaters, pressure reducing valves and various other fixes for family, and multiple fixtures in my own house since then.

May have to start charging market rates here soon.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Was looking at different surface washers today and ran across this unrelated video. I never knew they made contraptions to inject sand through your power washer. The attachment device isn't very expensive and using sand as a medium seems to have it's advantages.

He has links on his YT page to the unit he's using - but this one IMHO seems to be a better unit and also costs less:

Tool Daily Pressure Washer Sandblasting Kit, Wet Sandblaster Attachment, 5000 PSI, 1/4 Inch Quick Disconnect
Looks like I'd be better off using my gas powered p/w rather than the electric one.

BTW....if you click on this guy's channel you'll see he's really lit it up with a whole plethora of DIY vids which cover a wide range of projects and they are really well done.

Plus he's got a cow dog - I noticed her at the very end of the video...lol. .....

Here's the link to his You Tube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sixtyfiveford

• Thank You
Reactions: Toddrn

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Jimmy Diresta is a New York state based craftsman with 1.67 million subscribers on YouTube. In this video he builds a stained glass window utilizing CNC Laser and water jet technology. It is another view of how CNC technology is changing custom made products of all type. If interested check out his canoe build on his YouTube channel.

Canoe Build

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell and Bazza

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Was looking at different surface washers today and ran across this unrelated video. I never knew they made contraptions to inject sand through your power washer. The attachment device isn't very expensive and using sand as a medium seems to have it's advantages.

He has links on his YT page to the unit he's using - but this one IMHO seems to be a better unit and also costs less:

Tool Daily Pressure Washer Sandblasting Kit, Wet Sandblaster Attachment, 5000 PSI, 1/4 Inch Quick Disconnect
Looks like I'd be better off using my gas powered p/w rather than the electric one.

BTW....if you click on this guy's channel you'll see he's really lit it up with a whole plethora of DIY vids which cover a wide range of projects and they are really well done.

Plus he's got a cow dog - I noticed her at the very end of the video...lol. .....

Here's the link to his You Tube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sixtyfiveford
I bought a Stihl brand battery-driven blower and a Stihl lawnmower this year, something I never dreamed I'd do. I'd first bought the battery chainsaw and it performed so well, I was open to the idea of the other two. The batteries are all interchangeable. We have a small area which we placed in zoysia after last fall's drainage project, with a small adjacent area to be sodded with it this spring. The battery mower is perfect for it. I do have a big John Deere for the portion which isn't so civilized and is a lot larger. Battery technology has really come a long way. With Stihl, the price is somewhat a barrier...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I bought a Stihl brand battery-driven blower and a Stihl lawnmower this year, something I never dreamed I'd do. I'd first bought the battery chainsaw and it performed so well, I was open to the idea of the other two. The batteries are all interchangeable. We have a small area which we placed in zoysia after last fall's drainage project, with a small adjacent area to be sodded with it this spring. The battery mower is perfect for it. I do have a big John Deere for the portion which isn't so civilized and is a lot larger. Battery technology has really come a long way. With Stihl, the price is somewhat a barrier...
We downsized over the summer, and now have a garden home — the house is free-standing (as in, we don’t share a wall with anyone), but the lot is small, which I love.

Battery-powered Ryobi edger, blower and string trimmer work great. Have an old-fashioned non-powered Fiskars reel mower. No cords, no gasoline. Except for shrub trimmer — still have a corded version of that, and have so far managed not to cut the cord and short the house out.

Like Stihl, the Ryobi batteries are interchangeable amongst the various tools. So far, reliability has been fine. The setup might not have the oomph needed for a true full-sized yard, but a full charge is plenty for my little plot.

For my purposes, I’m loving battery power.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We downsized over the summer, and now have a garden home — the house is free-standing (as in, we don’t share a wall with anyone), but the lot is small, which I love.

Battery-powered Ryobi edger, blower and string trimmer work great. Have an old-fashioned non-powered Fiskars reel mower. No cords, no gasoline. Except for shrub trimmer — still have a corded version of that, and have so far managed not to cut the cord and short the house out.

Like Stihl, the Ryobi batteries are interchangeable amongst the various tools. So far, reliability has been fine. The setup might not have the oomph needed for a true full-sized yard, but a full charge is plenty for my little plot.

