FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again - Page 4
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Re: FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again

Here is a good summary of Alabama law, with the 2013 amendment clarifying it. As you can see, the shooter would be in a world of hurt here:

• About to use unlawful deadly physical force.
    • A burglar about to use physical force.
    • Engaged in kidnapping, assault, robbery, or rape.
    • Unlawfully and forcefully entering a home or car, or attempting to remove a person against their will. (There are exceptions for people who used to live there and are under no injunctions or domestic protection orders.)
    • Breaking into a nuclear power plant.

Gun rights and gun violence: The story so far
    Follow and interact with reporting as it happens at AL.com/investigates

2013 addition by Alabama Legislature
    A person is also justified in the use of deadly force against someone who is "using or about to use physical force against an owner, employee, or other person authorized to be on business property when the business is closed to the public while committing or attempting to commit a crime involving death, serious physical injury, robbery, kidnapping, rape, sodomy, or a crime of a sexual nature involving a child under the age of 12.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Are these people wrong? (I believe the shooter was 46 - so technically not a senior citizen - although a young person might think he is ).

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Are these people wrong? (I believe the shooter was 46 - so technically not a senior citizen - although a young person might think he is ).
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Just watched it in its entirety. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and someone with that happy of a trigger finger shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun. The guy was backing off and was no where near a threat to the shooter's life. Cuff him and stuff him Enos!!!!
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Just watched it in its entirety. He should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and someone with that happy of a trigger finger shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun. The guy was backing off and was no where near a threat to the shooter's life. Cuff him and stuff him Enos!!!!
    The store owner said this guy has started trouble with people in the parking lot before. So like you said, this was someone looking for a confrontation.

1st - dont park illegally in handicap spots
    2nd - if you do, dont make things worse by arguing with someone who calls you out about it, You were wrong, move
    3rd - dont walk up to someone and violently shove them down to the pavement
    4th - dont shoot someone who appears to be backing up

The shooter severely over reacted. Whether race was involved or not is impossible to tell and we dont have audio to hear the exchange between the mother and the shooter. We also dont know what was said as father backed up a bit after shoving the guy to the ground. From the way I heard the Fla law explained on TV this morning I doubt the shooter will be charged. If I were the shooter however, I would be absolutely devastated with the results, legal or not.

BamaNation Second Team

Play stupid games....win stupid prizes.......
    Speaking my mind about this comment would get me banned from this site. The man is a murderer in most any place else. He inserted himself into a situation, behaved aggressively toward a woman and kid, and then the boyfriend came out to defend them from the aggressor and got shot for it instead of that gigantic vagina attempting to leave. He was humiliated and killed a man. The stupid game was his. He won.

In this case....at least a conversation took place....no violence....everyone lived to fight another day.....

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    That's my attitude as well. Guy backed off the moment he saw the gun. So at that point, the gun had done it's job. I'm hopeful that the DA will decide to prosecute; furthermore, I'd really like to see Florida revise the law.
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    That's my attitude as well. Guy backed off the moment he saw the gun. So at that point, the gun had done it's job. I'm hopeful that the DA will decide to prosecute; furthermore, I'd really like to see Florida revise the law.
    Exactly. It's a Stand Your Ground law, not "I Can Shoot You If I Escalate A Situation And Stand To Get My #$@ Beat" Law.

In this case....at least a conversation took place....no violence....everyone lived to fight another day.....

I suspect one big difference here is the girl realized she was wrong, backed down eventually and left. If the mother in the shooting video had simply said sorry and moved, the father would still be alive. However with no audio we can not tell how the shooting video became a heated verbal exchange that led to a physical confrontation.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    The store owner said this guy has started trouble with people in the parking lot before. So like you said, this was someone looking for a confrontation.
    he has to justify the expensive penis extension he carries around all of the time.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    I suspect one big difference here is the girl realized she was wrong, backed down eventually and left. If the mother in the shooting video had simply said sorry and moved, the father would still be alive. However with no audio we can not tell how the shooting video became a heated verbal exchange that led to a physical confrontation.
    Agree 100%.

The girl in the shooting incident wouldn't even have to apologize though....she's under no obligation to do so. But in my opinion, her #1 concern/responsibility would be for her children - who were in the car at the time - and perhaps the other one who was inside with the father.

As I have stated here - this does not absolve the shooter.

Just another perspective that is not being discussed.

A parent's #1 responsibility is to protect their children. Period.