Useful DIY VIDEOs thread.....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
nope. dialogue box says:
That is what I am getting, Bazz.
OK thanks for the feedback, guys. I dropped a note to Brett a couple minutes ago so hopefully he will be able to help out.

BTW, I just ordered the same flag pole light for my Mom and will get hers set up the same way next week. This will be a surprise gift for her. She's a proud Navy vet from WWII so this will make her very happy.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
OK thanks for the feedback, guys. I dropped a note to Brett a couple minutes ago so hopefully he will be able to help out.

BTW, I just ordered the same flag pole light for my Mom and will get hers set up the same way next week. This will be a surprise gift for her. She's a proud Navy vet from WWII so this will make her very happy.
Looking at it now. Trying to find why it keeps making some be approved and not others. There is an answer somewhere! ;)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
those are now approved and should be seen by everyone. I made some changes and think I have fixed so no approval necessary now. Try again bazza.
All showing now for me.
Looks like they are visible to all now, Brett.

Thank you once again for all your help in providing this amazing forum for our community. If there's ever anything I can do for you.....:cheers2: - it's yours!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I was at my Mom's yesterday to drop off some provisions and trim her Queen Palms and while I was there her HVAC contractor was performing their 6 month checkup. The technician detected a low volume of refrigerant and discovered the leak was coming from corrosion on the condenser coils. Mom's 10 year warranty that covers everything was about to expire in 12 days so she's getting a coil replacement plus refrigerant at no charge!

So while discussing corrosion aspects with the tech he mentioned a product they use that can be sprayed on the coil itself with no negative repercussions. He said they sell it as a service but you can buy the product and just do it yourself as well.

I serviced my condenser unit last fall (as depicted in the video below) - except for spraying any corrosion protection product. I'm going to investigate and will report back here.

In the meantime, from down under, here's something that might be of interest with summer on it's way:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Been a while since I posted here but am getting ready to purchase one of these paintless dent removal kits and thought I'd share this video that demonstrates how they work in case it's of interest to anyone here (including any of you land cruiser owners! ;)). Amazon sells these kits and they are not expensive at all.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Looking forward to you giving us a video or your opinion as to how well it works. Have missed this thread. Glad you brought it back up!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Looking forward to you giving us a video or your opinion as to how well it works. Have missed this thread. Glad you brought it back up!
You're welcome and I certainly will.

I haven't ordered anything yet because there are so many kits to choose from it will take me a few days at least to figure out the best choice for my needs.

Stay tuned......

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Working with Tapcons today putting up a new handrail for the staircase off my back patio.

For most projects where I'm attaching wood to concrete, I don't think you can beat Tapcons.

But it's interesting to look at some other options and I ran across this nicely done video that demonstrates some of them. Really nice visual aid to use that concrete block for effect.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Hello again fellow DIYers!

Got an email last night from my oldest brother in Virginia and he mentioned he uses a device called a foam cannon for cleaning his cars, truck, RV, and house siding. I had never heard of it but did some snooping around and ordered one from Amazon. I then did some more snooping and ran across some YT videos and also a November 2013 entry in "The Garage Journal" forum as follows. The video is posted below. I will be cleaning my Mom's siding sometime next month as well as her paver drive and plan to try this technique.

--------------------------------

Like most "DIY'er" homeowners I see around my neighborhood, I mistakenly thought when you "pressure washed" homes you used a lot of pressure to blow the dirt off. Well, I found out that's actually not really how the pros do it and after watching some guys started doing some research.

The phrase is "soft washing" and it's the "new thing" (as in 15 years ago) that pros do so they don't have to use a ladder to clean the house.

In the past, I had to use a pressure washer on my 2 story house and had to go up and down a ladder, even getting strung out to the point of almost falling, to clean the dirt off. No more. What I found was using a combination of soap and bleach, the mixture sticks to the house and then waiting 10 mins or so, rinses right off with regular hose pressure!

Guys on the auto detailing forums are using this MTM Hydro Foam Cannon to apply foam to their cars. Check youtube for an example. I had the sudden idea, what if I filled the bottle with dish soap and bleach?

I couldn't find an example of anyone using this product on their house, just cars, but I figured I wouldn't lose much by trying.

For those of you who use the soap dispenser on their PW's (and knew to use a mix vs. just blowing off the gunk), you'll know the soap nozzle throws the mixture about 10' at best. Meaning, for 2 story homes with gable ends, you're up 25-30' or so - which means you're on a ladder as well. Sucks!

With this foam cannon, the only time I had to go up on a ladder (about 8' or so) was when using the regular garden hose sprayer to rinse the soap mix off the home on the peaks. Made doing the house quick, and much safer, and kinda fun to throw all that foam over it. The nozzle has an adjustment, allowing a wide path of soap down low and concentrated stream for the higher points.

For the soap mix, I used:
  • Gain Ultra dish detergent - NOT antimicrobial (that contains alcohol and would react with the bleach)
  • Regular "concentrated" Clorox bleach

Mixed about 20 oz of bleach and 3 oz of dish detergent into the bottle, topped off with water, and swished it around to distribute it. In the future, I will remove the 32 oz bottle and get a 15' or so length of tubing, and make up about a gallon at a time so I can do two sides of the house at once.

