New Television Advice

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Yeah, it's not ideal placement, but I can only control so much. The mount I'll use does have a visible temperature sensor and the fireplace is gas, so I'll be able to shut off the heat quickly. So it could be worse.
Our house has some really great, wood-burning fireplaces. As the living area was setup when we bought it, literally the only wall-space available to mount a TV was over the fireplace. The previous homeowner, after I mentioned to my wife about finding a better place for the TV, assumed I was talking about the height of the mount and stated that the height wasn't too bad. He then started complaining about the quality of "the TVs they make nowadays", stating that he had replaced their living room TV - because it's the one they used the most - four times and only once was it under warranty. I didn't have the heart to tell him that his beloved, wood-burning fireplace and TV placement were killing his TVs.

After we bought the house, we remodeled the kitchen, created a new master suite, and replaced the open, stairway banister with a solid wall just to mount the entertainment equipment away from the fireplace. Of course, for me it was more than just the TV, since I have a five foot wide, floating entertainment center I built a few years ago that mounts a few feet underneath my TV mount.

Side note for anyone with wood-burning fireplaces or for anyone who smokes (even if you "don't smoke in the house")...

1. Spend the money and invest in at least MERV 13 or, preferably, MERV 14 air filters for your HVAC system.
2. Invest, if not a feature of your existing one, in a thermostat that lets you force 15-30 minutes of airflow per hour (meaning it runs just the blower for the required time if the unit wasn't already heating/cooling enough during the hour) to force complete circulation of household air multiple times per day.
3. Change the filters out regularly.

This will do several things for you. First, it'll make your HVAC run more efficiently by eliminating hot/cool spots and having more often but shorter overall heating/cooling times throughout the day. Second, it will likely make a huge difference in your family's allergies during the spring and fall. Finally, it will likely double the average lifespan of electronics in your house.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Probably for the best. I'm stuck between Samsung's QLED and LG's OLED for my new place, and I'll need to do the same. I'll have to wall mount the TV above a fireplace, due to room layout, and there are more windows/ambient light risk than in my old tiny apartment. The brightness and burn-in concern is pushing me toward Samsung, but neither will be absolutely perfect. Still, I'm sure either option will be great (and an definite upgrade from my 10-year-old plasma). #firstworldproblems
Yeah, I was between those two but found the Sony. Not sure if I want to go all out for the BR or not. We will see.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Vizio has come on really strong and has some good products. That said, they have some subtle problems that stand out to these eyes that most people might not notice.

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go to town to put my eye on a few of my top choices. I know the retail room can be deceiving, but some things (like viewing angles) can't be changed. I can also ask for remotes to reset the pictures.
CR tests for that and LG generally beats Samsung for that.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Yeah, I was between those two but found the Sony. Not sure if I want to go all out for the BR or not. We will see.
For follow-up, the movers killed by old plasma, so I had to upgrade sooner than intended. I went with the Samsung QLED and couldn't be happier. Ambient brightness in my room was the deciding strike against OLED.

I wasn't familiar with that site, thanks for the "heads up". Seems like a good source to consider for reviews.
Not only for reviews, but RTings lists detailed calibration settings for every TV they review. It's an essential resource for setting up any purchase if you don't have the gear/time to calibrate the picture yourself.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
For follow-up, the movers killed by old plasma, so I had to upgrade sooner than intended. I went with the Samsung QLED and couldn't be happier. Ambient brightness in my room was the deciding strike against OLED.

Not only for reviews, but RTings lists detailed calibration settings for every TV they review. It's an essential resource for setting up any purchase if you don't have the gear/time to calibrate the picture yourself.
Which QLED?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I've decided that in this room the OLED will simply not be practical due to the ambient light and burn-in issues. I may consider it in the living room later if some of the burn-in issues are resolved or simply wait for Micro-LED to become practical.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
So we finally went today and bought a TV for the living room instead of the bedroom. We moved the 50" Panasonic plasma into the bedroom, replacing the 32" Philips with the black hole (damaged pixels in the move last year - gave an extra eyebrow to folks and doubled as a UFO). She would not allow a second TV. :D That's OK because I love the plasma.

At any rate, since the TV in the LR gets less use and burn-in is less of a concern we got the LG OLED C8 65". The picture is amazing when paired with a 4K Blu-Ray. Given my very picky eyes I still have a lot of fine tuning to do, but out of the box the championship game looks nearly as good as the plasma and the 4K is stunning. The leap to 4K is nearly as great as from SD to HD. The sound is also surprisingly clear and full range. I'm going to enjoy tinkering.

I'm delaying upgrading DirecTV since there is no way to transfer recordings from the old Genie to a new one that supports 4K and there are 3 channels total at 4K.

Mrs. NT17 was pleasantly surprised by the upgrade in picture quality on 4K Blu-Ray. She thinks I did a good job and is happy with my choice. Luckily for me, she thought I had spent far more than I did. I have very little buyer's remorse because I waited well over a year to buy, the product met my expectations by and large, she's happy with it, and the long trip to get it was nonetheless enjoyable.

If you happen to buy one of these, get someone to help set it up and either use the a table or the box with all the Styrofoam put back in place as a platform for mounting the stand (let the bottom hang over the edge) unless you wall mount it. That will come later for me (same for the plasma).

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Still have to hide wires and eventually move the network equipment, not to mention mount the TV (hiding wires in the process), but the picture is getting closer to how I want it. I have to get used to the logo dimming (to prevent image retention/burn-in) and still tinkering with a few settings to get the picture just right. Mrs. NT17 is off to the right of me and loses no clarity (one of the reasons I chose this TV - you don't have to be right in front of it to get a good picture). I did add a bit more color back in after I took these.

I haven't mounted the plasma in the BR yet since I have yet to place an outlet nearby.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.