Useful DIY VIDEOs thread.....

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Reason that bottom hole is all ragged is that it was already there and I expanded it. Previous homeowner had Cat5 routed throughout and did a half ass job of it. I expanded the hole with my jab saw and cut one above it route HDMI. We have an entertainment center coming to go beneath the TV and a sectional. Going to look good.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Again with the home improvement stuff. Sod. This is my yard beforehand.

There had been a 20ish foot dogwood there. As with most yards, the rule is "lawn or shade, pick one," and with runoff the top half of the yard was rocky soil and little else. The dogwood was on deaths door, so I cut it down and rented a stump grinder to eliminate it.

Not a fast thing, and I was surprised at how much dogwood stinks when you're grinding it.

Rented a big ass tiller and went to town. 6 inches.

And down. A pallet of Zoysia for areas that catch shade and a pallet of Bermuda for the rest. Now to wait for it to root.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Looking good there @AUDub - if your Zoysia starts getting brown areas with the grass dying and you've been able to rule out cultural conditions, like water, it might be a fungus issue. You can consult your sod supplier or any decent lawn care company in your area for specifics - just wanted to mention it. A lot of times the Zoysia is still alive underground and a couple fungicide treatments will bring it back.

What varieties did you use of each turfgrass?

Reactions: AUDub

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Today I received delivery of this little power scrubber. Hoping it will help me with some of the domestics around here. Tile floors and bathroom plus maybe some other stuff.

Here's the video and then some pics below. Comes with different scrubber heads as the video explains.

IMG_8182.JPG

Without the extension:
IMG_8184.JPG

With the extension --- plus with the extension 'extended' (that chrome piece telescopes).
IMG_8189.JPG

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I am attaching cable box to back of tv with velcro -- did this with other tv's and the remote works well. For some reason, with a cheap (but good) Vizio the cable remote signal will not work well...any ideas? Does sunlight interfere with IR?

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Looking good there @AUDub - if your Zoysia starts getting brown areas with the grass dying and you've been able to rule out cultural conditions, like water, it might be a fungus issue. You can consult your sod supplier or any decent lawn care company in your area for specifics - just wanted to mention it. A lot of times the Zoysia is still alive underground and a couple fungicide treatments will bring it back.

What varieties did you use of each turfgrass?
The Zoysia is emerald and the Bermuda is blackjack. The Bermuda has already effectively shallow rooted, the Zoysia is taking a bit longer. Not too worried about that since it's, you know,, Zoysia and we've had a bit of a cool snap on evening temperatures. Expect it to throw down when we stop going below 50 at night.

There are a few spots I need to hit with topdressing, unavoidable when laying on a pretty hefty slope, but pretty happy with how it's going.

Reactions: Bazza

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Again with the home improvement stuff. Sod. This is my yard beforehand.

There had been a 20ish foot dogwood there. As with most yards, the rule is "lawn or shade, pick one," and with runoff the top half of the yard was rocky soil and little else. The dogwood was on deaths door, so I cut it down and rented a stump grinder to eliminate it.

Not a fast thing, and I was surprised at how much dogwood stinks when you're grinding it.

Rented a big ass tiller and went to town. 6 inches.

And down. A pallet of Zoysia for areas that catch shade and a pallet of Bermuda for the rest. Now to wait for it to root.

We put this Emerald Zoysia in last fall and it appears to have rooted in well. It's greening-up, but it seems awfully slow. I keep telling myself we haven't had an 80F day yet and we've had nights in the 30s in the last week...Drainage work - new sod.jpg

Reactions: Bazza and AUDub

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
We put this Emerald Zoysia in last fall and it appears to have rooted in well. It's greening-up, but it seems awfully slow. I keep telling myself we haven't had an 80F day yet and we've had nights in the 30s in the last week...View attachment 7978
It would not be a surprise to see Zoysia not totally green in early May particularly this year and on Monte Sano. Prior to our temperatures warming so much (40 years ago) it was very common to see Tifton Bermuda being completely brown on May 1 in the valley. I used to be big on turf grasses but landscape for birds, bees and butterflies now! :)

Reactions: seebell and Bazza

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It would not be a surprise to see Zoysia not totally green in early May particularly this year and on Monte Sano. Prior to our temperatures warming so much (40 years ago) it was very common to see Tifton Bermuda being completely brown on May 1 in the valley. I used to be big on turf grasses but landscape for birds, bees and butterflies now! :)
So do we, mostly. Not much choice, in the middle of 3 acres of woods. This is our one little indulgence...

Reactions: UAH

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The Zoysia is emerald and the Bermuda is blackjack. The Bermuda has already effectively shallow rooted, the Zoysia is taking a bit longer. Not too worried about that since it's, you know,, Zoysia and we've had a bit of a cool snap on evening temperatures. Expect it to throw down when we stop going below 50 at night.

There are a few spots I need to hit with topdressing, unavoidable when laying on a pretty hefty slope, but pretty happy with how it's going.
They have quite a few different varieties of Bermuda now. I've never used it in any of my landscape projects but would have used the old standby "Tifway 419" on the nature playground project I started, had I stayed on.

I have used Zoysia but mostly the "Empire" variety and on one project we used one from Australia called "Icon". Zoysia is a very tough turf grass - as is Bermuda so should work out well for you.