For my purposes, I’m loving battery power.
Great! Ryobi is a reliable brand and I have some of their tools. Outside the "civilized" part of our three acres, I have a lot of heavy duty weed/undergrowth work for the trimmer, so I've stuck with the Echo gas trimmer, which I selected with some input from Bazza...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
This is an excellent thread. I need to come over to non-sports more often.
Good to see you here, Con and I agree it's a very useful thread! Just today I was looking for a video on brake caliper overhaul for my old mid-70's BMW motorcycle and ran across one by this German, who apparently lives in Northern California. His video was so detailed (surprise) I had to look at his YT channel and my goodness he's got a TON of other vids covered all kinds of things. Even traffic and his new German Shepherd dog....lol.

This is his YT Channel: Heiko' Garage.

Here's one of his vids about how to properly pronounce the names of several German made firearms:

Reactions: Con

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
OK today I was back in plumbing-mode.

Clogged kitchen sink drain.

Last time this happened was probably 14 years or so ago. I called a buddy who is a plumber - and he knew a guy. I left the door unlocked that day and when I got home the drain was unclogged. No idea how he did it.

I already had a hand auger I picked up somewhere (HF?) but never used so this was my chance. It ended up going about 5' or so and then not going any further. This is the one I have, made by Brasscraft:

So off to YT I went and ran across a cordless power unit by Ryobi that looked promising. I checked out the YT vid (posted below) and figured for $70 what do I have to lose at this point. My reasoning was that using something 'motorized' will help move the cable past whatever it was that blocked my hand auger.

Just a few minutes ago I finished with it and looks like it did it's job.

The guy at HD (who was a plumber in his prior life) tried to sell me on using the hand powered Rigid auger. I told him I already tried a hand powered unit. Asked him if he ever used this Ryobi auger. "No." Tell you what though......that section where they had all those plumbing tools was NICE! The selection you have now is nothing short of amazing.

This is a nice little unit though and I'm sure it paid for itself today and will return dividends in the future too.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Last time this happened was probably 14 years or so ago. I called a buddy who is a plumber - and he knew a guy. I left the door unlocked that day and when I got home the drain was unclogged. No idea how he did it.

I already had a hand auger I picked up somewhere (HF?) but never used so this was my chance. It ended up going about 5' or so and then not going any further. This is the one I have, made by Brasscraft:

So off to YT I went and ran across a cordless power unit by Ryobi that looked promising. I checked out the YT vid (posted below) and figured for $70 what do I have to lose at this point. My reasoning was that using something 'motorized' will help move the cable past whatever it was that blocked my hand auger.

The guy at HD (who was a plumber in his prior life) tried to sell me on using the hand powered Rigid auger. I told him I already tried a hand powered unit. Asked him if he ever used this Ryobi auger. "No." Tell you what though......that section where they had all those plumbing tools was NICE! The selection you have now is nothing short of amazing.

This is a nice little unit though and I'm sure it paid for itself today and will return dividends in the future too.

Would this work on a slow toilet? Our master bath toilet doesn’t flush all the way. Usually takes 3-5 flushes depending on the load. Was probably going to replace it this summer but if I could clean out the pipes, I wonder if it would flush better.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga

Even if you don't have a garbage disposal you still get grease build up in the kitchen drain. If you take out your pea trap and look at the drain going out you will see it. Now that you have cleared the clog it would still be good to use a bottle of the foaming drain cleaner. All you do is pour it slowly down the drain, let it sit for an hour and then run hot water down the drain. This will help get rid of stuff that is still stuck to the pipe.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Would this work on a slow toilet? Our master bath toilet doesn’t flush all the way. Usually takes 3-5 flushes depending on the load. Was probably going to replace it this summer but if I could clean out the pipes, I wonder if it would flush better.
I've not tried it myself on a toilet, but I would think so. You can read through all the ratings it received on it's Home Depot listing: CLICK

Even if you don't have a garbage disposal you still get grease build up in the kitchen drain. If you take out your pea trap and look at the drain going out you will see it. Now that you have cleared the clog it would still be good to use a bottle of the foaming drain cleaner. All you do is pour it slowly down the drain, let it sit for an hour and then run hot water down the drain. This will help get rid of stuff that is still stuck to the pipe.
Yeah I got a pretty good view of it when I did this job so I know what you're talking about. Haven't thought about any chemical treatments but appreciate the tip and will research. Thanks!

