FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Absolutely. Words are exchanged in situations like this all the time but the escalation was the physical assault which led to gun being fired. Just the other day I was in the drive thru at Chik-Fil-A with my family. Car A had just ordered and had some more room where they could go forward in the line but didn't pull up all the way. Car B wasn't able to order yet because Car A didn't pull up as far as they could. Car B honked the horn, Car A rolled down the window and said who are you honking at? Car B then said I'm honking at you, pull up so I can order and Car A yelled back "you're such a redneck" and just sat there. Car A eventually pulled up but nobody got out of the car and assaulted anybody. To me, that was what really started the incident in FL because having words about parking illegally, pulling up in a drive thru or whatever happen all the time but when someone escalates it to physical violence it can go many different ways. It's tragic the way this turned out and could have been avoided by both parties but the physical assault is what really escalated it past everyday verbal exchanges..

Oh, and in my little story about Chik-Fil-A, both parties were white. I know that's of the utmost importance to some..
just speaking for myself, i found it more interesting that you spelled chick-fil-a incorrectly.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Oh, and in my little story about Chik-Fil-A, both parties were white. I know that's of the utmost importance to some..
What's of utmost importance to me is that you're from the Chik-Fil-A universe whereas I'm from the Chic-Fil-A universe.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Funny, how we can see such different sequences. I see one clear step backwards and then sort of a half step and the victim's assuming a defensive or alarmed posture. THEN, the gun goes off. Bottom line, this guy didn't have to shoot...
I'm not going to debate with anyone - you and everyone else is welcome to their perspective and opinion.

I agree....the guy that got shot was in the process of moving backwards when he was shot.

By that criteria alone - many will say the shooting was unnecessary and the shooter should be charged with some type of crime like murder or manslaughter.

I totally get that and am not saying they are wrong.

But there are other factors which could enter into the equation which might present some consideration.

Was the shooter dis-oriented and/or confused from his head banging down on the pavement?

Did he have an itchy trigger finger and maybe shot just a split second before he could process the attacker was moving backward and/or other mitigating factors? Remember this all happened very quickly....lot of adrenaline pumping I'm sure...

Did he somehow believe that the attacker might still be a threat - and this would be his only chance to avoid further physical abuse?

Did he feel with the attacker's woman getting out of her car along with the dude in the blue tee shirt all converging on him that this was soon to be a 3 on 1 situation....and it was now or never?

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong - and I may asking questions which have no purpose.

Chalk it up to the analytical side of me that prefers to study details and question human behaviour before making conclusions.

Nomex on...fire away.....:wink:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Absolutely. Words are exchanged in situations like this all the time but the escalation was the physical assault which led to gun being fired. Just the other day I was in the drive thru at Chik-Fil-A with my family. Car A had just ordered and had some more room where they could go forward in the line but didn't pull up all the way. Car B wasn't able to order yet because Car A didn't pull up as far as they could. Car B honked the horn, Car A rolled down the window and said who are you honking at? Car B then said I'm honking at you, pull up so I can order and Car A yelled back "you're such a redneck" and just sat there. Car A eventually pulled up but nobody got out of the car and assaulted anybody. To me, that was what really started the incident in FL because having words about parking illegally, pulling up in a drive thru or whatever happen all the time but when someone escalates it to physical violence it can go many different ways. It's tragic the way this turned out and could have been avoided by both parties but the physical assault is what really escalated it past everyday verbal exchanges..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The problem with the Florida SYG is that it gives an individual the cop “ I was in fear of my life” argument without objectionable reasonableness.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Like most of these cases, I'll wait to see / hear all the evidence before I decide what should happen. The video doesn't look like a self defense shooting to me, but there's no telling what the victim was saying to the shooter after he shoved him to the ground.

I've rushed to judgement far too many times only later to be proved wrong when all the evidence was presented to feel like just watching this video is enough for me to believe the man should be charged.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
There should be more education on how to avoid getting shot by someone claiming they are "standing their ground".

It happens so often......you would think people would be more careful about getting into confrontations.

Public Service Announcement: "Hello there...my name is Bazza...and I represent the ACLU. We want to remind everyone that in the state of Florida - they have this crazy law that gives persons the right to shoot you, should they feel their life is in danger. It could be a simple situation where you are breaking and entering and all of a sudden the property owner walks in on you. Or you get into a disagreement with someone - and all of a sudden violence ensues. We all know how easy it is to find yourself in situations like this. Please for the love of God....watch out for those people who might be armed (and dangerous). If you're going to get into it with someone - make sure they're not carrying!.

Run that spot every day during the evening news.....it could help!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
i could have mentioned the subtle implications inherent in your example of two white people behaving "properly", but i decided against it.
Actually, in my example the two white people were acting as trashy as possible. Seems like only someone with an agenda IRT race would think what you said..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
what agenda would that be?
Bringing race into every situation when it has no bearing. Most people who watched the video could not even tell the race of the parties involved yet somehow you make it about race..

black people have a duty to not be inherently threatening. and they should probably enter all interactions with white folks with appropriate deference to avoid these types of situations.
i just have to wonder what the reactions to this story would be if it was a black guy yelling at a white woman about being in the handicapped place and her white husband/father was shot after defending his girlfriend/wife
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.