Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I turn 65 next June and am looking forward to enrolling in Medicare.

The plan right now is to enroll in Medicare under a Humana Advantage Plan.

Seems like it would be the easiest way to access health care.

Looking for input from others with their experiences along these lines.

TIA!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
All states have different Supplemental plans. Medicare sent me a list of all of them offered in Alabama WITH ratings, so comparisons were easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
All states have different Supplemental plans. Medicare sent me a list of all of them offered in Alabama WITH ratings, so comparisons were easy.

Thanks - will look into that here.

If it's not too much to ask...how did Humana stack up against the others?

I have heard nothing but positive feedback from those I have spoken to. Maybe a half dozen or so folks.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
My experience managing group plans for a number of years is that BCBS has the broadest IPO in most southern states and a much more competitive discount structure with providers than any other insurer. I chose BCBS originally for that reason. In reviewing the various BCBS Advantage Plans one would be able to select the one that best fits their needs particularly when it comes to co-pays and deductibles on prescription drugs.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Thanks - will look into that here.

If it's not too much to ask...how did Humana stack up against the others?

I have heard nothing but positive feedback from those I have spoken to. Maybe a half dozen or so folks.
They weren’t as good as UHC or Viva Advantage (which I have), if it was even offered in Alabama - I don’t recall if it was or not. The two I mentioned were the only two with 4.5 star ratings (none rated 5 stars). I know some guys have UHC and they like it, I’m totally happy with Viva at this point.
Viva is operated by UAB, I believe, and there is no cost for the coverage.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
My experience managing group plans for a number of years is that BCBS has the broadest IPO in most southern states and a much more competitive discount structure with providers than any other insurer. I chose BCBS originally for that reason. In reviewing the various BCBS Advantage Plans one would be able to select the one that best fits their needs particularly when it comes to co-pays and deductibles on prescription drugs.
They weren’t as good as UHC or Viva Advantage (which I have), if it was even offered in Alabama - I don’t recall if it was or not. The two I mentioned were the only two with 4.5 star ratings (none rated 5 stars). I know some guys have UHC and they like it, I’m totally happy with Viva at this point.
Viva is operated by UAB, I believe, and there is no cost for the coverage.

OK thanks, fellas....appreciate it!

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
In Alabama, you might as well get Blue Cross. Don't know about Florida. Go online and find out how many doctors take that particular insurance/ are in their network. You should be able to compare plans from the same company on the company website.

I have Blue Cross Blue Advantage which costs me about $44 per month. Been happy with it.

Check and see if you can get your dogs included on the plan!:tongue:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
BCBS is essentially the only game in town in Florida outside the Major Metros. They are equally as strong as in AL.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
UAH ---
Can you please elaborate? Not sure I understand what you are saying. Thanks!
Basically, wherever you happen to be in the state, the nearest hospital will almost certainly accept BCBS. That's not the case with the other carriers. If you don't have BCBS and are outside a major metro area, it's a crapshoot.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Basically, wherever you happen to be in the state, the nearest hospital will almost certainly accept BCBS. That's not the case with the other carriers. If you don't have BCBS and are outside a major metro area, it's a crapshoot.
My company operated a sizable self insured plan in the panhandle. I met with the BCBS rep in Florida and recall telling him that we would not by choice do business with BCBS but that the size of their PPO and discount structure made them the only economic choice.

In the Major Metro areas it is more economical for clinics to partner with hospitals to form a competitive PPO with attractive features but it is often cost prohibitive for them to expand into rural areas.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
OK thanks.

That aspect was never mentioned as an issue with any of the folks I queried.

I will keep that in mind going forward as something to assess.

Thanks again guys....

UAEE93

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 14, 2008
I turn 65 next June and am looking forward to enrolling in Medicare.

The plan right now is to enroll in Medicare under a Humana Advantage Plan.

Seems like it would be the easiest way to access health care.

Looking for input from others with their experiences along these lines.

TIA!
Thanks BAZZA. Great question and thanks to all that responded. Much needed help.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
My wife and I are using Mutual of Omaha. It's works out to be about $180 a month for each of us. I've been very pleased with it. My wife is currently in cancer treatment and she gets a pet-scan every 3 months. Also she is on very expensive chemo drugs. It been totally covered and we haven't spent a dime.
My biggest expense in retirement is insurance. I'm thankful I can afford it, but I never thought insurance would be this high. Good luck in your decision!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
My company operated a sizable self insured plan in the panhandle. I met with the BCBS rep in Florida and recall telling him that we would not by choice do business with BCBS but that the size of their PPO and discount structure made them the only economic choice.

In the Major Metro areas it is more economical for clinics to partner with hospitals to form a competitive PPO with attractive features but it is often cost prohibitive for them to expand into rural areas.
This is the same issue in rural AL. Two ladies who attend where I serve got switched to Humana. They came to me to see if I could get the answers regarding primary care providers, pharmacies, etc. A good friend of mine got them in touch with a case manager at Hellen Keller in Muscle Shoals. She told them what you just said. If they lived up there or were willing to drive they would’ve been fine. But around here they would struggle to find providers. It was the only plan they could afford on their income so they were stuck. I think they were able to get it solved but it took some searching & headache.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
My wife and I are using Mutual of Omaha. It's works out to be about $180 a month for each of us. I've been very pleased with it. My wife is currently in cancer treatment and she gets a pet-scan every 3 months. Also she is on very expensive chemo drugs. It been totally covered and we haven't spent a dime.
My biggest expense in retirement is insurance. I'm thankful I can afford it, but I never thought insurance would be this high. Good luck in your decision!
I am looking down the road at retirement in 10 years or less. My Dad had Medicare Advantage and it seemed to pay for most of his bills. He had a couple of extended hospital stays during his last few months. A $30,000 bill and he paid about $1500 out of pocket. I was shocked. I expected much more.

The only real hiccup I had with Humana was when I changed his address (so I could get all of his bills sent to me since he was incapable of handling his affairs). Humana cancelled him because they thought he had moved here to Nebraska with me....and Humana doesn't cover this state. After several frantic phone calls and faxes, I got his insurance restored. The only way I found out that they had canceled him was when his P.T. called and said his insurance was denied.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Just received a nice Medicare information packet in the mail today from the Department of Health and Human Services.

It also has my Medicare ID card.......showing I'm already enrolled in Plan A & B!

I can elect to cancel Plan B if I want, but don't see the need to do that right now. It's only $135.50/mo. so very reasonable.

I'm really impressed with the way this system is set up. I have some reading to do and will check back when I know more.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.