Reactions: Toddrn

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Flum, JMHO, but before you try snaking it, you might want to try one of those slow drain treatments. It might take a few weeks, but at $10-12 a bottle, even if you have to retreat every 6 months or so, its worth it to me to avoid the alternative. It doesn't always work, but it has for us. If you try one, just make sure its the type for toilets because some of the ones that foam and are designed for kitchen or sink use can cause the toilet to crack.

If you do have to snake, fluidmaster has a waxless seal that works great, can be reseated over and over, and is 100 times less messy than the wax. I'll never use a wax one again.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I got a new roof this week. Went from shingle to aluminum standing seam. The old shingle roof was put on just prior to my buying the house in '96 - so easily 25 years old.

I was originally going to try doing this job myself but chickened out at the end. Was concerned about liability if someone I hired got hurt, even though this is a low slope single story open gable roof....so a very easy re-roof project.

The contractor I hired started Monday with the tear off and dry in, the metal arrived (yesterday) Tuesday, and the installation crew came this morning and got it done.

Wasn't cheap but this sucker should last way past my lifetime! :)

IMG_7491.JPGIMG_7504.JPG

I have two vents on the gable ends. I have some work to do on my chimney box too but nothing major.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I got a new roof this week. Went from shingle to aluminum standing seam. The old shingle roof was put on just prior to my buying the house in '96 - so easily 25 years old.

I was originally going to try doing this job myself but chickened out at the end. Was concerned about liability if someone I hired got hurt, even though this is a low slope single story open gable roof....so a very easy re-roof project.

The contractor I hired started Monday with the tear off and dry in, the metal arrived (yesterday) Tuesday, and the installation crew came this morning and got it done.

Wasn't cheap but this sucker should last way past my lifetime! :)

View attachment 6117View attachment 6118

I have two vents on the gable ends. I have some work to do on my chimney box too but nothing major.
And you will sleep good when it rains...both for no leaks and for the pitter pat on the roof!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Toddrn and Bazza

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Flum, JMHO, but before you try snaking it, you might want to try one of those slow drain treatments. It might take a few weeks, but at $10-12 a bottle, even if you have to retreat every 6 months or so, its worth it to me to avoid the alternative. It doesn't always work, but it has for us. If you try one, just make sure its the type for toilets because some of the ones that foam and are designed for kitchen or sink use can cause the toilet to crack.

If you do have to snake, fluidmaster has a waxless seal that works great, can be reseated over and over, and is 100 times less messy than the wax. I'll never use a wax one again.
I discovered the fluid master rings last summer when I redid a bathroom. So much nicer that wax!
Thanks, I’ll check out that slow flow stuff and see how it does.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Getting some things done around here before it gets too hot.

Yesterday I built a little 8'x8' covered storage area using some of the leftover panels from my roof job. I tried to use tin snips to cut the panels (I cut each one in half to make two 8' 10" lengths from one piece) but they were terrible so just ended up using my hackzall and a new metal cutting blade - which was a little noisy but sure did the job well. The panels are 16" wide so I used 3 of them, each cut in half, to give me 6 panels total.

I attached a 2x4 to my house used tapcons first. Then set two 4x4 posts out about 8' and another 2x4 across those. Then ran 1x4's for the panels to be screwed to. The two sides are enclosed with existing wooden fencing, one of which is part of my outside shower enclosure. It has a slight slope for storm water runoff.

Kept thinking I gotta make this sucker hurricane proof so it's fastened down pretty good.

I still have 4 of these panels left.

IMG_7874.JPGIMG_7875.JPG

Reactions: seebell

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Then of all things....yesterday while finishing the storage area project I had a beef brisket in the oven cooking on low (250). When I came in just before dark I took it out to test it and it was still pretty tough. So I ramped up the oven temp and after 15-20 minutes, nothing was happening. Tested the burners and nothing. Ended up being the 220v receptacle had corrosion - which kinda surprised me considering it was inside the house. So ran to HD and picked up a new one and finished the brisket today - which turned out just amazing. :giggle:

Dodged a bullet there - a $7 part and back in the saddle....

Before and after pics.......

IMG_7876.JPG

IMG_7880.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: seebell

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I'm surprised at how much of a breeze this was. Wife is all "home improvement-y" during the quarantine (while I'm still working, natch) and wanted to mount our TV on the wall. Probably 2 hours of labor and 40 bucks in parts.

Needed to run a new outlet, but that was easy since there was an outlet directly beneath where I wanted it. The hole is where I'll be routing the AV cables as soon as they arrive. Separate channel for code reasons and all that.

Reactions: Bazza

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.