FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again - Page 3
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Re: FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    are you being serious now?

you are doing nothing but trying to absolve the shooter.
    Black people have a duty to retreat. White people can be as aggressive as they wish and act with impunity. Not sure if blue font is needed.

ETA: Why aren't the black man's actions being regarded as "stand your ground" and the white man's as unlawful use of deadly force?

It seems either race is an issue in this OR last man standing wins every argument.

Either of those is a real problem.
    Last edited by NationalTitles17; July 23rd, 2018 at 09:04 AM.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Black people have a duty to retreat. White people can be aggressive as they wish and act with impunity. Not sure if blue font is needed.
    black people have a duty to not be inherently threatening. and they should probably enter all interactions with white folks with appropriate deference to avoid these types of situations.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

black people have a duty to not be inherently threatening. and they should probably enter all interactions with white folks with appropriate deference to avoid these types of situations.
    I know this should be in blue font, but that seems to be the sad reality.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I know that if I were a jury member:

I would be severely biased by the knowledge of who got physical first.
    You would be directed as to what to consider by the judge. Florida is putting interpretations on the law that other states have not. The pusher actually backs away a step or so when he sees the gun. That would get him prosecuted in the states which are still applying the "reasonable man" test as opposed to the Florida subjective test. He would also probably be convicted here...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I don't even have to watch the video because of this here. The guy instigated and escalated the situation. He shouldn't fall under the protection of "Stand your ground" law.
    The law of unintended consequences. I think the spirit of the law is to protect the innocent. In this case, the guy started the argument, then couldn't handle it when he was about to get a beat down. He could have left the situation, or tried some way to mitigate the situation. No. He pulled a gun and killed a guy.

I used to have a Glock that I kept in a cloth gun bag under the seat of my truck. I always thought about how quickly a road rage situation could escalate into a shooting. And it does happen. This is a very similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    The law of unintended consequences. I think the spirit of the law is to protect the innocent. In this case, the guy started the argument, then couldn't handle it when he was about to get a beat down. He could have left the situation, or tried some way to mitigate the situation. No. He pulled a gun and killed a guy.

I used to have a Glock that I kept in a cloth gun bag under the seat of my truck. I always thought about how quickly a road rage situation could escalate into a shooting. And it does happen. This is a very similar situation.
    i don't think that he was even about to get a beat down (but i think it would have been somewhat justified had it happened). he could have easily stayed down and/or slunk back to his truck, but that wouldn't satisfy his ego.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-SEC

I was just attempting to put myself in the place of the parent of a young black man. What would we tell our child to do in such a moment? If he flees he may be shot for fleeing the scene. If he cowers in place and keeps his mouth shut he may be fortunate to survive the situation and only experience being roughed up and humiliated. If he reacts as a normal human would he may be executed on the spot.

When I see people begin to attempt, at a minimum, to rationalize or justify the completely unnecessary and unjustified murder of a man, I am repelled. I would ask them to attempt for one moment to live in the shoes of the victims family!

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

All parties most likely bear some moral responsibility, but I personally draw the line at physical violence, or the imminent threat of physical violence.
    Following someone, talking to them, asking them questions, even yelling at them etc. don't meet my criteria for justifying violent response.
    The way I see it, the one to initiate violence loses.

That said, if you intend to walk around armed, you have more than the usual duty of care to not provoke hostilities.

Without witnessing the event, it is hard to say who is actually the "aggressor" in this situation.
    Last edited by cbi1972; July 23rd, 2018 at 09:23 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post

I don't think "starting an argument" is an accurate description of what this man did. Walking up to a total stranger and screaming/yelling at them is an act of aggression that creates a very tense situation and generates emotions of fear which leads to tendencies of self defense in those being yelled at. This guy did much more than start an argument. He started a physical confrontation without throwing the first punch. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American bobstod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I don't think "starting an argument" is an accurate description of what this man did. Walking up to a total stranger and screaming/yelling at them is an act of aggression that creates a very tense situation and generates emotions of fear which leads to tendencies of self defense in those being yelled at. This guy did much more than start an argument. He started a physical confrontation without throwing the first punch. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
    Totally agree. There is a element in law called "last clear chance'. The shooter pulls the weapon, points it at the victim, who backs up a little, or if you will, stands still. The shooter has a choice. His gun has put an end to any threat. He can get up and walk away, while still protecting himself from any perceived violence; or he can choose to shoot the man in the heart. Guilty of murder.
    ALABAMA : Tradition ; Class ; A name to respect in College Football

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

this is one of the reasons i favor much stricter laws for folks who want to carry weapons around in public.
    Yep. You and I are definitely in agreement on this one. I know it's (I hate this phrase but can't find another one better) a "slippery slope" to start determining who can carry and who cannot that goes beyond non criminal things. But there are some people who have no business carrying a gun whose never even had a traffic violation. Carrying, heck, just owning a gun, comes with GREAT responsibility.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

That was murder, pure and simple.

If the guy doing the pushing hadn't backed up about 3-5 feet once he reached for the gun and instead advanced I might be a bit more agreeable with it being a stand your ground situation. But a person backs up, has his arms at his side, and then you hesitate for a few seconds before pulling the trigger? Murder.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I'm thinking the DA will push to prosecute. Maybe not murder but at least manslaughter.

I also see a wrongful death civil suit coming but the shooter may not have anything to go after.
    Last edited by day-day; July 23rd, 2018 at 02:42 PM.