FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
True and that was not my intent. Simply stating the overlooked obvious, it started there and for various (unknown yet) reasons escalated quickly.
with all due respect, the "overlooked obvious" is being "overlooked" for a reason. it doesn't matter. this guy created the situation (and this is apparently not a new thing for him), escalated it, someone pushed back, then he used deadly force to get himself out of it.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
True and that was not my intent. Simply stating the overlooked obvious, it started there and for various (unknown yet) reasons escalated quickly.
Looking at the big picture (again)....there are people in society who when given a choice....choose to escalate rather than diffuse.

It really says a lot abut someone's personality and demeanor.
Life is all about choices.....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
the blame for the death lies solely with the shooter.
Legally, this is correct. Trying to bring in factors like where the car was parked, the wife's reaction, etc., are engaging in "but for" thinking, which can be carried to illogical extremes, rather than proximate causation...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Looking at the big picture (again)....there are people in society who when given a choice....choose to escalate rather than diffuse.

It really says a lot abut someone's personality and demeanor.
Life is all about choices.....
so you are now going to lecture us on the personality and demeanor of the lady in the car and the guy who tried to defend her?

part of being a responsible gun owner is not escalating dumb crap like this while you are carrying

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
so you are now going to lecture us on the personality and demeanor of the lady in the car and the guy who tried to defend her?

part of being a responsible gun owner is not escalating dumb crap like this while you are carrying
I was talking about how some people seem to enjoy conflict - and thus are those who tend to escalate.

Others tend to pick and choose their battles. In most cases they defer to 'cooler heads prevail' type of thought pattern.

Say some rival fan ridicules the Crimson Tide football team. Do you:

1. Get all up in their grill?

2. Point to the scoreboard?

I like option #2

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
with all due respect, the "overlooked obvious" is being "overlooked" for a reason. it doesn't matter. this guy created the situation (and this is apparently not a new thing for him), escalated it, someone pushed back, then he used deadly force to get himself out of it.
To you earlier post about expensive penis enlargement tool: If he did not possess a deadly weapon he may simply have said "you shouldn't have parked in the handicapped spot" She might have replied "Sorry my husband / boy friend will be right out" and it would have ended right there. Instead he felt empowered to be abusive and then use deadly force when the man responded to his belligerence. This creates such a very dangerous environment from those who feel somehow empowered and seek out circumstances that would allow them to demonstrate their newly gained manhood!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I was talking about how some people seem to enjoy conflict - and thus are those who tend to escalate.

Others tend to pick and choose their battles. In most cases they defer to 'cooler heads prevail' type of thought pattern.

Say some rival fan ridicules the Crimson Tide football team. Do you:

1. Get all up in their grill?

2. Point to the scoreboard?

I like option #2
right

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Illegal parking in handicapped spots is a pretty big deal with many folks......if you've ever been disabled...I expect you would have a unique perspective.

Personally...I always park as far away as possible from any business entrance. More than anything I look for shade!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Two lessons here:
1- anyone who is that fearful shouldn't be carrying a firearm. I'm a big proponent of 2A, but this is ridiculous - if the man is that big of a 'pansy' that he's in fear for his life because someone shoved him (and wasn't even continuing to attack him), he's no man.
2- don't put your hands on someone without expecting retaliation. There are 'pansies' like I mentioned above as well as unstable people - neither of those are going to respond normally to getting shoved, grabbed, etc. The 'pansy' night have been yelling at the guy's girlfriend, but nothing about his body language was threatening, so shoving him was unnecessary escalation.

The shooter should not have shot the guy from what I can see, but I also cannot see anything that makes me think the boyfriend had any reason to lay his hands on the man.

Such an easily avoidable situation...

Last edited:

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
No matter your position, this is sad and unnecessary. Prior to any confrontation the shooter had the option to mind his own business. She parked illegally and I get that but there are people being paid to enforce the law and he did not appear to be in that camp. Even if someone is breaking a traffic law there it isn't a good idea for a man to confront a lady in a rude manner. At least that's how I was raised.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
No matter your position, this is sad and unnecessary. Prior to any confrontation the shooter had the option to mind his own business. She parked illegally and I get that but there are people being paid to enforce the law and he did not appear to be in that camp. Even if someone is breaking a traffic law there it isn't a good idea for a man to confront a lady in a rude manner. At least that's how I was raised.
Couldn't agree more......

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
There was no sound in the video but you could tell by the other patrons' reaction the guy was yelling. Two of the patrons who pulled up toward the security camera immediately turned their heads that direction when exiting their car. That tells me the guy was yelling. You start yelling at someone's wife and I'm sorry. You're basically holding up a sign that reads "PUNCH MY LIGHTS OUT!!!". One reaction would have never occurred if it weren't for another person's actions. Did the deceased do the "right thing"? Probably not, but the rules drastically change when you start screaming at another man's wife. Much like when you start messing with someone's child. Protective instincts start to kick in. There's no way the distribution of responsibility is equal in this situation. Not even close.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I couldn't really tell the race of either man from the video and really don't care.

Not a fan of people who park in handicapped spots without a sticker but I'm not one to get worked up over it. Yes, it is wrong, but there are bigger problems in the world for me to worry about. (Will Jalen or Tua start the first game is one such concern of mine).

Unless that guy had a handicapped person with him and every other spot was full, he needed to butt out.

The victim was defending his girlfriend from being yelled at.

I agree the guy should be charged with something. Not murder, as this wasn't planned, but at least manslaughter.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I couldn't really tell the race of either man from the video and really don't care.

Not a fan of people who park in handicapped spots without a sticker but I'm not one to get worked up over it. Yes, it is wrong, but there are bigger problems in the world for me to worry about. (Will Jalen or Tua start the first game is one such concern of mine).

Unless that guy had a handicapped person with him and every other spot was full, he needed to butt out.

The victim was defending his girlfriend from being yelled at.

I agree the guy should be charged with something. Not murder, as this wasn't planned, but at least manslaughter.
If he actually were charged with murder I would have no problem with it. As fast as the guy pulled his gun then fired considering the now deceased was obviously retreating and no longer posed a threat to him. I don't even think you'd need a good lawyer to make a strong case for murder. But I'm not sure of the laws in Florida. By the comments of some on here who seem to have read the law. The person claiming SYG has A LOT of leeway afforded to them. This is tragic on so many levels.

Last edited:

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
It’s a good thing we have some people focusing on the really important things like how much of a jerk that lady was to park in the handicapped spot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.