Is the OK sign not okay?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's never been a 'white power' sign, that's ridiculous.

"However, opinions on this matter are varied. Last year, the Anti-Defamation League said the hand sign is not a hate symbol.

A post from the ADL blog claims the rhetoric behind the "OK" was created in a social media hoax that began on 4chan.

"The 'OK' hand gesture hoax originated in February 2017 when an anonymous 4channer announced 'Operation O-KKK,' telling other members that 'we must flood Twitter and other social media websites...claiming that the OK hand sign is a symbol of white supremacy,'" according to the blog."

Unfortunately, free speech protects trolls and idiots, too.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
"The 'OK' hand gesture hoax originated in February 2017 when an anonymous 4channer announced 'Operation O-KKK,' telling other members that 'we must flood Twitter and other social media websites...claiming that the OK hand sign is a symbol of white supremacy,'" according to the blog."

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Might be somewhat of the origins of it being co-opted for this hoax-

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2017/06/12/what-ok-hand-signal-means-militia-movement

For the antigovernment Three Percenter movement this same hand gesture symbolizes their belief in the disputed claim that only three percent of American colonists fought against the British in the American Revolution. The three extended fingers represent this three percent.

It is this Threeper version of the “OK” hand symbol — which predates the 4chan troll campaign — that the III% Security Force was most likely flashing last weekend.
Won't link it but there are images on google of people on hate sites bragging about the 4Chan hoax efforts in owning the libs by getting them to spread false stories.

Plus it sparked a bit with the pictures of interns posing with Trump making the symbol.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/intern-white-power-hand-gesture/

Mark Pitcavage, senior research fellow at the ADL’s Center on Extremism, told us that while the gesture has evolved since it was first conceived by anonymous Internet trolls in the first half of 2017, it has persisted. But it’s still hardly safe to assume a person using the gesture is intending to communicate hate. Instead it’s typically used by various right wing personalities, often while posing for photographs, to troll liberals and garner an outraged response:

Right now whenever anyone is using it in this context it’s very sort of ironic and trolling. But if it persists there’s a chance the ironic aspects of it might fall away with time. That happens organically and it’s way too soon to know if the usage will just drop off once they get bored with it, or if they continue to using it ironically in a trolling fashion, or something else.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
mayor suspends the men without pay based on "Some people say..." ?

Sounds like the good folks of Jasper need to consider another mayor in the next election.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Old surfing friend - one of the best from our area and now deceased had an "OK" logo for his surfboards.....made with your fingers. It came off an old record album. Will try to find it....

Here he is with his patented cutback at Lower Trestles in 1973.....

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
The Jasper Police Department's tactical team, of which four members made hand signals while posing for a Daily Mountain Eagle photo, has been suspended from operation and training for two weeks, while civil service complaints have been filed against the four individual officers. Officers on the team are continuing to report to work, despite previous reports from other media outlets.

------

O'Mary said he has not talked to the officers, saying that would be inappropriate in the chain of command. Poe said the suspension of the team came from himself, not the mayor. He said the mayor has been "extremely supportive" of law enforcement, but that O'Mary will not allow "any mistreatment of the citizens or anything being done inappropriately, and neither will I."
http://mountaineagle.com/stories/tactical-team-suspended-in-wake-of-photo,16853?

Some may remember that I posted a while back about an experience my wife had with local law enforcement. I've recently had the fortune to vote against the incumbent Sheriff twice. I'd like to be able to vote against Poe; I guess O'Mary will have to do.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I love the self-appointed schmucks who want to inform the rest of us what should be offensive.

The Rebel flag is offensive because of what it originally meant (btw - fair enough, no big deal)

The name Redskins is offensive NOT because of original intent but because some self-appointed arbiters have decided this for us. (We should ignore that 90% of NAs don’t five a rip).

The ok sign is offensive because of who uses it.

Should we demand that Onward Christian Soldiers be banned because the Klan sings it? (So I hear, I haven’t attended any recent meetings, Blue font)

Stay tuned. There’s a new outrage over nothing coming.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I love the self-appointed schmucks who want to inform the rest of us what should be offensive.

The Rebel flag is offensive because of what it originally meant (btw - fair enough, no big deal)

The name Redskins is offensive NOT because of original intent but because some self-appointed arbiters have decided this for us. (We should ignore that 90% of NAs don’t five a rip).

The ok sign is offensive because of who uses it.

Should we demand that Onward Christian Soldiers be banned because the Klan sings it? (So I hear, I haven’t attended any recent meetings, Blue font)

Stay tuned. There’s a new outrage over nothing coming.
you forgot Apu from the Simpsons. He is offensive now because some unknown hack Indian comedian made a "documentary" and told us he is.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The OK sign is the same as the middle finger in some cultures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
you forgot Apu from the Simpsons. He is offensive now because some unknown hack Indian comedian made a "documentary" and told us he is.
Have never watched them and didn’t know that (technically; saw one episode in Gitmo).

I get that there can be a degree of flexibility but it’s usually the same folks simply jumping around like popcorn to inform us what they think is offensive that gets tiring. And I’m one of those that will do something just because it gets a rise out of someone (as are more than half the folks).

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i think this is in the play stupid games category for the cops. maybe they were just trolling and thought they were being subtly clever holding the ok sign down like that. but they are doing it in the exact same way that many white nationalist d-bags have been for the past year or two.

regardless, i'm more offended by them playing special operator/military cos-play

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Have never watched them and didn’t know that (technically; saw one episode in Gitmo).

I get that there can be a degree of flexibility but it’s usually the same folks simply jumping around like popcorn to inform us what they think is offensive that gets tiring. And I’m one of those that will do something just because it gets a rise out of someone (as are more than half the folks).
i am in the same category, but when you are a police officer, you don't necessarily get to do stuff just to get a rise out of someone without getting some serious pushback.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

The funny thing is the show’s creator is a huge liberal leftwing guy and he is just as confused by the backlash his 30 year old character is getting.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.