FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again - Page 5
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Re: FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    1st - dont park illegally in handicap spots
    2nd - if you do, dont make things worse by arguing with someone who calls you out about it, You were wrong, move
    3rd - dont walk up to someone and violently shove them down to the pavement
    4th - dont shoot someone who appears to be backing up

The shooter severely over reacted. Whether race was involved or not is impossible to tell and we dont have audio to hear the exchange between the mother and the shooter. We also dont know what was said as father backed up a bit after shoving the guy to the ground. From the way I heard the Fla law explained on TV this morning I doubt the shooter will be charged. If I were the shooter however, I would be absolutely devastated with the results, legal or not.
    you really do get to the root of the problem
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

I suspect one big difference here is the girl realized she was wrong, backed down eventually and left. If the mother in the shooting video had simply said sorry and moved, the father would still be alive. However with no audio we can not tell how the shooting video became a heated verbal exchange that led to a physical confrontation.
    it's pretty sad trying to blame this on the lady in the car.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

I may have been too obscure in my explanation of the Florida law. The SYG statute in Florida actually has a "reasonable man" standard like Alabama's. Here's the pertinent section:

Deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.

Note the words "reasonably believes." For whatever reason, Florida has stretched the "reasonably" to scandalous lengths. One man was shot in the back of his head as he left the fight. No other state has construed the SYG laws as Florida has. Google "Florida stand your ground" cases, and you'll see what I mean...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

1st - dont park illegally in handicap spots
    2nd - if you do, dont make things worse by arguing with someone who calls you out about it, You were wrong, move
    3rd - dont walk up to someone and violently shove them down to the pavement
    4th - dont shoot someone who appears to be backing up

The shooter severely over reacted. Whether race was involved or not is impossible to tell and we dont have audio to hear the exchange between the mother and the shooter. We also dont know what was said as father backed up a bit after shoving the guy to the ground. From the way I heard the Fla law explained on TV this morning I doubt the shooter will be charged. If I were the shooter however, I would be absolutely devastated with the results, legal or not.
    Great post and spot on....

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    I agree....plenty of blame to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I agree....plenty of blame to go around.
    the blame for the death lies solely with the shooter.

- George Orwell

Thomas Pynchon

True and that was not my intent. Simply stating the overlooked obvious, it started there and for various (unknown yet) reasons escalated quickly.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

If the mother in the shooting video had simply said sorry and moved, the father would still be alive.
    I had someone pull up next to me a few months back in Alex City and tell me I needed to move my car because I was parked in a handicap spot. The thing was, I was next to a handicap spot but not in the handicap spot. But being questioned on it at all caused me a about a minute of pure confusion on why these people were even talking to me in the first place.

Because I didn't simply say sorry and move doesn't mean that it would have been my fault if that lead to someone being shot.

The man in this video is not a traffic cop. If he wanted to say something and then move on then fine, but he has no business standing there harassing someone.
    Last edited by MattinBama; July 23rd, 2018 at 02:27 PM.

True and that was not my intent. Simply stating the overlooked obvious, it started there and for various (unknown yet) reasons escalated quickly.
    with all due respect, the "overlooked obvious" is being "overlooked" for a reason. it doesn't matter. this guy created the situation (and this is apparently not a new thing for him), escalated it, someone pushed back, then he used deadly force to get himself out of it.

- George Orwell

Thomas Pynchon

Looking at the big picture (again)....there are people in society who when given a choice....choose to escalate rather than diffuse.

It really says a lot abut someone's personality and demeanor.
    Life is all about choices.....

There are 2 separate thread lines here that are getting blurred. The legal and the moral.

the blame for the death lies solely with the shooter.
    Legally, this is correct. Trying to bring in factors like where the car was parked, the wife's reaction, etc., are engaging in "but for" thinking, which can be carried to illogical extremes, rather than proximate causation...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Looking at the big picture (again)....there are people in society who when given a choice....choose to escalate rather than diffuse.

It really says a lot abut someone's personality and demeanor.
    Life is all about choices.....
    so you are now going to lecture us on the personality and demeanor of the lady in the car and the guy who tried to defend her?

part of being a responsible gun owner is not escalating dumb crap like this while you are carrying

- George Orwell

Thomas Pynchon