Useful DIY VIDEOs thread.....

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Started my "canopy lowering" project today. So far so good. But man it's hot out. Taking a break to cool off.

Back to the subject of sod. Just down the street from one of my accounts they delivered some Zoysia. I think it's the variety "Icon" I mentioned earlier. Looks like they ran a little short....

IMG_8447.JPGIMG_8482.JPG

They have one of those Screw Pines like me. Very hard to see in the photo but there's a big fruit hanging down. Mine isn't old enough to form fruit yet but it does flower like crazy. These trees are extremely messy but also very cool looking.

You know what they say...everything in life is a trade off.

Reactions: seebell and Toddrn

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Started my "canopy lowering" project today. So far so good. But man it's hot out. Taking a break to cool off.

Back to the subject of sod. Just down the street from one of my accounts they delivered some Zoysia. I think it's the variety "Icon" I mentioned earlier. Looks like they ran a little short....

View attachment 8330View attachment 8331

They have one of those Screw Pines like me. Very hard to see in the photo but there's a big fruit hanging down. Mine isn't old enough to form fruit yet but it does flower like crazy. These trees are extremely messy but also very cool looking.

Our emerald zoysia still looks deliriously happy. I'm actually going to have to cut it soon for the first time. It won't quite kill 100% of invaders, but it does make around 99%...

Reactions: Bazza

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga

View attachment 8330View attachment 8331

Can you eat the fruit? Looks like a pineapple.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The Silverado's idle has had the funky chicken for the past week or so. Drops down after starting and then engine stalls. Wasn't happening all the time, but often enough to warrant action.

This morning I cleaned both the MAFS and the TB with this cleaner kit from CRC.

Neither one was super dirty but did have a light layer of soot.

So far so good. Engine idles as it should.

I also dumped some fuel additive in the tank while I was at it.
IMG_8596.JPGIMG_8597.JPGIMG_8601.JPGIMG_8600.JPGIMG_8602.JPGIMG_8603.JPG

Reactions: TIDE-HSV and Toddrn

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Followup per the previous post - after one month - truck still idling perfect!

Now something more in keeping with this time of year.

Realize, a conventional air conditioner will be more practical in many cases. But in other cases - this might be the way to go.....

Also, as DIY vids go - this one was very well done!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Anyone with helpful hints from personal experience in insulating a garage door? I've watched several videos on the subject.
Wish I could contribute, NT17, but I have no experience with this. My garage door is fiberglass and my automatic door opener hasn't worked in probably the last 15 years, so I open and close by hand. Two car garage so glad it's fiberglass!

At some point I want to climate control the garage but not at that point yet. When I do I'll have to get the automatic opener working again and insulate the door. I would like to use a ductless mini split to do the climate control part.

My roof is flat (peel and stick roll roofing) so I did recently coat it with a white silicon product (rolled on) that has really helped drop the temps down inside.

Keep us posted on your endeavours, if possible - thanks!

Reactions: NationalTitles18

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I got it done. Looks like someone pretending to know what they're doing did it, but it's done.

Have a portable ac that's acting up but a mini-split is in the future. If my "magic" didn't work on this ac I'm moving one from the kitchen out there. Hopefully it won't get too hot in the kitchen if I have to do that (the larger one will remain there - apparently no one out here ever heard of central heat and air).

I'll be checking on it in a few then decide.

I can tell, despite the poor quality of the workmanship, that less heat is being transferred into the room when the sun hits that side in the afternoon (west facing). The metal studs are still fairly hot, but the foam panels are good. If I can shave off 5-10 F I'll be happy now and in winter.

Thank you.

Reactions: seebell and Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I got it done. Looks like someone pretending to know what they're doing did it, but it's done.

Have a portable ac that's acting up but a mini-split is in the future. If my "magic" didn't work on this ac I'm moving one from the kitchen out there. Hopefully it won't get too hot in the kitchen if I have to do that (the larger one will remain there - apparently no one out here ever heard of central heat and air).

I'll be checking on it in a few then decide.

I can tell, despite the poor quality of the workmanship, that less heat is being transferred into the room when the sun hits that side in the afternoon (west facing). The metal studs are still fairly hot, but the foam panels are good. If I can shave off 5-10 F I'll be happy now and in winter.

Thank you.
Climate change is real - that's the culprit, I suspect.

I was going to use a window unit for mine - and may yet - but the mini split would be so much better and of course more cost effective as well.

Some of those window units - the smaller ones - don't have the capacity to turn off when a particular temp is reached. The fans keep running but the compressor doesn't. Eats up electricity. I just bought a plug with a built in thermostat that I intend to use with a fan - but it's suitable for heaters and air conditioners too. Something to keep in mind.

This is the one bought:

Lux WIN100 Automatic Heating & Cooling 5-2 Day Programmable Outlet Thermostat, Compatible with Portable A/C, Fans, and Space Heaters

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Climate change is real - that's the culprit, I suspect.

I was going to use a window unit for mine - and may yet - but the mini split would be so much better and of course more cost effective as well.

Some of those window units - the smaller ones - don't have the capacity to turn off when a particular temp is reached. The fans keep running but the compressor doesn't. Eats up electricity. I just bought a plug with a built in thermostat that I intend to use with a fan - but it's suitable for heaters and air conditioners too. Something to keep in mind.

