FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'll also add that if someone is younger and larger in size than others......that person should understand that with youth and size comes great responsibility.

Just like those who carry.

Both - when they abuse their power - create friction and conflict.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I'll also add that if someone is younger and larger in size than others......that person should understand that with youth and size comes great responsibility.

Oh, come on, man. Not the same at all. Old man should be wiser and carrying a weapon carries with it responsibility to act differently than you would without it - perhaps even more cautious. At this point it really doesn't matter what I say or what the guy did. He will be defended by you. There's no point in engaging further.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's akin to "with great power comes great responsibility". He did not exercise sufficient caution in my book. So perhaps all people who carry should be required to undergo training that includes avoiding conflict rather than some people that in this case happened to be black undergoing training for how to be good little boys when others are acting aggressively toward their family. I'll even say that maybe everyone should think long and hard about the issue and ask themselves if getting shot and killed or killing another is worth it.
I agree completely. In fact, in some of the classes I've taken throughout the years they implored us to understand that we cannot escalate situations out of emotion if we're carrying. I know I've avoided allowing my emotions to spin out of control on several occasions because I was carrying - it's far easier and safer to just let things slide 99.99% of the time.

I'll say it again - the video looks like manslaughter at the minimum to me. But without knowing all the details passing judgement is foolish.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Oh, come on, man. Not the same at all. Old man should be wiser and carrying a weapon carries with it responsibility to act differently than you would without it - perhaps even more cautious. At this point it really doesn't matter what I say or what the guy did. He will be defended by you. There's no point in engaging further.
The actor Dan Blocker...."Hoss" on "Bonanza". Watched the show as a little kid. Learned that when you are a large person, it's important to measure your emotions.

What/who is today's equivalent on TV?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Yah, but if the if the older guy was worried about being targeted due to his age, he would have been far better served by avoiding conflict in the first place. He started the entire situation because he couldn't just let it go that she was in a handicapped parking spot.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Yah, but if the if the older guy was worried about being targeted due to his age, he would have been far better served by avoiding conflict in the first place. He started the entire situation because he couldn't just let it go that she was in a handicapped parking spot.
I like your and National's point about the shooter understanding that since he is carrying - he needs to be careful not to instigate conflict. Glad to hear this is being stressed during weapon handling classes.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The actor Dan Blocker...."Hoss" on "Bonanza". Watched the show as a little kid. Learned that when you are a large person, it's important to measure your emotions.

What/who is today's equivalent on TV?
I have to add to my post that the parents really have the most responsibility in teaching their kids not to be a bully or take advantage of others just because you are larger or have a weapon.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Trying to bring this back to the legal aspect again, in Alabama, words can never, ever justify deadly force. Apparently this is no longer true in FL. Those living there would be wise to be governed by that...
Do you have an example of this in FL?

I've found one example in which a guy was threatened and ended up shooting the person who threatened him. The person that threatened the guy followed the guy out of a McDonald's and when the person reached for his waistband, the guy pulled his gun and shot the person (some reports says he hit him in the arm; others said he missed). The person who was shot was unarmed and did not physically assault the shooter; felony charges against the shooter were dismissed under Stand Your Ground. I don't know if this is a good example because there may be more to it than just words, even verbal threats, because the person who was shot followed the shooter outside.

https://latest.com/2018/04/black-ma...-man-who-threatened-to-kill-him-at-mcdonalds/

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I like your and National's point about the shooter understanding that since he is carrying - he needs to be careful not to instigate conflict. Glad to hear this is being stressed during weapon handling classes.
One of the biggest points stressed during the concealed carry class I took. I'd feel this way (extra care to avoid conflict when carrying) even without the emphasis in class but it definitely reinforced the thought.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
and/or we could keep people who can't practice self control from carrying guns in public.
I'm FAR more worried about the lack of self control that causes people to think they can't drive 100 yards without that damned phone in their hands just tbh (not that I disagree with your point here).

I see this at virtually every red light and in more cars than not. Yesterday in my apartment parking lot, I nearly got sideswiped by a porcupine in his Mercedes who was on the damn phone, and the only reason I didn't is because I was taught years ago to assume every other driver on the road is an incompetent fool - and thus far, I've never been hit.

And now, back to the winner of the George Zimmerman Award......

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You'd be amazed at how many idiots don't know that you DON'T have to have a blue placard in your car to park there. If your license plate the letters "DV" on it here, it's called, "You can park there."

I ran into this years ago. I'm a DV, but since I get around well, I RARELY park there. If I do, it's virtually always because there's nowhere else to park (e.g. like Christmas shopping). I don't do it just to do it.

A few years back in my old apartment, I came out to my car and found it keyed by the fuel tank and a nasty note on it telling me what a jerk I was for parking there without a permit.

The fact this idiot didn't know the law didn't stop him from thinking he was Barney Fife, which is sort of 92's point here. And.....that was the only time in two years there I parked there and you wanna know why? Because there was nowhere else in the block to park!!

I don't like it, either, but just let it go for Pete's sake. It reminds me of Jesus telling the Pharisees how they tithed of stuff they didn't even have to but neglected the weightier matters of the law.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I may not have read every post.

The police department needs to bring charges of manslaughter. Let the jury decides if he was within his rights.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Do you have an example of this in FL?

I've found one example in which a guy was threatened and ended up shooting the person who threatened him. The person that threatened the guy followed the guy out of a McDonald's and when the person reached for his waistband, the guy pulled his gun and shot the person (some reports says he hit him in the arm; others said he missed). The person who was shot was unarmed and did not physically assault the shooter; felony charges against the shooter were dismissed under Stand Your Ground. I don't know if this is a good example because there may be more to it than just words, even verbal threats, because the person who was shot followed the shooter outside.

https://latest.com/2018/04/black-ma...-man-who-threatened-to-kill-him-at-mcdonalds/
Just Google "Florida stand your ground cases." It's scary. Florida is scary...

Well, I think I’m gonna end what I think with this. Keep your hands to yourself. Dude had no right to push the guy. 0... I do believe the shooter had a motive though and the black dude fell for it. You have to be smarter than that, but it’s whatever now. If he kept his hands to himself, he’s at home tonight.

It all stems from them (the woman) parking in the spot that was designated for handicap. She’ll have another man by the time y’all get done reading this and the guy is still dead for acting irrationally. Should he had died for his actions, no but he played the game and got the prize.

The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.