FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Are these people wrong? (I believe the shooter was 46 - so technically not a senior citizen - although a young person might think he is ;)).

Just watched it in its entirety. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and someone with that happy of a trigger finger shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun. The guy was backing off and was no where near a threat to the shooter's life. Cuff him and stuff him Enos!!!!

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Just watched it in its entirety. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and someone with that happy of a trigger finger shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun. The guy was backing off and was no where near a threat to the shooter's life. Cuff him and stuff him Enos!!!!
The store owner said this guy has started trouble with people in the parking lot before. So like you said, this was someone looking for a confrontation.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
1st - dont park illegally in handicap spots
2nd - if you do, dont make things worse by arguing with someone who calls you out about it, You were wrong, move
3rd - dont walk up to someone and violently shove them down to the pavement
4th - dont shoot someone who appears to be backing up

The shooter severely over reacted. Whether race was involved or not is impossible to tell and we dont have audio to hear the exchange between the mother and the shooter. We also dont know what was said as father backed up a bit after shoving the guy to the ground. From the way I heard the Fla law explained on TV this morning I doubt the shooter will be charged. If I were the shooter however, I would be absolutely devastated with the results, legal or not.:frown:

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
Play stupid games....win stupid prizes.......
Speaking my mind about this comment would get me banned from this site. The man is a murderer in most any place else. He inserted himself into a situation, behaved aggressively toward a woman and kid, and then the boyfriend came out to defend them from the aggressor and got shot for it instead of that gigantic vagina attempting to leave. He was humiliated and killed a man. The stupid game was his. He won.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
That's my attitude as well. Guy backed off the moment he saw the gun. So at that point, the gun had done it's job. I'm hopeful that the DA will decide to prosecute; furthermore, I'd really like to see Florida revise the law.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
In this case....at least a conversation took place....no violence....everyone lived to fight another day.....

I suspect one big difference here is the girl realized she was wrong, backed down eventually and left. If the mother in the shooting video had simply said sorry and moved, the father would still be alive. However with no audio we can not tell how the shooting video became a heated verbal exchange that led to a physical confrontation.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I suspect one big difference here is the girl realized she was wrong, backed down eventually and left. If the mother in the shooting video had simply said sorry and moved, the father would still be alive. However with no audio we can not tell how the shooting video became a heated verbal exchange that led to a physical confrontation.
Agree 100%.

The girl in the shooting incident wouldn't even have to apologize though....she's under no obligation to do so. But in my opinion, her #1 concern/responsibility would be for her children - who were in the car at the time - and perhaps the other one who was inside with the father.

As I have stated here - this does not absolve the shooter.

Just another perspective that is not being discussed.

A parent's #1 responsibility is to protect their children. Period.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
2nd - if you do, dont make things worse by arguing with someone who calls you out about it, You were wrong, move

The shooter severely over reacted. Whether race was involved or not is impossible to tell and we dont have audio to hear the exchange between the mother and the shooter. We also dont know what was said as father backed up a bit after shoving the guy to the ground. From the way I heard the Fla law explained on TV this morning I doubt the shooter will be charged. If I were the shooter however, I would be absolutely devastated with the results, legal or not.:frown:
you really do get to the root of the problem :rolleye2:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
it's pretty sad trying to blame this on the lady in the car.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I may have been too obscure in my explanation of the Florida law. The SYG statute in Florida actually has a "reasonable man" standard like Alabama's. Here's the pertinent section:

[SIZE=-1]Deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.

Note the words "reasonably believes." For whatever reason, Florida has stretched the "reasonably" to scandalous lengths. One man was shot in the back of his head as he left the fight. No other state has construed the SYG laws as Florida has. Google "Florida stand your ground" cases, and you'll see what I mean...
[/SIZE]

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Great post and spot on....

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
If the mother in the shooting video had simply said sorry and moved, the father would still be alive.
I had someone pull up next to me a few months back in Alex City and tell me I needed to move my car because I was parked in a handicap spot. The thing was, I was next to a handicap spot but not in the handicap spot. But being questioned on it at all caused me a about a minute of pure confusion on why these people were even talking to me in the first place.

Because I didn't simply say sorry and move doesn't mean that it would have been my fault if that lead to someone being shot.

The man in this video is not a traffic cop. If he wanted to say something and then move on then fine, but he has no business standing there harassing someone.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.