asked if he expects Jalen Hurts to be on the roster. Saban: I have no idea.......

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I was listening to it on WJOX when he said it. I was shocked that he worded it that way. I fully expected his answer to be, "Why wouldn't he be?" When the question was asked, I was expecting a tinhorn level CNS rant to follow.
I don't think he could use that line after what Jalen's dad said recently. I did not take it as a veiled comment at all.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I was listening to it on WJOX when he said it. I was shocked that he worded it that way. I fully expected his answer to be, "Why wouldn't he be?" When the question was asked, I was expecting a tinhorn level CNS rant to follow.
He probably meant to use a triple negative, for clarity. “Why wouldn’t he not not be?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Or maybe that was exactly what CNS meant. I agree that CNS rarely says anything he doesn't mean to say.
We all know that CNS uses the media to get messages across to his team. After some of the discussions this offseason, I feel like he's probably laid out options for Jalen (compete, be a team player, get your degree, if you're not happy at the end of the season, go the graduate transfer route). His comments yesterday were possibly a reaction to what Jalen's Dad has been saying/threatening. I expect him to be there; but, with Dad, who knows?

Or I could be way off, who knows? One thing for sure, it's July now; but September's coming . . .

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I was surprised when he said that Jalen will graduate this December. Graduating in 3 years is strong. I bet Jalen stays this season and then becomes a graduate transfer next year.....assuming Tua wins the job.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I was surprised when he said that Jalen will graduate this December. Graduating in 3 years is strong. I bet Jalen stays this season and then becomes a graduate transfer next year.....assuming Tua wins the job.
You have to remember that these kids get extra classes because they are on campus every term, not just the two major terms. Add the fact that most are not taking engineering type courses and graduating in 3 years is pretty easy.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
You have to remember that these kids get extra classes because they are on campus every term, not just the two major terms. Add the fact that most are not taking engineering type courses and graduating in 3 years is pretty easy.
I know the why. That doesn't make it less impressive.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Interesting interview on CF Live with CNS. Well worth checking out as he explains his emotion from the 1st down sack to the 2nd and 26 TD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgFsIFpOoR4
One of the first things Saban says in that interview is that they haven't considered playing both of them together all that much. That's good to hear because I don't think it would work nor would it be necessary.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I didn't laugh much after the Auburn game
I would think Coach Saban did not laugh at all (until the last play of the season). Our opinions mean nothing to him and he knows what is best for the team and I feel certain he will make the right decision. Thank goodness we will all know soon so some can relax.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
. Our opinions mean nothing to him and he knows what is best for the team and I feel certain he will make the right decision. .
I wonder if he could do it over would he play Tua in that Auburn game. His own offensive coordinator, the guy he hired to run the offense, wanted to play Tagovailoa, and that's exactly who he had to turn to after Hurts failed yet again to move the ball, or score, in the national title game. In retrospect, I'm not sure he made the right decision in the Auburn game. He is, after all, human. He's not infallible, nor perfect. The best college football coach ever? Probably, though there was a guy name of Bryant that is a contender, but still...

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
I was watching the pres conference on SEC network last night and remember the comments made. It came off to me at the time as a nuthin muffin. Coach Saban simply deflected and moved on. But later on after the broadcast, I heard McElroy make the statement that the best thing for Hurts would be to stay put and ask Coach Saban to only put him in 4 games next season as to save his red shirt. He then graduates in December with three years at Bama and two somewhere else, probably A&M (IMHO). After that I watched the Bama-FSU and quickly remembered why I like the way Tua plays the game.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I wonder if he could do it over would he play Tua in that Auburn game. His own offensive coordinator, the guy he hired to run the offense, wanted to play Tagovailoa, and that's exactly who he had to turn to after Hurts failed yet again to move the ball, or score, in the national title game. In retrospect, I'm not sure he made the right decision in the Auburn game. He is, after all, human. He's not infallible, nor perfect. The best college football coach ever? Probably, though there was a guy name of Bryant that is a contender, but still...
I don't think he would and I don't think he should have in the Barn game. At that point Jalen was 11-0 and was coming off the great comeback against MSU and if not for a botched FG attempt late in the 3rd qtr we would have been down less than one score. I think Tua would have done great and maybe won the game but not starting your 11-0 QB or pulling him in the biggest game of the year would have been the biggest mistake in college football history considering the particular scenario at the time IMO. After the Barn loss however was the perfect time to do it and if not for our total early dominance of Clemson we would have seen Tua in the semi-final.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Only thing that I know for a fact...is that it makes no difference what I think, but this post describes my feelings exactly. With the rules for free agency as they are now..I won't be at all surprised if Jalen does drag up. I respect Jalen (as a fan) and appreciate his contributions. I also think he has plenty of football left to play. I miss the days when 'dads' kept their comments private. But then in sports nowadays there is a stigma about stepping up to the mike. Jalen didn't make those comments. Over the years.....we have seen it happen when Dad becomes vocal to the press. Mr Hurts has not yet approached Eric Locke's dad, and I hope that he does not.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.