Remember to consider a fungicide if things go south on you.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Looks like our local HD is open at later hours now - 8pm instead of the 6:30pm closing time they had for the past month or so.

I was there earlier today but forgot something so will head back around 7pm.

I'm building another bamboo gate - this one for the other end of my main driveway. The one I built before worked out so well, I decided to duplicate it on the other end. They were out of the natural bamboo so I got this brown stained version, which should be just fine.

IMG_8204.JPG

Here is the first gate:
IMG_7814.JPG

.....and this is where the new one will be going:

IMG_8207.JPG

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Gate is up! Little crooked so will either lower left side where hook and eye hinges are or raise the right side where the caster wheel attaches.

Still have to construct the pipe at right atop that secures and holds it from swaying.

Not sure now about that dark brown colour either.

IMG_8218.JPGIMG_8219.JPG

Maybe after I get this sign up it will look better..... :LOL:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
For now, this is what I wound up with for the securing rod at the top of my new gate. Used some plastic 3/4" straps and a steel rod I had in my "stash".

It even had a little curve on one end which makes it look like a handle...lol.....

IMG_8236.JPGIMG_8237.JPG

Reactions: Toddrn and TIDE-HSV

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I have a 30'x12' storage area on the north side of my house. It's inside a wooden privacy fence. When I built it I wanted something high enough to store stuff hanging from the top but since then had concluded it looks bad from the street and would be better if I lowered it down to about 6' in height. Right now it's about 10' high so I need to "chop down" about 4' of height.

Original thought was to de-construct the whole thing and rebuild. Then I had a brain storm. Why not take down each of the 4x4 posts one at a time until the right height is achieved? Take say 12" at a time. It's not super heavy so should be able to handle the weight of one post at a time. I bought some 3x3 metal 1/4" plates with holes already drilled at the corners to secure each posts as I rotate through and drop them. Secure the plate at the bottom and then use the top 2 holes each time I drop the post. Then when done come back and use longer supports.

For this job I will get my helper to assist. If it works out it will save me a TON of extra work.

I'm also planning on enclosing this little structure to help keep the salt air and moisture out. I'd like to keep my motorcycles in it too.

IMG_8234.JPGIMG_8162.JPG

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
OK - I'm finally getting around to the garage roof "coating" project.

It's a flat roof with peel and stick roll roofing we put down about a year ago and in part because of the brown color of the material, it gets hot inside.

I found a product by Black Jack that checks all the boxes for my application so picked up a container at Lowes. For some reason I thought one container would be enough but discovered I was wrong and will need at least one more.

Stuff goes for over $200 per container (5 gal.) so not cheap - but will be worth it of it works as advertised.

Started by pressure washing the roof this morning and then tonight got the first container down.

Goal is to reduce temps in summer months and also extend roof life.

IMG_8400.JPG

IMG_8407.JPG

IMG_8419.JPG

IMG_8416.JPG

IMG_8417.JPG

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It's a flat roof with peel and stick roll roofing we put down about a year ago and in part because of the brown color of the material, it gets hot inside.

I found a product by Black Jack that checks all the boxes for my application so picked up a container at Lowes. For some reason I thought one container would be enough but discovered I was wrong and will need at least one more.

Stuff goes for over $200 per container (5 gal.) so not cheap - but will be worth it of it works as advertised.

Started by pressure washing the roof this morning and then tonight got the first container down.

View attachment 8154

View attachment 8155

View attachment 8156

View attachment 8157

View attachment 8158
Are you rolling it on?

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga

View attachment 8154

View attachment 8155

View attachment 8156

View attachment 8157

View attachment 8158
Keep us updated on this and let us know how it works long term, Thanks

Reactions: seebell

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Keep us updated on this and let us know how it works long term, Thanks
Will do, if I can remember. I know for a fact it's going to help reduce temps inside which should be apparent pretty quickly.

This stuff is amazing. It's silicone so think rubberized - like undercoating. It's like my roof now has a condom on it made out of breast implants.

I can see now why this product has such good reviews. I just gave my roof a huge extension of it's shelf life.

The cost was $229 per 5 gal. bucket and so far I've used 2 buckets and looks like one more gallon will finish it. Those sell for $70 so my material costs will end up just under $600. Not bad!

I also figured out using a long nap roller helps in the application - for my roof, which has a rough texture. Yesterday I was using a 1/4" nap and today I used a 1/2" nap roller and it went down a LOT quicker.

IMG_8425.JPG

Couldn't help but think about this scene while I was working up there.......lol......

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Will do, if I can remember. I know for a fact it's going to help reduce temps inside which should be apparent pretty quickly.

This stuff is amazing. It's silicone so think rubberized - like undercoating. It's like my roof now has a condom on it made out of breast implants.

I can see now why this product has such good reviews. I just gave my roof a huge extension of it's shelf life.

The cost was $229 per 5 gal. bucket and so far I've used 2 buckets and looks like one more gallon will finish it. Those sell for $70 so my material costs will end up just under $600. Not bad!

I also figured out using a long nap roller helps in the application - for my roof, which has a rough texture. Yesterday I was using a 1/4" nap and today I used a 1/2" nap roller and it went down a LOT quicker.

View attachment 8174

Couldn't help but think about this scene while I was working up there.......lol......

Love that movie, can't tell you how many times I have watched it.

Reactions: Bazza

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.