Some tips:
  • In retrospect, I probably used too much bleach. I could've easily cut it down to half or so of the amount I used. I mistakenly thought the spots that required a second application were mold, but it was dirt.
  • Apply the soap mixture at a ratio more tilted toward the water side. In other words, turn the ratio mixture knob down so you don't have completely fluffy white foam coming out. You need a soap mix to drain down the siding and scrub it as it runs down.
  • You most likely will have to do a second application for the really soiled spots. Don't fret, apply a second coat and wait 10-15 mins and the rest should come off.
  • Using the MTM foam cannon, you can actually use an electric pressure washer to clean your house. I'm not sure how far it would throw the mix, but I can't imagine it not working similar to how it did for me.
  • You can use the empty bottle nozzle to apply water to rinse, but I found it saved wear and tear on my pressure washer and additionally was much quieter if I just used the hose. So I just used a nozzle on my garden hose and rinsed with that and shut my PW off. In fact, it took longer to rinse the house than apply the mix.

Reactions: Toddrn

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Hello again fellow DIYers!

Got an email last night from my oldest brother in Virginia and he mentioned he uses a device called a foam cannon for cleaning his cars, truck, RV, and house siding. I had never heard of it but did some snooping around and ordered one from Amazon. I then did some more snooping and ran across some YT videos and also a November 2013 entry in "The Garage Journal" forum as follows. The video is posted below. I will be cleaning my Mom's siding sometime next month as well as her paver drive and plan to try this technique.

Like most "DIY'er" homeowners I see around my neighborhood, I mistakenly thought when you "pressure washed" homes you used a lot of pressure to blow the dirt off. Well, I found out that's actually not really how the pros do it and after watching some guys started doing some research.

The phrase is "soft washing" and it's the "new thing" (as in 15 years ago) that pros do so they don't have to use a ladder to clean the house.

In the past, I had to use a pressure washer on my 2 story house and had to go up and down a ladder, even getting strung out to the point of almost falling, to clean the dirt off. No more. What I found was using a combination of soap and bleach, the mixture sticks to the house and then waiting 10 mins or so, rinses right off with regular hose pressure!

Guys on the auto detailing forums are using this MTM Hydro Foam Cannon to apply foam to their cars. Check youtube for an example. I had the sudden idea, what if I filled the bottle with dish soap and bleach?

I couldn't find an example of anyone using this product on their house, just cars, but I figured I wouldn't lose much by trying.

For those of you who use the soap dispenser on their PW's (and knew to use a mix vs. just blowing off the gunk), you'll know the soap nozzle throws the mixture about 10' at best. Meaning, for 2 story homes with gable ends, you're up 25-30' or so - which means you're on a ladder as well. Sucks!

With this foam cannon, the only time I had to go up on a ladder (about 8' or so) was when using the regular garden hose sprayer to rinse the soap mix off the home on the peaks. Made doing the house quick, and much safer, and kinda fun to throw all that foam over it. The nozzle has an adjustment, allowing a wide path of soap down low and concentrated stream for the higher points.

For the soap mix, I used:
  • Gain Ultra dish detergent - NOT antimicrobial (that contains alcohol and would react with the bleach)
  • Regular "concentrated" Clorox bleach

Mixed about 20 oz of bleach and 3 oz of dish detergent into the bottle, topped off with water, and swished it around to distribute it. In the future, I will remove the 32 oz bottle and get a 15' or so length of tubing, and make up about a gallon at a time so I can do two sides of the house at once.

Some tips:
  • In retrospect, I probably used too much bleach. I could've easily cut it down to half or so of the amount I used. I mistakenly thought the spots that required a second application were mold, but it was dirt.
  • Apply the soap mixture at a ratio more tilted toward the water side. In other words, turn the ratio mixture knob down so you don't have completely fluffy white foam coming out. You need a soap mix to drain down the siding and scrub it as it runs down.
  • You most likely will have to do a second application for the really soiled spots. Don't fret, apply a second coat and wait 10-15 mins and the rest should come off.
  • Using the MTM foam cannon, you can actually use an electric pressure washer to clean your house. I'm not sure how far it would throw the mix, but I can't imagine it not working similar to how it did for me.
  • You can use the empty bottle nozzle to apply water to rinse, but I found it saved wear and tear on my pressure washer and additionally was much quieter if I just used the hose. So I just used a nozzle on my garden hose and rinsed with that and shut my PW off. In fact, it took longer to rinse the house than apply the mix.

Bazza, one thing I would add: when cleaning vinyl with bleach, it can get chalky. Try mixing a product called Jomax with the bleach. It is made to aid the bleach in cleaning, plus conditions the vinyl so it won't chalk up.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Bazza, one thing I would add: when cleaning vinyl with bleach, it can get chalky. Try mixing a product called Jomax with the bleach. It is made to aid the bleach in cleaning, plus conditions the vinyl so it won't chalk up.
Thanks much for the tip @tidehawk ! I hate when that vinyl siding gets all chalky! I'll pick some up at the local HD and post again after the job is completed. Will include pics.

All the best to you and thanks again! (y)

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Thanks much for the tip @tidehawk ! I hate when that vinyl siding gets all chalky! I'll pick some up at the local HD and post again after the job is completed. Will include pics.

All the best to you and thanks again! (y)
You can also add baking soda...works with the bleach as a cleansing agent...I also diluted the bleach so as not to damage plants, etc...had a Bama hat with bleach stains all over it.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Recentl had to learn to solder pipe. Jacked up a delta faucet trying to replace the seats. Was original, dome had cemented itself into place and I turned too hard on this one, the third out of four that needed fixing. Turned the water to the house back on and it was leaking into the wall behind the shower. Plumber came out and said he could fix it without detroying tile and was going to get parts. He never made it back. Went to Lowe’s, bought some ball valves and by the grace of God soldered them into the lines going up to the shower. Now I’m minus one shower until I get it fixed, but at least we have running water and I learned a new skill.

This video was infinitely useful for getting the technique right.

If you can't cut the water off, of even if you can, you can stuff bread up the pipe to absorb water until you can get the job done...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.