FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again - Page 8
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again

Quote Originally Posted by JBama3 View Post
    Totally different here. She responded like she did. I知 ok with her reaction. I知 not cool with either reaction here.

The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah, the waitress was physically assaulted first. Now if she had pulled a gun...

Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    Yeah, the waitress was physically assaulted first. Now if she had pulled a gun...
    While true, I would still have the mixed feelings I have now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Per news reports tonight the shooter probably wont face charges.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Totally different here. She responded like she did. I知 ok with her reaction. I知 not cool with either reaction here.

The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I was joking when I said he should have shot her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

And, the lady was a jerk if illegally parking in a handi-cap spot.
    Which is obviously the important issue here

I need more information.
    Me too, Jay......

Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I was joking when I said he should have shot her.

I know you were. It痴 just a sad situation which I know you were trying to make light of thing, at least I think you were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Seems like the Stand Your Ground Law may not come into play but the wording above would. The shooter did not get the opportunity to stand or not stand his ground as he was blind-sided. He did have the opportunity to realize that he was not in danger of imminent death or great bodily harm to himself.

I still think and hope the DA will charge even though I'm thinking it would be something like manslaughter. There was some aspect of fear, excitement, adrenaline, etc. that could figure into the shooter's reaction due to being struck so hard and being knocked off of his feet. I think taking this into account along with being struck first would take away the chance at 1st degree and 2nd degree murder.

And, the lady was a jerk if illegally parking in a handi-cap spot.
    Oh yes it does, very much so. All other states also have the "reasonable" test. I think most here would agree the shooter had no reason to think he was in immediate danger of death or immediate great physical harm, with an opponent who was backing up when shot. Florida has basically decided to ignore the "reasonable" aspect and focus on how the shooter, in this case, subjectively felt. That's the reason I said he would be prosecuted here but probably not in Florida...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

的 would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Oh yes it does, very much so. All other states also have the "reasonable" test. I think most here would agree the shooter had no reason to think he was in immediate danger of death or immediate great physical harm, with an opponent who was backing up when shot. Florida has basically decided to ignore the "reasonable" aspect and focus on how the shooter, in this case, subjectively felt. That's the reason I said he would be prosecuted here but probably not in Florida...
    in Florida, a shooter claiming stand your ground is effectively the same as an LEO--"I honestly thought my life was in danger" is the equivalent of a get out of jail free card.
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    in Florida, a shooter claiming stand your ground is effectively the same as an LEO--"I honestly thought my life was in danger" is the equivalent of a get out of jail free card.
    And the burden of proof falls on the prosecution to prove otherwise. This is what happens when Republitards go full Republitard.

BamaNation Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    TIDE-HSV, would shooting someone that is backing up be equivalent to shooting someone in the back? Legally? I would define both as "fleeing," but that is just an opinion. Is it defined in a legal sense?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

If this was a white guy shooting a black guy, get ready for this to go crazy for the next couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleCountry View Post
    TIDE-HSV, would shooting someone that is backing up be equivalent to shooting someone in the back? Legally? I would define both as "fleeing," but that is just an opinion. Is it defined in a legal sense?
    What they're practicing has nothing to do with what's in the statute about "reasonably." What's actually happening on the ground in Florida is totally off the wall, like the rest of the state. One guy got off shooting another man in the back of the head...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

的 would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis