Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar?

I turn 65 next June and am looking forward to enrolling in Medicare.

The plan right now is to enroll in Medicare under a Humana Advantage Plan.

Seems like it would be the easiest way to access health care.

Looking for input from others with their experiences along these lines.

TIA!

2. Advertisement
  3. July 16th, 2018, 02:28 PM

Reason
    OT

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

All states have different Supplemental plans. Medicare sent me a list of all of them offered in Alabama WITH ratings, so comparisons were easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Re: Anyone here on Medicare and if so are you on a Humana advantage plan - or similar

Just parts A & B, no supplemental plans.

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    All states have different Supplemental plans. Medicare sent me a list of all of them offered in Alabama WITH ratings, so comparisons were easy.

Thanks - will look into that here.

If it's not too much to ask...how did Humana stack up against the others?

I have heard nothing but positive feedback from those I have spoken to. Maybe a half dozen or so folks.

BamaNation All-SEC

My experience managing group plans for a number of years is that BCBS has the broadest IPO in most southern states and a much more competitive discount structure with providers than any other insurer. I chose BCBS originally for that reason. In reviewing the various BCBS Advantage Plans one would be able to select the one that best fits their needs particularly when it comes to co-pays and deductibles on prescription drugs.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Thanks - will look into that here.

If it's not too much to ask...how did Humana stack up against the others?

I have heard nothing but positive feedback from those I have spoken to. Maybe a half dozen or so folks.
    They werenít as good as UHC or Viva Advantage (which I have), if it was even offered in Alabama - I donít recall if it was or not. The two I mentioned were the only two with 4.5 star ratings (none rated 5 stars). I know some guys have UHC and they like it, Iím totally happy with Viva at this point.
    Viva is operated by UAB, I believe, and there is no cost for the coverage.

The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    My experience managing group plans for a number of years is that BCBS has the broadest IPO in most southern states and a much more competitive discount structure with providers than any other insurer. I chose BCBS originally for that reason. In reviewing the various BCBS Advantage Plans one would be able to select the one that best fits their needs particularly when it comes to co-pays and deductibles on prescription drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    They werenít as good as UHC or Viva Advantage (which I have), if it was even offered in Alabama - I donít recall if it was or not. The two I mentioned were the only two with 4.5 star ratings (none rated 5 stars). I know some guys have UHC and they like it, Iím totally happy with Viva at this point.
    Viva is operated by UAB, I believe, and there is no cost for the coverage.

OK thanks, fellas....appreciate it!

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

In Alabama, you might as well get Blue Cross. Don't know about Florida. Go online and find out how many doctors take that particular insurance/ are in their network. You should be able to compare plans from the same company on the company website.

I have Blue Cross Blue Advantage which costs me about $44 per month. Been happy with it.

Check and see if you can get your dogs included on the plan!

BamaNation All-SEC

BCBS is essentially the only game in town in Florida outside the Major Metros. They are equally as strong as in AL.

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    BCBS is essentially the only game in town in Florida outside the Major Metros. They are equally as strong as in AL.
    UAH ---

Can you please elaborate? Not sure I understand what you are saying. Thanks!

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    UAH ---
    Can you please elaborate? Not sure I understand what you are saying. Thanks!
    Basically, wherever you happen to be in the state, the nearest hospital will almost certainly accept BCBS. That's not the case with the other carriers. If you don't have BCBS and are outside a major metro area, it's a crapshoot.
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Basically, wherever you happen to be in the state, the nearest hospital will almost certainly accept BCBS. That's not the case with the other carriers. If you don't have BCBS and are outside a major metro area, it's a crapshoot.
    My company operated a sizable self insured plan in the panhandle. I met with the BCBS rep in Florida and recall telling him that we would not by choice do business with BCBS but that the size of their PPO and discount structure made them the only economic choice.

In the Major Metro areas it is more economical for clinics to partner with hospitals to form a competitive PPO with attractive features but it is often cost prohibitive for them to expand into rural areas.

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    OK thanks.

That aspect was never mentioned as an issue with any of the folks I queried.

I will keep that in mind going forward as something to assess.

Thanks again guys....