FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again - Page 2
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I don't even have to watch the video because of this here. The guy instigated and escalated the situation. He shouldn't fall under the protection of "Stand your ground" law.
    Effectively in the Injustice System an individual is effectively sentenced to death and immediately executed for a parking violation by an individual who had absolutely no authority in the matter.

What should have been a momentary disagreement turns to murder by any definition but for a statute by a group of pin headed legislators who have provided a group of kooks the right to instigate an incident an end it with a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Here, he would be prosecuted and we have the SYG law...
    I know that if I were a jury member:

I would be severely biased by the knowledge of who got physical first.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Thoughts.......

If that's my girlfriend with my kids in the car and she's parked illegally....and some guy comes up and tells her she's parked illegally.....I'd want her to immediately move the car. You never know what kind of kook is carrying. It's one thing if she's by herself but when children are involved...their safety has to come first.

Not everyone puts their children first though - I realize that. You cannot control what other people do - but sometimes you can diffuse a situation. Neither of these two parents appeared to do that here.

The guy in the blue tee shirt may have been coming over to join in on the beating, until he sees the gun come out. Then he changes his mind very quickly.

I'm not absolving the shooter of anything - he should have just winged the guy in the leg or arm, etc.

In the video....does it look like the shooter hit his head on the curb or pavement? That may have had an effect on his thinking too.

Wish we had a transcript or audio of what all was said....
    Here's reality:

A black couple with a child parks in a handicap space. At this point we aren't sure if there is a handicap placard, but most are assuming there is not. A white man gets out of his vehicle and verbally engages the black woman, who at this point is alone. The black man comes and shoves the white man down. We do not know what was being said during this time or what threat the black man or woman felt from the man who left his vehicle to verbally engage. The white man then shoots the black man. White man claims "stand your ground". Black man dies and has no opportunity at all now. White man will avoid trial by claiming "stand your ground" unless DA decides otherwise. I do not know what would allow the DA to bring charges anyway, if anything.

Under what circumstances would the DA be able to bring charges?

How would you feel if the skin colors were reversed but everything else remained the same? Skin colors reversed but the man with the woman defending her (by shooting the original shooter)? Back to original skin colors and black man shoots white man?

Doesn't it seem that the deadly force was far out of proportion?

Is stand your ground leading to a wild west mentality?

Surely this law is one step too far in reaction to duty to retreat.

There are problems here regarding race.

The black man may have felt a threat and used the force he had to stop the perceived threat prior to being shot, but the white man is still not charged for being the aggressor.
    Last edited by NationalTitles17; July 23rd, 2018 at 08:35 AM.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Poor decision making by his father - just like his mother. Both had a responsibility to their children to diffuse the situation.

She could have moved her car (or not parked illegally in the first place ideally) and he could have been more civil when he approached the shooter.

Not absolving the shooter of anything but when you are a parent and you have your children with you - you have to put their safety and comfort first.
    What of the poor decision making by the man who got out of his vehicle to verbally engage a woman who is alone?

You aren't looking at the big picture.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Here's reality:

A black couple with a child parks in a handicap space. At this point we aren't sure if there is a handicap placard, but most are assuming there is not. A white man gets out of his vehicle and verbally engages the black woman, who at this point is alone. The black man comes and shoves the white man down. We do not know what was being said during this time or what threat the black man or woman felt from the man who left his vehicle to verbally engage. The white man then shoots the black man. White man claims "stand your ground". Black man dies and has no opportunity at all now. White man will avoid trial by claiming "stand your ground" unless DA decides otherwise. I do not know what would allow the DA to bring charges anyway, if anything.

Under what circumstances would the DA be able to bring charges?

How would you feel if the skin colors were reversed but everything else remained the same? Skin colors reversed but the man with the woman defending her?

Doesn't it seem that the deadly force was far out of proportion?

Is stand your ground leading to a wild west mentality?

Surely this law is one step too far in reaction to duty to retreat.

There are problems here regarding race.

The black man may have felt a threat and used the force he had to stop the perceived threat prior to being shot, but the white man is still not charged for being the aggressor.
    I didn't even watch the video or know the races of the parties involved and came to the conclusion the guy claiming SYG shouldn't be able to and should be prosecuted. I'm not sure what race has to do with this. Is there something in the link that leads you to believe the reason the shooter was granted SYG status was because he was white and the guy he shot was black? I'm trying to find the reason to bring race into this particular discussion.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American

You can't just shoot people. Dude should go to jail just like the guy who shot the thief who stole a bag of chips or whatever.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again

What kind of a man engages a woman with a small child aggressively regardless of other factors? Good grief. How was she a threat to him in any way? If Iím in that situation I react the same manner as the black man. Maybe not to that level of physical aggression and any boyfriend/husband worth their salt should too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide_21 View Post
    What kind of a man engages a woman with a small child aggressively regardless of other factors? Good grief. How was she a threat to him in any way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Someone looking for a confrontation. That's who.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

I didn't even watch the video or know the races of the parties involved and came to the conclusion the guy claiming SYG shouldn't be able to and should be prosecuted. I'm not sure what race has to do with this. Is there something in the link that leads you to believe the reason the shooter was granted SYG status was because he was white and the guy he shot was black? I'm trying to find the reason to bring race into this particular discussion.
    Because perception is reality, in a manner of speaking.

I am challenging the knee-jerk reaction some may have to the situation when they do see the races of the people involved.

Many black men are not able to carry due to our criminal justice system. This occurs more often in this group, often for nonviolent possession convictions. This leaves many without the ability to carry legally. Thus, they are at a "disadvantage" in the wild west. Also, a black man with a gun may be perceived differently.

As much as we wish race didn't matter in a case like this, it does.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Because perception is reality, in a manner of speaking.

I am challenging the knee-jerk reaction some may have to the situation when they do see the races of the people involved.

Many black men are not able to carry due to our criminal justice system. This occurs more often in this group, often for nonviolent possession convictions. This leaves many without the ability to carry legally. Thus, they are at a "disadvantage" in the wild west. Also, a black man with a gun may be perceived differently.

As much as we wish race didn't matter in a case like this, it does.
    Gotcha, you're speaking to a broader issue.

Poor decision making by his father - just like his mother. Both had a responsibility to their children to diffuse the situation.

She could have moved her car (or not parked illegally in the first place ideally) and he could have been more civil when he approached the shooter.

Not absolving the shooter of anything but when you are a parent and you have your children with you - you have to put their safety and comfort first.
    are you being serious now?

you are doing nothing but trying to absolve the shooter.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Gotcha, you're speaking to a broader issue.
    Statistically, the black man is less likely to be legally armed.

Perception by the police and a potential jury matters greatly.

Perception matters in how the public reacts.

Perception matters and may help determine if a murderer walks free.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Someone looking for a confrontation. That's who.
    this is one of the reasons i favor much stricter laws for folks who want to carry weapons around in public.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon