Vinnie Sunseri Thinks '18 Defense Will Be Like '10 Defense (have mental struggles)

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Yes, I worry about leadership on a defense that has lost almost all of it's leaders, but the talent is there. I imagine a lot of leadership building has gone since January.

rtr

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Any issues or concerns are small ones and can likely be overcome, particularly with a relatively tepid schedule, our coaching staff, and gaining experience as the season ages.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Any issues or concerns are small ones and can likely be overcome, particularly with a relatively tepid schedule, our coaching staff, and gaining experience as the season ages.
Agreed. We've got a slow ramp to begin the season. Our first six games outside of TAMU are really layups and A&M is at home in week 4.

As long as the offense doesn't stumble (and that's frankly hard to imagine) we ought to be fine!

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Homers will dismiss the comments, but trouble in the secondary is a real concern.

The real difference, in my mind, is that 1) the program is deeper, more dominant and more stable now as a whole and 2) the SEC isn't nearly as deep and tough now as it was in 2010.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Homers will dismiss the comments, but trouble in the secondary is a real concern.

The real difference, in my mind, is that 1) the program is deeper, more dominant and more stable now as a whole and 2) the SEC isn't nearly as deep and tough now as it was in 2010.
The real problem with the 2010 team had nothing to do with their inexperienced defense. Sure, Vinnie has a few solid points. But he is making assumptions based on those points and using 2010 as his basis for those assumptions. That is where he fails.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well they gave up only 176 points (13.5 ppg) and were 3rd overall in scoring defense through 13 games. In just defense alone I’ll take that!!!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We're talented but inexperienced, especially in the secondary. To think they won't have more busts than we're used to seeing, especially early, is whistling past the graveyard.

The good news is that early in the season, we play some teams (Louisville and OM) who run offenses that will tax them, but who also don't have the horses to realistically hang in with us to the point of upset.

Lamar Jackson may be gone, but Bobby Petrino is still there, and he knows how to confuse a youngster. I will not be at all surprised to see us give up some cheap points, possibly on 50+ yard plays.

I'm not being an Eeyore here. I don't think we'll be threatened in the second half of the 4th quarter. I just expect some growing pains.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I would be more concerned with replacing both def and off coordinators if not for the fact that both have more two years on the sraff already.

Still some cause for concern, but not as if both were newbies.
Great point!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
2010 defense really only blew the South Carolina game. LSU and Auburn games had a lot more to do with inconsistent offense leading to a few mental gaffs blowing the opportunity.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I’m with NT17. This defense will be fine. Staying healthy is the biggest factor in my opinion. The pass rushers will be there this season like two years ago. I also think the running game will be move of a focus which will give the defense more rest. I think the offense will also have less 3 and outs but like every year things can happen. Can’t wait though!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.