Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 53 to 64 of 64
  1. #53
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,538

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by Moro Creek View Post
    Blood test at least once a year can show a lot even if you feel great. I feel great all the time, but blood test show I have chronic kidney disease. See your primary care doctor at least once a year. You'll be glad you did.
    That and much, much more, cholesterol, etc. PSA for prostate cancer - saying you don't need doctor visits approaching Medicare age is simply dangerous denial. BTW, once on Medicare, you will be required to have an annual "wellness visit" at the minimum...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  2. #54
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    21,902
    Thread Starter

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    That and much, much more, cholesterol, etc. PSA for prostate cancer - saying you don't need doctor visits approaching Medicare age is simply dangerous denial. BTW, once on Medicare, you will be required to have an annual "wellness visit" at the minimum...
    I do have a couple areas I'd like some medical advice and possible treatments for.

    With the work I do outside - dermatology concerns.

    And with the physical work I do - orthopedic concerns.

    Outside of that - nothing right now that I know of.

    Last week I had some ear clogging issues and had thought about getting some medical attention. Instead, I ended up getting a bottle of Debrox, which cleared the problem up for me, thankfully - even though it took a few days. At some point, I still want to have my ears checked by an ear doc, no doubt.

    As an aside.....I'm amazed at how many folks my age I run into who also say they don't see doctors on a regular basis. So I guess I am not alone in that regard.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

  3. #55
    BamaNation All-SEC Moro Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Equine country
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Bazza, you ask why I like Florida Blue better than Humana. I have a little better rate (co-pay) with Florida Blue, and their network of doctors seem to me to be much better. Case in point. My wife has Florida Blue and just had her first knee replacement this week. We were able to use the UF Orthopedic Institute and Shands Cancer hospital in Gainesville for her surgery because they were in the network. I have not checked to see if I could do the same with Humana, but I think we would probably have had to use Ocala Regional, a great hospital, but not as good as Shands.

  4. #56
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,538

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I do have a couple areas I'd like some medical advice and possible treatments for.

    With the work I do outside - dermatology concerns.

    And with the physical work I do - orthopedic concerns.

    Outside of that - nothing right now that I know of.

    Last week I had some ear clogging issues and had thought about getting some medical attention. Instead, I ended up getting a bottle of Debrox, which cleared the problem up for me, thankfully - even though it took a few days. At some point, I still want to have my ears checked by an ear doc, no doubt.

    As an aside.....I'm amazed at how many folks my age I run into who also say they don't see doctors on a regular basis. So I guess I am not alone in that regard.
    At your age, I had an orthopedist and my regular internist. Because of heavy CAD in my family, I was having my blood lipids tested every six months; probably didn't need but annually. The skin concerns are real. I'm medium complected and don't work outside, although I've had a lot of sun exposure. I have a 6" scar on my forehead from basal cell cancer surgery...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  5. #57
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    21,902
    Thread Starter

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    At your age, I had an orthopedist and my regular internist. Because of heavy CAD in my family, I was having my blood lipids tested every six months; probably didn't need but annually. The skin concerns are real. I'm medium complected and don't work outside, although I've had a lot of sun exposure. I have a 6" scar on my forehead from basal cell cancer surgery...
    Yep.....will be proceeding with all that at some point.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

  6. #58
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    15,712

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I do have a couple areas I'd like some medical advice and possible treatments for.

    With the work I do outside - dermatology concerns.

    And with the physical work I do - orthopedic concerns.

    Outside of that - nothing right now that I know of.

    Last week I had some ear clogging issues and had thought about getting some medical attention. Instead, I ended up getting a bottle of Debrox, which cleared the problem up for me, thankfully - even though it took a few days. At some point, I still want to have my ears checked by an ear doc, no doubt.

    As an aside.....I'm amazed at how many folks my age I run into who also say they don't see doctors on a regular basis. So I guess I am not alone in that regard.
    I have been the "poster boy" for actinic keratosis (pre-cancerous skin lesions) since the late 1990's. Not all were non-cancerous and I have had 3 surgeries to remove skin cancer on my face and neck. I have had torn meniscus surgery on one knee and rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. I visit my current dermatologist every 6 months. My former dermatologist's practice became so involved with Advanced Aesthetics and Laser Rejuvination that I had to find another skin doc. My latest surgery is scheduled for late August to repair a "trigger thumb". Old age basically sucks.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  7. #59
    BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Gurley, Al
    Posts
    9,180

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Try this GT, might help.


  8. #60
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,538

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I have been the "poster boy" for actinic keratosis (pre-cancerous skin lesions) since the late 1990's. Not all were non-cancerous and I have had 3 surgeries to remove skin cancer on my face and neck. I have had torn meniscus surgery on one knee and rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. I visit my current dermatologist every 6 months. My former dermatologist's practice became so involved with Advanced Aesthetics and Laser Rejuvination that I had to find another skin doc. My latest surgery is scheduled for late August to repair a "trigger thumb". Old age basically sucks.
    The skin problems I had sneaked up on me. I'm not really light complected. The dermatologist who missed the cancer on my forehead, and whom I left, the first time he laid eyes on me proclaimed my skin "cancer-proof." As I've chronicled elsewhere, I ended up with a six-inch scar running from beside my right eye to the center of my forehead, after two surgeries. When I commented on his remark to my new dermatologist, she looked at me and and said that she had African-American patients with basal cell cancer...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  9. #61
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,782

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Thanks and I agree.

    I do plan to get a checkup at some point before the year is out.

    Typically though I've never had annual checkups, etc. I know I've been fortunate and every dog has it's day - or Gator in my case.

    Sorry to hear of the kidney disease, Moro. Hang in there, buddy.....
    Go get established with someone then get you one of those "welcome to medicare" visits done.

    https://www.medicare.gov/information...eventive-visit
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  10. #62
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,782

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by Moro Creek View Post
    Bazza, you ask why I like Florida Blue better than Humana. I have a little better rate (co-pay) with Florida Blue, and their network of doctors seem to me to be much better. Case in point. My wife has Florida Blue and just had her first knee replacement this week. We were able to use the UF Orthopedic Institute and Shands Cancer hospital in Gainesville for her surgery because they were in the network. I have not checked to see if I could do the same with Humana, but I think we would probably have had to use Ocala Regional, a great hospital, but not as good as Shands.
    Pretty much across the board Blue is heads and shoulders above most others, even though they have slipped in recent years.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  11. #63
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Birmingham & Atlanta
    Posts
    17,949

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    As an aside.....I'm amazed at how many folks my age I run into who also say they don't see doctors on a regular basis. So I guess I am not alone in that regard.
    Some work-provided plans now require a yearly checkup.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  12. #64
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    15,712

    Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

    All kidding aside, Bazz, considering your years doing outside, physical work you should see a dermatologist at least once a year, as for the orthopedist, I would not worry too much unless you start having issues.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear