asked if he expects Jalen Hurts to be on the roster. Saban: I have no idea.......

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The full quote is a little less interesting

“I have no idea,” Saban said when asked if he thought Hurts would be on the roster when the season opens Sept. 1 against Louisville. “I expect him to be there. It’s our job to give both players a very fair opportunity to have a chance to win the team at their position. … Both are capable. We’ll create a role for one or both of those guys on our team and they’ll all have to make a decision, based on the outcome (of the competition), as to their future at Alabama.

“Jalen has a great opportunity (to graduate) in December, so we are hopeful he will stay and do that regardless of what happens. … But that’s not to minimize his chances (of winning the starting job).”

Alabama's starting quarterback controversy remains; 'We'll see,' Nick Saban says

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I completely get what he is saying in this and don't think he is wrong. The words "I have no idea" were not the best idea, though. He surely knew this questions was coming for 7 months or so. Might could have come up with a better choice of words there.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I completely get what he is saying in this and don't think he is wrong. The words "I have no idea" were not the best idea, though. He surely knew this questions was coming for 7 months or so. Might could have come up with a better choice of words there.
Yea, I think he was clearly trying to toe the line of "I'm not giving you any new piece of information." and "Nothing I tell you will be seen as wrong or a lie no matter what happens"

He was trying and mostly succeeded in saying nothing of real substance.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Or maybe that was exactly what CNS meant. I agree that CNS rarely says anything he doesn't mean to say.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I interpreted the "I have no idea..." statement to mean that CNS doesn't know if JH will be on the team should Tua win the job. But, anyone that believed CNS would give any indication one way or the other as to the status of the starting QB competition needs to take a breath, and be patient. Aside from JPW being the most experienced, or McElroy and McCarron returning after winning national championships, CNS hasn't been open at all about specifically who will win the job. Like what Marcus Spears said today, that's just how CNS is, and you might as well get used to it.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I was listening to it on WJOX when he said it. I was shocked that he worded it that way. I fully expected his answer to be, "Why wouldn't he be?" When the question was asked, I was expecting a tinhorn level CNS rant to follow.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I interpreted the "I have no idea..." statement to mean that CNS doesn't know if JH will be on the team should Tua win the job. But, anyone that believed CNS would give any indication one way or the other as to the status of the starting QB competition needs to take a breath, and be patient. Aside from JPW being the most experienced, or McElroy and McCarron returning after winning national championships, CNS hasn't been open at all about specifically who will win the job. Like what Marcus Spears said today, that's just how CNS is, and you might as well get used to it.
FWIW, I don't think Coach Saban will say anything about the QB position until he's on the field for the Louisville game.

[EDIT] - had this backwards] But I also DO think Coach Saban already has a pretty firm expectation about who is going to be starting that game, and who is going to be finishing it.

My sense (or at least hope) is that Coach had already had a "heart to heart" meeting with Jalen AND HIS Dad. AND that "Papa" Hurts has already made all the phone calls he wanted to make to HC's &/or OC's around the Country. For Jalen's sake, let's hope Dad also called Urban Meyer and got his opinion.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
FWIW, I don't think Coach Saban will say anything about the QB position until he's on the field for the Louisville game.

But I also don't think Coach Saban already has a pretty firm expectation about who is going to be starting that game, and who is going to be finishing it.

My sense (or at least hope) is that Coach had already had a "heart to heart" meeting with Jalen AND HIS Dad. AND that "Papa" Hurts has already made all the phone calls he wanted to make to HC's &/or OC's around the Country. For Jalen's sake, let's hope Dad also called Urban Meyer and got his opinion.
I think a few months back Earle alluded to this may have certainly happened. It was shortly after Mr. Hurts' public comments.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I do think CNS should be allowed a little liberty and we shouldn't read between the lines, but I think his uncertainty about what will happen to Jalen possibly even before the season and/or at the end of the season speaks to the reality that he's acknowleging he's fully aware that starting Tua may cause Jalen to transfer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am glad that Saban was that frank. If Jalen is thinking about leaving and this pushes him over the edge, so be it. If Jalen is committed to this team for the season, this comment will not matter at all. And, after what Mr. Hurts said this spring, is there any way that Saban can really know where Jalen will be?

Sometimes honesty sounds harsh, but it is still honesty.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I am glad that Saban was that frank. If Jalen is thinking about leaving and this pushes him over the edge, so be it. If Jalen is committed to this team for the season, this comment will not matter at all. And, after what Mr. Hurts said this spring, is there any way that Saban can really know where Jalen will be?

The truth is quicker. It doesn't waste everybody's time.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I am glad that Saban was that Frank. If Jalen is thinking about leaving and this pushes him over the edge, so be it. If Jalen is committed to this team for the season, this comment will not matter at all. And, after what Mr. Hurts said this spring, is there any way that Saban can really know where Jalen will be?

Wait. I thought his name was Nick!?!?!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I do think CNS should be allowed a little liberty and we shouldn't read between the lines, but I think his uncertainty about what will happen to Jalen possibly even before the season and/or at the end of the season speaks to the reality that he's acknowleging he's fully aware that starting Tua may cause Jalen to transfer.
I could be wrong and completely naive on this. I don't recall exactly the words but he went on to talk about discussing with Jalen the possibility of graduating early and reiterated that it was an open competition that may not be decided at the first game. Later with Marcus Spears he talked about The Peach Bowl with LSU where he inserted Rohan Davy (I believe) in the second half after Josh Booty struggled as being similar to Jalen - Tua. He said that he felt that they knew both QB's capability very well.

I may be redundant but I felt that the reporting took this out of context. It is obvious that CNS would like to have three QB's going into the season and is going to do his best to accomplish that for the benefit of the team.

I continue to hear Coach Saban's philosophy toward developing the young men who play for him in such a complete and comprehensive manner. He is without parallel in this regard I believe. I was impressed that he appeared very tanned and physically fit today. Ready for Number 18.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
It is obvious that CNS would like to have three QB's going into the season and is going to do his best to accomplish that for the benefit of the team.
Don't let's forget Layne Hatcher, recruited by none other than Alabama qb coach Dan Enos

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.