FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So your answer is to physically assault anyone who is outspoken to your wife even if your wife is in the wrong?
Yes, but I’m going to knock that coward out and finish the situation where he doesn’t have a chance to shoot me because he was “ in fear of his life”.

Plain and simple the guy is either a coward or was looking to hunt a human being. This was murder.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If killing someone is going to have this many excuses then you better start requiring a heck of a lot more training to own a gun.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Bazza if the guy never starts trouble by allegedly yelling at people he’s never in the situation where he fears supposedly for his life. Maybe the education starts with people like him on how to avoid shooting and killing fathers of little children.
That would be a great idea too, NT17.

The more we get away from the "one side blaming the other and nothing gets done" thing the better.

Let's have some Public Service Announcements - instead of a bunch of people punching stuff on their keyboards and nothing ever changes.

I don't think it would totally prevent future incidents - the stupidity factor in people will always remain - but we might get through to some - who knows.....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
you are quite being quite special today. and i doubt i would physically assault someone, that's not who i am, but yes i support and stand up for my wife regardless.
That's good to hear - I didn't think you would physically assault someone either. Nor would anyone here. This is an important aspect of the incident.

Physical assault is generally not a proper response to verbal assault.

I mentioned this a couple days back using the scenario when some rival fan mouths off - just point to the scoreboard. You have won the battle and you did it because you were the better man. Not because you were the school yard bully.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That would be a great idea too, NT17.

The more we get away from the "one side blaming the other and nothing gets done" thing the better.

Let's have some Public Service Announcements - instead of a bunch of people punching stuff on their keyboards and nothing ever changes.

I don't think it would totally prevent future incidents - the stupidity factor in people will always remain - but we might get through to some - who knows.....
and/or we could keep people who can't practice self control from carrying guns in public.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Yes, but I’m going to knock that coward out and finish the situation where he doesn’t have a chance to shoot me because he was “ in fear of his life”.

Plain and simple the guy is either a coward or was looking to hunt a human being. This was murder.
You're having dinner at a nice restaurant and you go to the restroom. Your wife passes gas...and it's a real nasty one...loud and looooong....and smelly.

The guy at the table next to you (who is clearly sticking his nose into something he shouldn't) starts yelling at your wife. Lecturing her about what foods she should be eating....perhaps making suggestions about certain medications that can be taken to mitigate gaseous discharges....or suggesting she go to some place not occupied by other guests if she feels one coming on....you know...irritating stuff like that.

You come back from the restroom......and witness this.

You're sayin' you're going to go all Denzel on him? :p

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Nor am I - but that doesn't mean my reaction isn't an escalation or an invitation of the use of force.
If I were to react to a situation like this I know full well beforehand that I might end up dead, or at the very least, in jail. I make that choice and live (or die) with the consequences.
But we can't equate verbal assault with physical assault.
The problem is that we don't know what was said, or how it was said. If the guy was yelling at the victim's wife, cussing her out, and when the victim came out he hears those words and sees his wife with a panicky look on her face...well I don't think many of us would stroll up and say "I say, old bean, what seems to be rustling your jimmies?"

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The problem is that we don't know what was said, or how it was said. If the guy was yelling at the victim's wife, cussing her out, and when the victim came out he hears those words and sees his wife with a panicky look on her face...well I don't think many of us would stroll up and say "I say, old bean, what seems to be rustling your jimmies?"
The question now is......knowing anyone could be carrying....and as such is capable of shooting you at the slightest disturbance.....do you want to take that chance?

With your children present?

Escalate...or diffuse.

There's a fork in the road.....which way do you go?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Again, I've said above that I need more info before I can decide how I feel about it - the video tape (with no sound) makes it appear one way, but with all the data, it could paint a very different picture.

And regardless as to how we would or wouldn't react, the reality is the boyfriend was the one that escalated it to physical violence - up until that point, you had a woman who couldn't care less about other people and a dude that thinks it's his job to police other people instead of minding his business. Nothing from the video shows either of them doing anything that would cause the police to arrest them. When the boyfriend arrives, he immediately brings physical violence - the first obviously arrest-able offense - to the situation.

