Link: Ravens HC John Harbaugh basically calling today's college players "soft".

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Ravens HC John Harbaugh basically calling today's college players "soft".

He is not wrong, but he also isn't right. Players today are much bigger, stronger and faster, and that doesn't come without a great deal of work. But less and less of that work is in the form of game practice. So practice is a lot more work for them than it was for those players who did a lot less off the field to prepare for the game, but a lot more on the field. But the players are still better today than they ever have been. They are not "soft" as much as they are just a different kind of hard.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Today's players are faster and stronger. There is no doubt about that; however, some of them do not seem to understand the game as well. They think it is all about speed, strength, and attitude. Furthermore, I doubt that many players today would go through a Junction type of camp for more than about one hour. They work hard and pay attention to nutrition, but they lack that "toughness" that some of the old school guys miss about the game. At least, that is what I think that they seem to miss.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Today's players are faster and stronger. There is no doubt about that; however, some of them do not seem to understand the game as well. They think it is all about speed, strength, and attitude. Furthermore, I doubt that many players today would go through a Junction type of camp for more than about one hour. They work hard and pay attention to nutrition, but they lack that "toughness" that some of the old school guys miss about the game. At least, that is what I think that they seem to miss.
A player's mindset has become more like that of a business owner. They see their body as their "business" and no longer are willing to "run through a brick wall" for an organization who will cut them loose like a bad habit if they get hurt. Deion Sanders was the first (I think) to verbally say this. When asked why he didn't go out of his way to tackle rb's coming out of the backfield he said "It's a business decision." LOL!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.