This is the one bought:

Lux WIN100 Automatic Heating & Cooling 5-2 Day Programmable Outlet Thermostat, Compatible with Portable A/C, Fans, and Space Heaters
If I can get it working (or changed out) I'll have it plugged into the inkbird, which will turn it off when the desired temp is reached.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Followup per the previous post - after one month - truck still idling perfect!

Now something more in keeping with this time of year.

Realize, a conventional air conditioner will be more practical in many cases. But in other cases - this might be the way to go.....

Also, as DIY vids go - this one was very well done!

My grandfather had something similar made in his barbershop. He also had a large block of ice behind a box fan. Kept it very cool in the Alabama heat.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
It's hurricane season - as most here are aware of.

Anyone who has gone through a hurricane before fully understands how helpful it is to be proactive in preparation.

And I don't mean waiting for some talking head on the telly to inform you of what you should be doing.

It means preparing right now!

Having a decent generator is what I consider to be one of the top items....if not THE top item.

I have one already - a WEN 5500 watt that is going on 15 years old. It only gets used during hurricane season and only when we have a power outage so it has relatively low hours. I have replaced a few components on it over the years including the fuel lines, on/off switch, and engine recoil assembly.

I haven't run it since last season so am planning on getting it out of my garage this week and making sure it's operational.

But I was also thinking of getting a backup - just in case.

Again - trying to think in a pro-active nature. (what if mine has an issue during a power outage that I can't repair? Yikes!)

So this is the model I have decided to buy and am going to order it tonight (while the gettin's good, as they say!)

Westinghouse iGen2500 Portable Inverter Generator

Dang thing is less than 50 lbs. and about 1/4 the size of my WEN so can be moved around very easily and even transported to my Mom's house if needed.

It's a little less power than my WEN but should be large enough at least to power a window AC, fridge, TV, and lamp....and maybe a few other small items.

No doubt it's even quieter than my WEN.

So I found this video and thought it might be useful to post here. I like the style of presentation here! Honda makes an excellent product - no doubt. But for half the money - I'll take the Westy.....

Reactions: seebell

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
After I posted this - I did some more thinking and looking and elected to get this model instead. It will be here Friday. Runs on either propane or gas. Electric start. Runs around 100 lbs and not super large in dimension.

Thinking if I have a couple tanks of propane around in addition to gas I will have more flexibility wrt fuel reserves.

Right around $500, including sales tax.

Rainier R4400DF Dual Fuel (Gas and Propane) Portable Generator with Electric Start - 4400 Peak Watts & 3600 Rated Watts

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
After I posted this - I did some more thinking and looking and elected to get this model instead. It will be here Friday. Runs on either propane or gas. Electric start. Runs around 100 lbs and not super large in dimension.

Thinking if I have a couple tanks of propane around in addition to gas I will have more flexibility wrt fuel reserves.

Right around $500, including sales tax.

Rainier R4400DF Dual Fuel (Gas and Propane) Portable Generator with Electric Start - 4400 Peak Watts & 3600 Rated Watts

I have a very similar portable generator - have been using it for more than 10 years. I can run my entire house on it for weeks without problems (other than keeping it fueled).

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I have a very similar portable generator - have been using it for more than 10 years. I can run my entire house on it for weeks without problems (other than keeping it fueled).
Yours is a duel fuel unit?

What state is this in - Ohio?

If so, you don't get hurricanes - so what are the circumstances that necessitate the use of a generator? Ice storms?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yours is a duel fuel unit?

What state is this in - Ohio?

If so, you don't get hurricanes - so what are the circumstances that necessitate the use of a generator? Ice storms?
I live most of the year in NJ, but bought this originally for our place in Cocoa Beach. We lose power to blizzards and ice storms in Ohio and NJ every year - sometimes for weeks. We also get hurricanes in NJ.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I live most of the year in NJ, but bought this originally for our place in Cocoa Beach. We lose power to blizzards and ice storms in Ohio and NJ every year - sometimes for weeks. We also get hurricanes in NJ.
No kidding. Where in NJ if you don't mind me asking?

My Dad was born in Newark and also his mother and sister (my grandma and aunt) moved from Staten Island down to Manasquan back in the 70's/80's. I'd visit and get some surfing in at "the shore".

Also relatives on my step-father's side in Tom's River - really nice people. I helped pick tomatoes for their farm when I visited there one summer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No kidding. Where in NJ if you don't mind me asking?

My Dad was born in Newark and also his mother and sister (my grandma and aunt) moved from Staten Island down to Manasquan back in the 70's/80's. I'd visit and get some surfing in at "the shore".

Also relatives on my step-father's side in Tom's River - really nice people. I helped pick tomatoes for their farm when I visited there one summer.
I live in the country, all the way up in the northwest corner of the state near the PA state line. Beautiful country up here, but the winters suck. We usually spend much of the winter in FL, but not this year.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I live in the country, all the way up in the northwest corner of the state near the PA state line. Beautiful country up here, but the winters suck. We usually spend much of the winter in FL, but not this year.
Very good friend of mine has a nice spread in Petersburg, PA and I hope one day to visit. He and I did a lot of landscape projects together when he owned a tree farm here. He ended up selling it --- and also more recently his tree farm in PA. Good guy - collected and sold seed and also lots of Christmas trees every winter along with other varieties.

Winter is still a ways away so don't give up hope. It doesn't really start down here until January anyway..... :)

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.