I'm not blaming anyone, yet. I'm not passing judgement, either. I'm simply saying that I don't know if the man should be charged with manslaughter or not, because we have little to go on.

As I've said above, I'd likely have responded in a similar manner - but I know (and have known) that escalating an argument to violence is adding a very unpredictable layer to the equation. One-punch killings aren't common, but they're not rare, either.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The question now is......knowing anyone could be carrying....and as such is capable of shooting you at the slightest disturbance.....do you want to take that chance?

Escalate...or diffuse.

Maybe the topic should be about how if you're not law enforcement you need to stop trying to police minor crimes. It seems to me a lot of negative situations are caused by this.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Maybe the topic should be about how if you're not in law enforcement you need to stop trying to police minor crimes. It seems to me a lot of negative situations are caused by this.
I agree. That would certainly be a good topic also.

Without justifying the old guy's behaviour.....there are a lot of people in our society that really get riled up when someone infringes on the handicapped.

That was the old guy's cause. Maybe he has a mother who is handicapped....or a daughter...or a brother....we don't know.

Call it a "minor crime" but it's one that can also be very personal.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Trying to bring this back to the legal aspect again, in Alabama, words can never, ever justify deadly force. Apparently this is no longer true in FL. Those living there would be wise to be governed by that...

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Escalate...or diffuse.
If I think the guy poses a threat to my wife (and, since you brought them up, my kids), I'm going to get him away from my wife. Besides, if I'm in Florida, the guy will be able to get away with killing me no matter what I do. "His command of the English language made me fear for my life, officer!" "OK, go on your way."

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Late to the discussion but I'm just blown away here.

I can't even fathom how this guy won't be charged with Murder??

Since when is being pushed/shoved down equal grounds for lethal deadly force being used in retaliation???

I feel like I've entered the twilight zone watching the events, reading about the lead-up and aftermath of the events, and some people actually trying to defend the shooter in ANY way.

The shooter is a cowardly wussy if I've ever seen one. He's also a Murderer no matter what FLA's laws say. This is just crazy!!!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Escalate...or diffuse.

i'm not really interested in letting a bunch of jerk offs dictate interactions in our society just because they are armed and won't get in legal trouble because they are able to say "they felt threatened" if confronted while acting like a jerk off.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Wasn't referring to you. I have no problem discussing race when it's applicable but IMO it had no bearing in this situation. I watched the video and had no idea of the race of either party because of the low quality video.

The aggressor was the man who carried out the physical assault. Before that assault it was just an exchange of words which happens all the time. I think we've all had situations where someone speaks to us or our family disrespectfully or in a rude manner but we don't go around assaulting everyone who does that. Call the police or just walk away. Same could be said for the shooter but I can understand why he was in fear after being physically assaulted..
While true, at what point is it appropriate for someone to run up physically assault another because of what they're saying to a third party?

I've said this many times - I don't think physical assaults are the appropriate response to verbal assaults.

Keep in mind I might well respond just as the shooting victim did in a similar situation (though my wife wouldn't be self-absorbed enough to park in a handicapped parking spot in the first place) - but I also know that I would be the one escalating the situation at that point.
I'll just take both of these together.

I get what you are saying and agree that you can't simply go around shoving anyone who does something to anger you and that it was an escalation of tensions, if you will.

My point was more toward making a point about the education angle mentioned by Bazza. If the shooter does not engage in hostilities of any kind the event doesn't happen.

It's akin to "with great power comes great responsibility". He did not exercise sufficient caution in my book. So perhaps all people who carry should be required to undergo training that includes avoiding conflict rather than some people that in this case happened to be black undergoing training for how to be good little boys when others are acting aggressively toward their family. I'll even say that maybe everyone should think long and hard about the issue and ask themselves if getting shot and killed or killing another is worth it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.