Who is America - Sacha Baron Cohen's new show and controversy

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I don't get it. I mean, I don't see the humor in wasting people's time like this.

Then again I've never found Cohen funny.
Did you watch it? See that guy laughing about raping his wife? See them advocating arming toddlers? Teaching kids to use mortars? The whole thing isn't as much funny as shocking. Cohen is holding a mirror up and showing us how massively f-ed up our gun culture is in this country.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Did you watch it? See that guy laughing about raping his wife? See them advocating arming toddlers? Teaching kids to use mortars? The whole thing isn't as much funny as shocking. Cohen is holding a mirror up and showing us how massively f-ed up our gun culture is in this country.
No, I know those guys are screwed up, I've no interest in them at all. I did watch about two minutes of the Bernie Sanders one, and again, seems like it's just wasting people's time.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
For many it's entertainment.

For those it has value.

For me though I agree - waste of time.
I don’t find it a waste of time to see how our Representatives or even just people that are pushing agendas are behaving and find out just how low they will go.

For someone that complains about how the media should be educating people even just 10 minutes of this is educating me on the lows that people will stoop to.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I don’t find it a waste of time to see how our Representatives or even just people that are pushing agendas are behaving and find out just how low they will go.

For someone that complains about how the media should be educating people even just 10 minutes of this is educating me on the lows that people will stoop to.

I already know how low people can go. :wink:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Just watched the first episode. I have to say I’m disappointed. The funny parts you’ve already seen on here, but the other skits are just gross and too over the top. I get it’s him duping them into doing stupid stuff, but I could’ve done without duping an art critic into giving you some of her “hair”. 🤢

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
and georgia delivers. now it's showtime's fault that trump was elected.

Ga. lawmaker duped by Sacha Baron Cohen: This is why Trump won

Georgia state Rep. Jason Spencer threatened to take legal action against “Hollywood liberals” on Monday to prevent Sacha Baron Cohen from airing embarrassing footage of him on his new comedy TV series.
Spencer, who was defeated in the May GOP primary, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution the show’s producers “took advantage of my fears that I would be attacked by someone” to convince him to appear on what he believed to be a training video for “elected officials who may be targeted by terrorists.”

“They exploited my state of mind for profit and notoriety,” said Spencer. “This media company’s deceptive and fraudulent behavior is exactly why President Donald Trump was elected.”

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
LOL. No wonder the racist idiot wanted to sue.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gop-l...s-n-word-on-sacha-baron-cohens-who-is-america

When Morad asked Spencer to act like a Chinese tourist in order to take selfie-stick photos up a suspected terrorist’s burka, he obliges, delivering the most racist and ignorant impression you can imagine. When he requests that Spencer scream the “N-word,” the lawmaker does so aggressively and without hesitation. The inevitable joke comes when Baron Cohen asks him, “Are you crazy? The ‘N-word’ is noony, not this word, this word is disgusting.”

At one point, Morad says that terrorists are so afraid of gay people that they think they will become homosexual if you touch them with your bare behind. So Spencer takes off his pants and quite literally bum-rushes his Israeli trainer, shouting, “‘Murica!’”

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
careful now, some people might think you are calling them racist.
I mean, how gullible do you have to be?
that's a question i have asked a lot since the election of twitler
Please report to your nearest Trump University for mandatory civility training. Please remember to bring eye drops as your eyes will be sensitive after being strapped open for 8-10 hours.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Please report to your nearest Trump University for mandatory civility training. Please remember to bring eye drops as your eyes will be sensitive after being strapped open for 8-10 hours.
His latest thing is that he was tricked into using the n-word. Mean ol' media made me do it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i'm not sure why i cannot get it through my thick skull that this is just business as usual

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
i'm not sure why i cannot get it through my thick skull that this is just business as usual
For this guy it really is, but I shouldn't call him a racist. That's uncivil.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/g...8FgZx7uzmRkrQN/?icmp=np_inform_variation-test

He faced calls for resignation late last year after he warned a black former state legislator that she won’t be “met with torches but something a lot more definitive” if she continued to advocate for the removal of Confederate statues in South Georgia.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I watched the gun video and the one with Bernie. Here are my thoughts.

I have never seen any of his act before. I had heard of him, so I had a general idea of his routine. I am really not a fan of these type of things, but that's me. I will say it was nice we could do a link to his video without running afoul of board policies on profanity.

How do people get taken in by this? Some guy just shows up with some crazy name claiming to be a self defense expert and wants you to do a promo for some program where little kids have access to guns. If someone I've never heard of wants me to get involved in something like that, I'm at least googling the guy and not just sitting down to an interview. I can understand the gun group guy getting sucked into it, since he threw in all the buzzwords about the gun hating liberals. But a sitting Congressman should have a little more media savvy than that.

Did these idiots really think this was a good idea? I'm all for parents who are responsible gun owners introducing guns to their children at an appropriate age. (The age will vary depending on the child. of course). But the first thing that should be taught is that firing a gun is serious business, not something you stick in a puppet and sing a silly song about. Yes, this was a fake program, but they thought it was real.

To be fair, Sasha did show the congressman who thought it was an idiotic idea.

The one with Bernie Sanders was just stupid. You could tell early on Bernie realized he was dealing with a nutbag but just played along to be polite. What I don't get is how he convinced Sanders to do the interview to begin with.

But I don't think he was out to "get" Sanders. I think it was just a lame attempt to be funny but it was a big waste of Sanders' time.

While it was revealing that some people think arming pre-schoolers is a good idea, I didn't find the sketch all that funny.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Hey look it's already having a positive impact on the world. Got a .... out of the Georgia punch bowl a few months early.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--reg...al-slurs-show-resigns/PZeFXPfA9xo98b62amubzN/

The Georgia lawmaker who exposed himself and yelled racial slurs during an episode of Sacha Baron Cohen’s Showtime series is resigning his seat in the state Legislature, according to House Speaker David Ralston’s office.

State Rep. Jason Spencer faced increasing pressure to step down shortly after the episode of “Who is America?” aired Sunday night, and some politicians were urging a special session to oust him if he refused. He will step down at the end of the month, Ralston spokesman Kaleb McMichen said late Tuesday.

Spencer apologized for the “ridiculously ugly episode,” but initially refused to resign. Although he lost the GOP primary in May, he could have remained in public office through the November general election.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.