Let Down Against Louisville

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think Louisville will test us but the game will never be in doubt. I think Petrino has a good qb from what I’ve been hearing and reading but I think it’s like his Auburn game a few years back in which he has a very green qb going against a superior team. I expect Petrino to air it out a lot and I believe we are going to see some youth in our secondary early in the season.

Halftime UA 35 UL13
UA 56 UL 27 (mostly 3rd and 4th quarter)

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Petrino's biggest problem against the upper crust is that his offense would wilt a bit and the defense was woeful. Given what I've seen of Louisville's D over the last few years, even his gadgets that create a few scoring opportunities won't be enough unless our offense is a mess.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I think Louisville will test us but the game will never be in doubt. I think Petrino has a good qb from what I’ve been hearing and reading but I think it’s like his Auburn game a few years back in which he has a very green qb going against a superior team. I expect Petrino to air it out a lot and I believe we are going to see some youth in our secondary early in the season.

Halftime UA 35 UL13
UA 56 UL 27 (mostly 3rd and 4th quarter)
We were very close to losing that game thanks to JJ throwing three picks. The D actually gave us that lead before the Lamar Jackson show began. Had that game been ten minutes longer, or had Petrino given Bonnafon the hook earlier, we probably would have lost.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
. Given what I've seen of Louisville's D over the last few years, even his gadgets that create a few scoring opportunities won't be enough unless our offense is a mess.
Yeah that's why I don't see any way they beat us. We could probably call 60 running plays and win by 2 scores. I just think Louisville will be able to score on us more than many feel comfortable with due to a young secondary mixed with the Lewis injury. I think our true test is week 3 on the road against Ole Miss with a very talented qb and arguably one of the best receiver groups in the nation.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Yeah that's why I don't see any way they beat us. We could probably call 60 running plays and win by 2 scores. I just think Louisville will be able to score on us more than many feel comfortable with due to a young secondary mixed with the Lewis injury. I think our true test is week 3 on the road against Ole Miss with a very talented qb and arguably one of the best receiver groups in the nation.
I have that one circled too. That receiving corps is scary good.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I will never forget Georgia Tech beating Bama and coach Bryant in '81, 24-21, first game of the season and never winning another game the rest of the year!!

Don't see that playing out with Louisville, but stranger things have happened just as it did in '81!! Bama is going to make mince meat of them!! ;)

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
If anybody thinks Bama will have a problem see:

Michigan, 2012
USCw, 2016
FSU, 2017

All I heard before those games was how we might be tested, how we may struggle, too many question marks on O-Line/D-Line/QB/DB...

We good fam, we good

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If anybody thinks Bama will have a problem see:

Michigan, 2012
USCw, 2016
FSU, 2017

All I heard before those games was how we might be tested, how we may struggle, too many question marks on O-Line/D-Line/QB/DB...

We good fam, we good
2014 WVU we had probably the same type of situation we have on defense. A very young secondary gave up 20+ points against a pass happy team.

All 3 games you referenced we had experienced defenses coming back especially in the secondary.

We are going to win comfortably, but how comfortably is open for discussion because we know Petrino is going to play the reps for my new QBs game.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I just don't worry about season openers anymore. Since we opened with Clemson to begin 2008 and every year after that we beat some really good teams. Petrino had a couple of really good teams at Arkansas and they lost to us. He is an offensive minded coach and his defenses just aren't very good. I'm not worried. RTR!

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I will never forget Georgia Tech beating Bama and coach Bryant in '81, 24-21, first game of the season and never winning another game the rest of the year!!

Don't see that playing out with Louisville, but stranger things have happened just as it did in '81!! Bama is going to make mince meat of them!! ;)
By '81 Bama was not Bama anymore, i.e., Coach Bryant was not himself. Bama's 2 reg season blemishes were that GT game and a 13-13 tie in BDS which snapped a ~57 game win streak to a Reggie Collier led So Miss team. Bama was fortunate to tie. Bama was unblemished in SEC play. i.e., they were uncharacteristically erratic. But Coach Bryant deserved to coach as long as he wanted.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We have mostly opened with high profile football powers during Saban’s tenure which provided considerable motivation for the team in the off season. I don’t personally consider Louisville to be in the same class as most of the other openers. It seems to me that Louisville has the psychological advantage in this game. Is an opening upset due to a lack of off-season focus by our players possible? Missouri besting us in Birmingham for a season opener during the CPB era in a year that we were very highly rated comes to mind. Thoughts/opinions?
How? where did you get the idea that Louisville has the psychological advantage in this game? I just don't see it. What lack off season focus we've had? We only had one issue with Cowan.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
By '81 Bama was not Bama anymore, i.e., Coach Bryant was not himself. Bama's 2 reg season blemishes were that GT game and a 13-13 tie in BDS which snapped a ~57 game win streak to a Reggie Collier led So Miss team. Bama was fortunate to tie. Bama was unblemished in SEC play. i.e., they were uncharacteristically erratic. But Coach Bryant deserved to coach as long as he wanted.
Correct!! And lets not even talk about who Techs coach was!! ;)

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I just can't see a let down in Game 1. Remembering back to high school football a long time ago, you couldn't wait for that first game, just to get out there and hit somebody different. I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what type of offense we will be running. We've got great backs, great receivers, great qb's...how will we use them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Well, that wasn't OUR opener, although it was Tech's.

ABC moved the LSU game up from November 7 to September 5 and showed it in prime time (which was a rarity back then).

I still remember former QB Norm Van Brocklin mocking us on "Football Saturday On TBS," a Saturday night show that previewed the NFL.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You're conflating here.

1) the 1981 USM game was in Legion Field
2) the 1982 game vs USM ended the 57-game unbeaten streak

Alabama went into the 1982 bowl games with an outside shot at the national title.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We have mostly opened with high profile football powers during Saban’s tenure which provided considerable motivation for the team in the off season. I don’t personally consider Louisville to be in the same class as most of the other openers. It seems to me that Louisville has the psychological advantage in this game.
Have their fans been chanting "We Want Bama"?

Is an opening upset due to a lack of off-season focus by our players possible?
About as possible as me being intimate with Kate Upton. Unless, of course, Saban has been looking at that Texas gig again.

Missouri besting us in Birmingham for a season opener during the CPB era in a year that we were very highly rated comes to mind. Thoughts/opinions?
That team may have been 6-5, but it was a good Missouri team. They lost to eventual national champs OU, 28-27. In fact, all four of their losses came to highly ranked teams - Michigan, Colorado, Nebraska, and OU. So it's not like Mizzou was a "bad" team.

I don't see Louisville in the same category.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If it wasn't for Saivion Smith and Deionte Thompson is be much more concerned. Our front 7 should be dominate even without Lewis. Our secondary will be inexperienced but talented so maybe there are a few communication issues. But is Louisville really the team that can take advantage enough so to win or get all that close? I doubt it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If it wasn't for Saivion Smith and Deionte Thompson is be much more concerned. Our front 7 should be dominate even without Lewis. Our secondary will be inexperienced but talented so maybe there are a few communication issues. But is Louisville really the team that can take advantage enough so to win or get all that close? I doubt it.
You know Smith is starting for sure?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.