Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Third Team

Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I turn 65 next June and am looking forward to enrolling in Medicare.

The plan right now is to enroll in Medicare under a Humana Advantage Plan.

Seems like it would be the easiest way to access health care.

Looking for input from others with their experiences along these lines.

TIA!
    Thanks BAZZA. Great question and thanks to all that responded. Much needed help.
    Last edited by UAEE93; July 17th, 2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spell check.

Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

I have Medicare Advantage with Humana. Just started it in January. Seems ok so far. Better than the regular Medicare I've had for 10+ years.

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

My wife and I are using Mutual of Omaha. It's works out to be about $180 a month for each of us. I've been very pleased with it. My wife is currently in cancer treatment and she gets a pet-scan every 3 months. Also she is on very expensive chemo drugs. It been totally covered and we haven't spent a dime.
    My biggest expense in retirement is insurance. I'm thankful I can afford it, but I never thought insurance would be this high. Good luck in your decision!

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    My company operated a sizable self insured plan in the panhandle. I met with the BCBS rep in Florida and recall telling him that we would not by choice do business with BCBS but that the size of their PPO and discount structure made them the only economic choice.

In the Major Metro areas it is more economical for clinics to partner with hospitals to form a competitive PPO with attractive features but it is often cost prohibitive for them to expand into rural areas.
    This is the same issue in rural AL. Two ladies who attend where I serve got switched to Humana. They came to me to see if I could get the answers regarding primary care providers, pharmacies, etc. A good friend of mine got them in touch with a case manager at Hellen Keller in Muscle Shoals. She told them what you just said. If they lived up there or were willing to drive they would’ve been fine. But around here they would struggle to find providers. It was the only plan they could afford on their income so they were stuck. I think they were able to get it solved but it took some searching & headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gtowntide View Post
    My wife and I are using Mutual of Omaha. It's works out to be about $180 a month for each of us. I've been very pleased with it. My wife is currently in cancer treatment and she gets a pet-scan every 3 months. Also she is on very expensive chemo drugs. It been totally covered and we haven't spent a dime.
    My biggest expense in retirement is insurance. I'm thankful I can afford it, but I never thought insurance would be this high. Good luck in your decision!
    I am looking down the road at retirement in 10 years or less. My Dad had Medicare Advantage and it seemed to pay for most of his bills. He had a couple of extended hospital stays during his last few months. A $30,000 bill and he paid about $1500 out of pocket. I was shocked. I expected much more.

The only real hiccup I had with Humana was when I changed his address (so I could get all of his bills sent to me since he was incapable of handling his affairs). Humana cancelled him because they thought he had moved here to Nebraska with me....and Humana doesn't cover this state. After several frantic phone calls and faxes, I got his insurance restored. The only way I found out that they had canceled him was when his P.T. called and said his insurance was denied.

I will be getting down to brass tacks here soon and appreciate all the input you have provided so far.

Now that we're into the new year, all the info I need will be current for my forthcoming enrollment.

FWIW, I just ran across an informative website for those also interested:

https://www.kiplinger.com/fronts/spe...are/index.html

Just received a nice Medicare information packet in the mail today from the Department of Health and Human Services.

It also has my Medicare ID card.......showing I'm already enrolled in Plan A & B!

I can elect to cancel Plan B if I want, but don't see the need to do that right now. It's only $135.50/mo. so very reasonable.

I'm really impressed with the way this system is set up. I have some reading to do and will check back when I know more.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I can elect to cancel Plan B if I want, but don't see the need to do that right now.
    It's always a good idea to keep your birth control active if you can.

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    It's always a good idea to keep your birth control active if you can.
    In your case can it be made retroactive?

I'm sorry Matt that was downright uncivil of me.
    Last edited by seebell; February 13th, 2019 at 07:37 PM. Reason: offer profuse and abject apology

I had right colon resection on Jan. 26, 2018. The bill from Huntsville Hospital came in a few days ago. Medicare allowed $9K+ for the procedure. However, if I hadn't had Medicare or private insurance, the bill would have been $137K+...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I had right colon resection on Jan. 26, 2018. The bill from Huntsville Hospital came in a few days ago. Medicare allowed $9K+ for the procedure. However, if I hadn't had Medicare or private insurance, the bill would have been $137K+...
    That is an excellent point. Large insurers (corporate and government) get much of the cost of treating the uninsured, Medicaid and Medicare shifted to them due in part to their lack of power to negotiate pricing. When people talk about the trillions of added cost associated with a single payer system my response is... The US spends double per-capita on health care versus other developed countries. With that type of expenditure there has to be good faith solutions to actually lowering cost rather than adding the trillions people rant about. Doing that without reducing needed medical research and the rationing of treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Wow! That's crazy!

It's always crazy. Crestwood hospital billed almost $30K for the first, unsuccessful, basal cell cancer operation on my forehead back in October. It was done conventionally, with plastic surgery, general and all. Actual procedure time was probably 1.5 hours, but longer because of prep, anesthesia, etc. They were paid $7K+. The second, successful, Mohs surgery in December was done in an office, with local anesthesia. The actual surgery time was about the same. The procedure was so long because the incision and cancerous cells stretched from beside my right eye to the center of my forehead. If it had been the typical "spot" type of basal cell, then it would have gone faster. The first surgeon charged nearly $3K but got paid $789. The second charged around $1500 and got paid $786. Of course, the second surgeon did eight procedures, starting at 7:00 AM. IDK how the coding works and how the Mohs surgeon's fee is figured. Obviously, he should be paid a great deal more for an incision like mine.

Any way you cut it, he's making a lot more money. The first guy, a regular plastic surgeon, had time for only two procedures in a day. As I said earlier, in the other thread, the Mohs procedure, left me with minimal swelling, because he cauterized as he went, so I recommend it right and left for anyone who even suspects they may have a skin cancer. Also, Tolkachjov, the Mohs surgeon, came to the field with a background and training in trauma surgery, so he already knew reconstructive surgery and he then went into dermatology. Most Mohs surgeons are dermatologists who've taken additional training in surgery. I don't think I need to explain the difference. Even the first, plastic, surgeon, who did the followup, had to grudgingly concede that the reconstruction done was pretty good...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis