What was the greatest iron bowl?

Greatest iron bowl

• Total voters

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
From a historical perspective, it would have to be the 1985 Iron Bowl.

Personally, the 2008 and 2014 Iron Bowls are special to me. Of course the 2008 was the game where the streak snapped, and it felt like us getting the monkey off our backs after we won.

The 2014 game was great. We need more night Iron Bowl kickoffs, the crowd was absolutely electric. We get out to a 14-6 lead, then Auburn goes on a 27-7 run with Blake throwing three picks and everyone calling for Coker to get in the game. Then we start taking some deep shots to Cooper to finish the game on a 34-11 run. The only drawback was the lack of defense that night. Nick Marshall, Sammie Coates, and Duke Williams were seemingly unstoppable but we were able to survive.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
From a historical perspective, it would have to be the 1985 Iron Bowl.

Personally, the 2008 and 2014 Iron Bowls are special to me. Of course the 2008 was the game where the streak snapped, and it felt like us getting the monkey off our backs after we won.

The 2014 game was great. We need more night Iron Bowl kickoffs, the crowd was absolutely electric. We get out to a 14-6 lead, then Auburn goes on a 27-7 run with Blake throwing three picks and everyone calling for Coker to get in the game. Then we start taking some deep shots to Cooper to finish the game on a 34-11 run. The only drawback was the lack of defense that night. Nick Marshall, Sammie Coates, and Duke Williams were seemingly unstoppable but we were able to survive.
That game was the final nail in Ellis Johnson's coffin.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)
My favorite game was the '73 game, 35-0 win. It was special because it came the year after the 17-16 Punt Bama Punt game and started us on a nine-year winning streak. I was so excited to go and buy my t-shirt, "17-16 is no more, 35-0 is the score." I wore it until the letters faded so bad no one could read it anymore.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
11/27/1971 #3 Alabama vs #5 auburn, the first time both teams were undefeated going into the game. With Terry Beasley being stretchered off the field early, Pat Sullivan, who had just won the Heisman Trophy, was shut down. The Alabama wishbone and overpowering defense roared to a 31-7 win.
I thought Sullivan was off in the game after being away from the team for the Heisman award. Auburn's passing game was missing the entire game and Bama dominated on both sides of the ball. Unfortunately a few weeks later in the Orange Bowl Nebraska was able to give us a dose of the same medicine.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
11/27/1971 #3 Alabama vs #5 auburn, the first time both teams were undefeated going into the game. With Terry Beasley being stretchered off the field early, Pat Sullivan, who had just won the Heisman Trophy, was shut down. The Alabama wishbone and overpowering defense roared to a 31-7 win.
As an aside, if you ever want to meet a guy that paid, and paid hard, to be a legend, that would be Terry Beasley. I've met him and was starstruck, but my goodness.

Never forget him telling me about the 70 IB, when he was knocked cold. His front teeth were knocked through his upper lip and he had to be dragged off the field. Swallowed his mouth piece and had to vomit it up on the sideline. He remembers Shug telling him "Terry, we need you." Ran a reverse for a big play. He said he doesn't remember anything about the play.

Last edited:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
1999 Bama goes to Auburn and Shaun Alexander dominates for Bama's first win at Auburn.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Nobody picked last year? Context - you lost, but the loss propelled you to a national championship. That has got to stick in the craws of Auburn fans.

Auburn beat Alabama to make the SECCG, then got rocked by Georgia and UCF. Meanwhile, Alabama gets to rest and heal up because they didn't have to play in the SECCG, which is probably the biggest reason that you were able to win it all last year. IMO, the loss to Auburn was necessary for Alabama to win the championship last year for many reasons, and it might also have saved Alabama from what may have truly been the end of the Saban dynasty.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
As an aside, if you ever want to meet a guy that paid, and paid hard, to be a legend, that would be Terry Beasley. I've met him and was starstruck, but my goodness.

