Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    For the past month, now that I'm closing in on my 65th birthday, I've been getting bombarded with junk mail regarding Medicare! Just now a young lady stopped by in person to ask if I wanted to sit down with her while she helped walk me through the whole process.

Even though she was pretty hawt, I still declined.

I'm already enrolled in Part A and B and have my card in hand effective June 1. I think since I was already enrolled (as of last year) in SS - this was an automatic process for the SS administration.

How are all these people being paid who are soliciting me? By the insurance companies, right? What a racket!
    You should be being bombarded by "insurance" calls by now, the vast majority of which are out and out scams...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    You should be being bombarded by "insurance" calls by now, the vast majority of which are out and out scams...
    Is the one that Joe Namath pushes on tv legit or a scam?
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0631&FORM=VIRE

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    When I have time, I'll take a look...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    It's legit in the sense that dental and vision benefits have been added to Medicare. I now have some dental and vision benefits with my Medicare and my Blue Advantage supplement payment has gone to zero. Through Blue Cross.

Who pays the outfits like the one Joe Namath pushes I do not know.

Odd, I never thought about these being scams as much as just junk mail. People trying to make a buck by steering you in one direction or another.

I'm very skeptical of anything that comes in the mail anyway, so doubt I could ever be a victim.

Thanks to my Magic Jack call screening feature I no longer get any robo calls.

Odd, I never thought about these being scams as much as just junk mail. People trying to make a buck by steering you in one direction or another.

I'm very skeptical of anything that comes in the mail anyway, so doubt I could ever be a victim.

Thanks to my Magic Jack call screening feature I no longer get any robo calls.
    A large number are scams. You pay up front for a consultation fees, which accomplishes nothing. Also, an insurance call outside the legal signup window is a sure sign it's a scam. We're still getting them in March...

Quick update in case it's of any interest......

Coming up to the end of May and on the home stretch, I still hadn't made a final decision on which Humana plan to sign up for. I happened to be in our local Walmart and at the Humana table in front was a Humana rep I hadn't seen before. No one else there so I decided to strike up a brief convo and get his take on things.

He turned out to be an employee of Humana (as opposed to an independent sales rep) - and whether than had anything to do with it or not - he told me about a plan that seemed to be a good fit for me.

It's called the H1036-157 (HMO) Humana Gold Plus, for Daytona - Flagler and Volusia counties

You get all the same features and benefits of the other advantage plans except this one has an $85 premium deduction.

The $85 premium deduction means instead of the $135.50 per month coming out of my social security - only $50.50 is taken out.

For those keeping track of the numbers.....this means this plan costs me (12 x $50.50) = $606/year and saves me (12 x $85) = $1,020/year.

Conventional plans would cost (12 x $135.50) = $1,626/year.

I will try to upload a couple scans showing all the details of the plan in my next post, but for now just wanted to share what I ended up with for those interested.

The sign up process was all done very quickly and easily. The Human rep filled out a one page application for me, looked me up in the system to confirm things were as they needed to be (which they were), and then we chose a local doctor to be my GP - who happened to be the one I had in mind and fortunately was currently accepting new customers. *You have to have a designated GP in order to sign up. When my Humana membership card came, his name and contact info were inscribed on it along with the other usual stuff.

I'm still very healthy (as far as I know - ha ha) so not sure when I will be using my new health care program. But it's nice to know in case of something major, I have this coverage.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

Bazza, I know you will do what is best for you and your family, but I had a Humana HMO the first two years and changed to Florida Blue HMO for three years now. I went to a Florida Blue office and got a lot of information. As long as I stay in network, (which is easy) I like Florida Blue much more than Humana. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Moro Creek View Post
    Bazza, I know you will do what is best for you and your family, but I had a Humana HMO the first two years and changed to Florida Blue HMO for three years now. I went to a Florida Blue office and got a lot of information. As long as I stay in network, (which is easy) I like Florida Blue much more than Humana. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the input, my friend.

If there's any specifics you feel like sharing that influenced your decision to switch, I'm interested in knowing that. If you'd rather not say - that's cool too.

I don't really go to doctors - hardly at all (knock on wood). So right now it's hard to know I'll even be using it much.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Thanks for the input, my friend.

If there's any specifics you feel like sharing that influenced your decision to switch, I'm interested in knowing that. If you'd rather not say - that's cool too.

I don't really go to doctors - hardly at all (knock on wood). So right now it's hard to know I'll even be using it much.
    That’s a recipe for an early death or worse, Bazza. A lot of terminal diseases can be detected before symptoms occur. What would be horrible for me would be to become an invalid when it was avoidable and now rather than me taking care of my family I’ve become a burden.

An an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Do the smart thing, not the easy thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    That’s a recipe for an early death or worse, Bazza. A lot of terminal diseases can be detected before symptoms occur. What would be horrible for me would be to become an invalid when it was avoidable and now rather than me taking care of my family I’ve become a burden.

An an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Do the smart thing, not the easy thing.
    He's correct. You are of an age when disorders caused by age start to appear...

Blood test at least once a year can show a lot even if you feel great. I feel great all the time, but blood test show I have chronic kidney disease. See your primary care doctor at least once a year. You'll be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Moro Creek View Post
    Blood test at least once a year can show a lot even if you feel great. I feel great all the time, but blood test show I have chronic kidney disease. See your primary care doctor at least once a year. You'll be glad you did.
    He's correct. You are of an age when disorders caused by age start to appear...
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    Thats a recipe for an early death or worse, Bazza. A lot of terminal diseases can be detected before symptoms occur. What would be horrible for me would be to become an invalid when it was avoidable and now rather than me taking care of my family Ive become a burden.

Thanks and I agree.

I do plan to get a checkup at some point before the year is out.

Typically though I've never had annual checkups, etc. I know I've been fortunate and every dog has it's day - or Gator in my case.

Sorry to hear of the kidney disease, Moro. Hang in there, buddy.....
    "Old dog - new tricks"