FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again
Page 1 of 38 1234567811 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again

Click here

Here's the scenario:

Woman pulls into a handicapped space so her boyfriend can run into the store.

While he's in the store, someone comes up and starts yelling at her.

Boyfriend comes out, shoves the guy down.

Guy pulls out a gun (he had a concealed carry permit) and shoots boyfriend in the chest, killing him.

The police refused to arrest, citing the stand your ground law.

btw, there's video at the link.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Re: FL's Stand Your Ground Law Strikes Again

this is just monumentally stupid.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Play stupid games....win stupid prizes.......

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Click here

Here's the scenario:

Woman pulls into a handicapped space so her boyfriend can run into the store.

While he's in the store, someone comes up and starts yelling at her.

Boyfriend comes out, shoves the guy down.

Guy pulls out a gun (he had a concealed carry permit) and shoots boyfriend in the chest, killing him.

The police refused to arrest, citing the stand your ground law.

btw, there's video at the link.
    I don't even have to watch the video because of this here. The guy instigated and escalated the situation. He shouldn't fall under the protection of "Stand your ground" law.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Play stupid games....win stupid prizes.......
    who is playing the stupid games here?
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

There has to be something that makes sense somewhere between "duty to retreat (until you are like a cornered mouse)" and "stand (or expand in this case) your ground".

Who was the real aggressor here? Seems to me it was the shooter.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    There has to be something that makes sense somewhere between "duty to retreat (until you are like a cornered mouse)" and "stand (or expand in this case) your ground".

Who was the real aggressor here? Seems to me it was the shooter.
    that poor little 5 year old kid who had to watch his dad get shot and bleed out is going to have a hard time living with this.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

Thoughts.......

If that's my girlfriend with my kids in the car and she's parked illegally....and some guy comes up and tells her she's parked illegally.....I'd want her to immediately move the car. You never know what kind of kook is carrying. It's one thing if she's by herself but when children are involved...their safety has to come first.

Not everyone puts their children first though - I realize that. You cannot control what other people do - but sometimes you can diffuse a situation. Neither of these two parents appeared to do that here.

The guy in the blue tee shirt may have been coming over to join in on the beating, until he sees the gun come out. Then he changes his mind very quickly.

I'm not absolving the shooter of anything - he should have just winged the guy in the leg or arm, etc.

In the video....does it look like the shooter hit his head on the curb or pavement? That may have had an effect on his thinking too.

Wish we had a transcript or audio of what all was said....

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Thoughts.......

If that's my girlfriend with my kids in the car and she's parked illegally....and some guy comes up and tells her she's parked illegally.....I'd want her to immediately move the car. You never know what kind of kook is carrying. It's one thing if she's by herself but when children are involved...their safety has to come first.

Not everyone puts their children first though - I realize that. You cannot control what other people do - but sometimes you can diffuse a situation. Neither of these two parents appeared to do that here.

The guy in the blue tee shirt may have been coming over to join in on the beating, until he sees the gun come out. Then he changes his mind very quickly.

I'm not absolving the shooter of anything - he should have just winged the guy in the leg or arm, etc.

In the video....does it look like the shooter hit his head on the curb or pavement? That may have had an effect on his thinking too.

Wish we had a transcript or audio of what all was said....
    It is not his job to "police" parking laws or the violation of them. His responsibility should have been to keep walking either to his car or into the store. If he wanted to "help", he could have gone to the customer service desk of the store and reported that there were people parking in Handicapped zones without a permit. That's about it. At that point he should have went about his day.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Here, he would be prosecuted and we have the SYG law...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

ďI would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.Ē Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    that poor little 5 year old kid who had to watch his dad get shot and bleed out is going to have a hard time living with this.
    Poor decision making by his father - just like his mother. Both had a responsibility to their children to diffuse the situation.

She could have moved her car (or not parked illegally in the first place ideally) and he could have been more civil when he approached the shooter.

Not absolving the shooter of anything but when you are a parent and you have your children with you - you have to put their safety and comfort first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    It is not his job to "police" parking laws or the violation of them. His responsibility should have been to keep walking either to his car or into the store. If he wanted to "help", he could have gone to the customer service desk of the store and reported that there were people parking in Handicapped zones without a permit. That's about it. At that point he should have went about his day.
    I totally agree.

Obviously he was one of those people who couldn't help himself.

When those kind come near me - I try to get away as quickly as possible.