Never forget him telling me about the 70 IB, when he was knocked cold. His front teeth were knocked through his upper lip and he had to be dragged off the field. Swallowed his mouth piece and had to vomit it up on the sideline. He remembers Shug telling him "Terry, we need you." Ran a reverse for a big play. He said he doesn't remember anything about the play.
I have always admired Sullivan and Beasley. They were great football players and men I think and played during the days when I rooted hard for Auburn and Alabama. The Auburn Tennessee game that year with Auburn's comeback win in Knoxville must be an all time great for Auburn fans.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I have always admired Sullivan and Beasley. They were great football players and men I think and played during the days when I rooted hard for Auburn and Alabama. The Auburn Tennessee game that year with Auburn's comeback win in Knoxville must be an all time great for Auburn fans.
For the old timers, sure lol. I'm a young'un. Was raised in a literal Auburn family though, so Sullivan to Beasley is every bit as much a part of the lore to me as War Eagle or the Bodda Getta. I count myself extremely lucky to have met both and to have the opportunity to shoot the breeze with Terry. Shame my girls probably won't experience it.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Yes, they were great football players who just happened to play for the wrong team 😉.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

That's so haunting with what we now know about CTE......a good story but.....wow....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Nobody picked last year? Context - you lost, but the loss propelled you to a national championship. That has got to stick in the craws of Auburn fans.

Auburn beat Alabama to make the SECCG, then got rocked by Georgia and UCF. Meanwhile, Alabama gets to rest and heal up because they didn't have to play in the SECCG, which is probably the biggest reason that you were able to win it all last year. IMO, the loss to Auburn was necessary for Alabama to win the championship last year for many reasons, and it might also have saved Alabama from what may have truly been the end of the Saban dynasty.
That may be, but the game itself was yuck right after we took the lead in the third. That whole clap and fumble thing just......I thought that might be one of those we thought about ten years later if by chance we never won one during the interim.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Don’t know about greatest, but the ones I remember the most are 1972 punt Bama punt, 1982? Bo over the top, 1997? Ed Scissum fumble, 2013 kick 6, because they hurt the worst. I guess The greatest include 2009, 1973 because of 17-16 ain’t no more ,35-0 is the score, And o course 2012 49-0.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
That's so haunting with what we now know about CTE......a good story but.....wow....
His health problems are well documented. 50+ concussions. Rare are the weeks he doesn't have a seizure, and he's pretty scatterbrained now, unfortunately.

Never forget our second meeting , while I was at Auburn, when he remembered who I was while his wife, Marlene, did not. "You were the young man I spoke to at Sears!" It was touching.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That may be, but the game itself was yuck right after we took the lead in the third. That whole clap and fumble thing just......I thought that might be one of those we thought about ten years later if by chance we never won one during the interim.
I hear Alabama fans tell me time after time that winning the Auburn game is not nearly as important as winning a championship. Well, here is the only example of Alabama losing the Auburn game, which allowed you to win a national championship that you otherwise would likely not have won.

Beating Auburn is great. I get it. But this was better than any win over Auburn in a non-championship year.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Thank you for the kind words, my man.

Best I attended in person has to be 97. Inexplicable screen pass call to Scissum when Bama had nearly locked up the game, followed by a Jaret Holmes FG with seconds on the clock. First Auburn game. First time my parents turned me loose to roll the trees. Sealed the deal on my fandom.

Best as an Auburn fan has to be 2010. Storming back to win after a rocket hot start from the Tide and continuing our march to the BCSNC. That team would not be denied.

From an outsider perspective, I'd have to say 13. So much was riding on that game. Bama on a seemingly unstoppable march to the threepeat. Both top 5. SECCG berth and a shot at the national title (possible for Auburn, we had to get some outside help to make it) on the line. I know that one stung for you guys, but from a neutral standpoint, it would have been hard not to love that one.
Great perspective (not my favorite of course) but definitely good to see you on the boards, man ;-)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Things have to break just right for it to happen, so I wouldn’t expect a recurrence any time soon. But yeah, I’d take a loss to Auburn any day, if the season ended with a championship ring.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Very few, if any other, QBs have been sacked on their own 12 yard line, called their final time out with 38 seconds, and then, down by a point, picked themselves up and went and won the football game.

I hear Alabama fans tell me time after time that winning the Auburn game is not nearly as important as winning a championship. Well, here is the only example of Alabama losing the Auburn game, which allowed you to win a national championship that you otherwise would likely not have won.

Beating Auburn is great. I get it. But this was better than any win over Auburn in a non-championship year.
Had to stop myself from throwing up because it’s very possible you are right.

The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.