Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 64
  1. #27
    BamaNation All-SEC Moro Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Equine country
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    I had the Medicare Humana HMO plan when I first retired. After the first year, I switched over to the Medicare Florida Blue HMO plan. Florida Blue costs me a little less and they are much more responsive than Humana. On any of these plans, If you stay in network (which I do) you come out much better. I've had surgery for a hernia with probably the best surgeon in Ocala and my part of the cost was about $300.00. Hope this helps.

  2. #28
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,538

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by Moro Creek View Post
    I had the Medicare Humana HMO plan when I first retired. After the first year, I switched over to the Medicare Florida Blue HMO plan. Florida Blue costs me a little less and they are much more responsive than Humana. On any of these plans, If you stay in network (which I do) you come out much better. I've had surgery for a hernia with probably the best surgeon in Ocala and my part of the cost was about $300.00. Hope this helps.
    I started on Medicare with United and then switched to Humana, which I dropped after a couple of years, for the reasons you mentioned. When I went back into the plastic surgeon's office who'd done my first skin cancer surgery, I noticed at the checkout desk that they would accept neither AARP (United) nor Humana...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  3. #29
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,782

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I started on Medicare with United and then switched to Humana, which I dropped after a couple of years, for the reasons you mentioned. When I went back into the plastic surgeon's office who'd done my first skin cancer surgery, I noticed at the checkout desk that they would accept neither AARP (United) nor Humana...
    I recommend avoiding both United and Humana, based on others' experiences. If you have to take insulin, get something other than Humana for sure.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  4. #30
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,538

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    I recommend avoiding both United and Humana, based on others' experiences. If you have to take insulin, get something other than Humana for sure.
    One of my docs wanted to change my hypertension meds and Humana had him write a letter of justification. He said it was routine with Humana and that BCBS was the smoothest process (not that they can't also cause problems). I asked a couple of my other docs - I'm at an age where my body is divided up among specialists - and found that it was universal. They're sort of like a cut-rate auto insurance company - deny every claim you can to hold costs down and maximize profits. Thankfully, after the coronary bypass, I no longer have to take blood pressure meds...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  5. #31
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,782

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    One of my docs wanted to change my hypertension meds and Humana had him write a letter of justification. He said it was routine with Humana and that BCBS was the smoothest process (not that they can't also cause problems). I asked a couple of my other docs - I'm at an age where my body is divided up among specialists - and found that it was universal. They're sort of like a cut-rate auto insurance company - deny every claim you can to hold costs down and maximize profits. Thankfully, after the coronary bypass, I no longer have to take blood pressure meds...
    Happy for that last part.

    Agree with your doc. BC/BS can be a pain, too, but nothing like Humana.

    And of course since the start of the year every formulary has changed and all are denying meds they covered for however long, not to mention deductibles.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  6. #32
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,538

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Happy for that last part.

    Agree with your doc. BC/BS can be a pain, too, but nothing like Humana.

    And of course since the start of the year every formulary has changed and all are denying meds they covered for however long, not to mention deductibles.
    I know they sent me a letter that they were taking a drug off as "dangerous," which I've taken for over 50 years, really "must" take...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  7. #33
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
    Posts
    7,806

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    ...

    Any way you cut it, he's making a lot more money. The first guy, a regular plastic surgeon, had time for only two procedures in a day. As I said earlier, in the other thread, the Mohs procedure, left me with minimal swelling, because he cauterized as he went, so I recommend it right and left for anyone who even suspects they may have a skin cancer. Also, Tolkachjov, the Mohs surgeon, came to the field with a background and training in trauma surgery, so he already knew reconstructive surgery and he then went into dermatology. Most Mohs surgeons are dermatologists who've taken additional training in surgery. I don't think I need to explain the difference. Even the first, plastic, surgeon, who did the followup, had to grudgingly concede that the reconstruction done was pretty good...
    Good one!

  8. #34
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    21,902
    Thread Starter

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Thanks for the thread contributions so far, guys.

    Really nice to have the input.

    Glad things are going better now for you, Earle. Best wishes going forward, sir!

    Interesting comments about Humana - I will have to research more. Those I spoke to in this area all had nothing but good to say about them.

  9. #35
    BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Gurley, Al
    Posts
    9,180

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Thanks for the thread contributions so far, guys.

    Really nice to have the input.

    Glad things are going better now for you, Earle. Best wishes going forward, sir!

    Interesting comments about Humana - I will have to research more. Those I spoke to in this area all had nothing but good to say about them.
    Check with your doctors and ask if they take Humana. Up here in North Alabama, Blue Cross is the way to go. Most of my doctors won't fool with United or Humana.

    I have Medicare Part A and a Blue (Cross) Advantage plan that covers Part B and drugs. Been real happy with it. Last year the Advantage policy cost me $49 a month. This year the cost went down to zero and basic vision and dental became an added benefit. Blue Cross is my primary insurance. I don't even show my Medicare Card.

    Medicare is on the verge of bankruptcy so the cost was reduced to zero and benefits were added!

  10. #36
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    21,902
    Thread Starter

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    Check with your doctors and ask if they take Humana. Up here in North Alabama, Blue Cross is the way to go. Most of my doctors won't fool with United or Humana.

    I have Medicare Part A and a Blue (Cross) Advantage plan that covers Part B and drugs. Been real happy with it. Last year the Advantage policy cost me $49 a month. This year the cost went down to zero and basic vision and dental became an added benefit. Blue Cross is my primary insurance. I don't even show my Medicare Card.

    Medicare is on the verge of bankruptcy so the cost was reduced to zero and benefits were added!
    Thanks - good advice! That last part was supposed to be blue font, I'm assuming.....

  11. #37
    BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Gurley, Al
    Posts
    9,180

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Thanks - good advice! That last part was supposed to be blue font, I'm assuming.....
    No blue font Gator Man! Bankruptcy might be too strong a term. My point is this: If revenues will only cover 91% of the costs in 8 years, why reduce my premium and increase my benefits now? Save for the approaching rainy day.

    https://www.cbpp.org/research/health...s-not-bankrupt

    Even in 2026, when the HI trust fund is projected to be depleted, incoming payroll taxes and other revenue will still be sufficient to pay 91 percent of Medicare hospital insurance costs.[1] The share of costs covered by dedicated revenues will decline slowly to 78 percent in 2042 and then rise gradually to 85 percent in 2092.

    https://www.pgpf.org/analysis/2018/07/trustees-funding-challenges-threaten-medicares-future

    I'm probably the only person on this forum that understands high finance!

  12. #38
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    21,902
    Thread Starter

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    No blue font Gator Man! Bankruptcy might be too strong a term. My point is this: If revenues will only cover 91% of the costs in 8 years, why reduce my premium and increase my benefits now? Save for the approaching rainy day.

    https://www.cbpp.org/research/health...s-not-bankrupt

    Even in 2026, when the HI trust fund is projected to be depleted, incoming payroll taxes and other revenue will still be sufficient to pay 91 percent of Medicare hospital insurance costs.[1] The share of costs covered by dedicated revenues will decline slowly to 78 percent in 2042 and then rise gradually to 85 percent in 2092.

    https://www.pgpf.org/analysis/2018/07/trustees-funding-challenges-threaten-medicares-future

    I'm probably the only person on this forum that understands high finance!
    I think it was your term "verge' that blew the comment up for me.

    I will remain optimistic - as always - that things will work out.

  13. #39
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    21,902
    Thread Starter

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    For the past month, now that I'm closing in on my 65th birthday, I've been getting bombarded with junk mail regarding Medicare! Just now a young lady stopped by in person to ask if I wanted to sit down with her while she helped walk me through the whole process.

    Even though she was pretty hawt, I still declined.

    I'm already enrolled in Part A and B and have my card in hand effective June 1. I think since I was already enrolled (as of last year) in SS - this was an automatic process for the SS administration.

    How are all these people being paid who are soliciting me? By the insurance companies, right? What a racket!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear