The Mandela Effect (Collective False Memories)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Governor Connally getting shot would seem to indicate he and his wife were there.

I have never quite understood people thinking Mandela died in the 1980s. He got out, won the Nobel Prize and became a rather prominent world figure. Maybe people confused him with Stephen Biko. (Who was murdered in 1977 but was the subject of a movie in 1987.

As for the others mentioned, I am guilty of some of them. Until today, I thought it was Chik-Fil-A. I travel for work and eat there a lot. I have always put Chik-Fil-A on my expense reports. Now I feel the need to go back and edit them.

I also went for years getting the name of the bear family wrong.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I actually have a group of friends that have a Mandela Effect about me. All of them remember me being at a Super Bowl party in 2008. All of them remember me being the only one rooting against the Pats. There is just one problem I was not there. My appendix ruptured the week before the Super Bowl. I was released only a few days before the Super Bowl was played. I was at home in my apartment, still drugged up. I watched the Super Bowl that year alone. They still swear I was there.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Governor Connally getting shot would seem to indicate he and his wife were there.

I have never quite understood people thinking Mandela died in the 1980s. He got out, won the Nobel Prize and became a rather prominent world figure. Maybe people confused him with Stephen Biko. (Who was murdered in 1977 but was the subject of a movie in 1987.

As for the others mentioned, I am guilty of some of them. Until today, I thought it was Chik-Fil-A. I travel for work and eat there a lot. I have always put Chik-Fil-A on my expense reports. Now I feel the need to go back and edit them.

I also went for years getting the name of the bear family wrong.
From what I've read the 4 in the car theory includes Governor Connally being in the front passenger seat but his wife not being in the car. There are replica cars in museums apparently that are just the 4 seater version. That's one that I'm not sure if I'm overthinking it or not. For some reason the image in my head has always been 2 in front, 2 in back. But in April I was at the museum in Dallas and don't recall being struck odd by anything at the time of seeing 6 in the car - I'm assuming I did see 6 because people have been talking about this since 2016 evidently although maybe I'm a more recent converter to the 6 person-verse, lol. The JFK thing was never even one that I thought about until seeing the post about it and then looking through other people talking about it.

The weirdest part is that so many people agree that they believe it was different at one point on so many different things. Which is main thing behind the whole theory really. In theory things like "I don't understand how people could possibly think that" is just because you don't have the same set of memories as they do because what you experienced may have been different. The Fruit of the Loom, Japan and New Zealand ones are my probably my strongest no way that I'm remembering wrong things.

The whole quantum sciences stuff gets pretty mind-bendy and strange anyway, but it's fun to think about and pick at. At least for me.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I thought Japan had to be close to Korea since they were always going to Tokyo on MASH for a three day pass. I figured it couldn’t be too far if it was that easy to get to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Last night I learned that Stouffer's Stove Top Stuffing never existed. That's another pretty confusing one for me.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Stouffer's is a frozen food company. Stove Top (hence the name) was not.... it was a dry goods boxed item
And yet thousands of people remember it specifically being Stouffer's Stove Top Stuffing and remember the commercials, etc. There are tons of references online to it in recipes and other things. It was always referenced that way by my family. Never as a Kraft product.

Stouffer's is not exclusively a frozen food company. They have done other things such as. https://www.amazon.com/Stouffers-Cooking-Creations-Seasoning-Variety/dp/B071F9LFG1

54 seconds-

My wife this morning after asking her what her grandmother used to make for Thanksgiving and then explaining that it never existed.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

You can see Governor Connelly in front of President Kennedy and Mrs. Connelly in front of the First Lady, driver and an agent riding shot gun. So there are 6 people in the car.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I just now saw this so, Matt, my apologies for the delay.

I'm so aware this happens the I'm VERY careful about things. The difference in me and others (in my experience) has been that I'm only dogmatic about what really was or did happen; I'm humble enough and knowledgeable enough to hedge if I'm not sure. I'm not 100% sure that I'm following the subject, though, so let me give what might be a parallel example:

Bill Buckner's error cost the Red Sox the 1986 World Series.

(Is this what you're sort of saying, er, the article?)

A lot of people don't realize that if Bill Buckner had made the play and gotten Mookie Wilson out, the Red Sox would NOT have won the World Series. The game was ALREADY TIED when Buckner made the error. If he had made the play, we would have just gone to the next inning. On top of that, the error was in game six, not game seven.

I once got into an argument - on the afternoon of September 21, 1996, in fact - with a guy who dogmatically insisted that Archie Manning won the Heisman at Ole Miss. None of us had an almanac, and the Net was in its infant stage at that point as far as civilian usage (I phones were pipe dreams). The discussion began because Florida was beating Tennessee that day, and Peyton was going to be rowing against the rapids the rest of the season. This dude said that Archie won the Heisman, and I snorted, "No, he didn't. For Pete's sake, I've lived in Mississippi for 14 years, you'd think I would know." So to make it easy, I asked him when Manning won it.

Him: "1970"
Me: "Jim Plunkett, he won it at Stanford and washed out of the NFL and then back in for the Raiders"
Him" "71 then"
Me: "That was Pat Sullivan, the Auburn quarterback."
Him: "Then it was 1969."
Me: "Steve Owens, 69 was the year Manning and Scott Hunter of Alabama had a shootout passing." Then - just for good measure - I went, "Beban, OJ, Owens, Plunkett, Sullivan, Rodgers, Cappelletti, Archie Griffin twice, Dorsett, Campbell, Billy Sims, Charles White, George Rogers, Marcus Allen, Herschel Walker, Rozier, Flutie, Bo Knows, Testaverde, Tim Brown. When did Archie win it?"

The guy flat out WOULD NOT admit he was wrong. All he did was get more petulant and angry. It wasn't a big thing, but geez!!

I'll admit to being an outlier. Every once in awhile, I pause to make sure I'm NOT conflating something - because I see well-meaning people do it.

Did you know people actually believe Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her house? But she never said any such thing. TINA FEY said that. (This has nothing to do with Palin's intelligence or lack thereof, I'm just using an example that's quite popular). Sarah Palin DID say - accurately, I might add - that you can see Russian land from some places on Alaska. But even well meaning people who liked and voted for her actually think she said that. (Al Gore's Internet invention is another one).

So here's something. In the spring of 2012, they administered a film study for us at the UCI lab via Skype. They gave us this nothing test to test our memory of words, and they spent a good hour or more with us clicking buttons. After getting us all lathered up (without booze even), they then sprung the REAL test on us. They insisted that there was a video of United 93 crashing that was only shown once on TV in 2001. They tried to persuade me that I had seen such a video, and I got pretty ticked at them. They pressed me with leading questions, trying to get me to describe the video of the crash. I told them the only thing I knew about was a scene I had recently watched in one of the "United 93" movies. They kept prodding and trying to get me to speculate. I kept saying I had never seen it, that I was in med school at the time, and I didn't know of any such video. They then told me to close my eyes and visualize it and (key words here) "describe what I saw on the video." I again reminded them I had seen no such video, but they had me close my eyes, and I started for about ten seconds. Then I stopped and said, "Look, I don't know anything about it, I've never heard of this, and all I'm doing is reciting the movie video." They told me to wait, so I did.

And then it came on, and it said the whole scenario was made up and was part of trying to see if false memories could be planted in those of us with HSAM. They DID fool one of the four of us on "60 Minutes" (but not me). The peer reviewed article DID find that planted memories could occur in HSAMers.

http://www.pnas.org/content/110/52/20947

I can only go off of myself. I simply say, "I don't know," on memory stuff.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

You can see Governor Connelly in front of President Kennedy and Mrs. Connelly in front of the First Lady, driver and an agent riding shot gun. So there are 6 people in the car.
The late Jean Hill, allegedly a star witness for conspiracy, said there was a white little dog between them. Then she said she was confused by the white roses, a truly amazing accomplishment given that the flowers Jackie had were red.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I just now saw this so, Matt, my apologies for the delay.

I'm so aware this happens the I'm VERY careful about things. The difference in me and others (in my experience) has been that I'm only dogmatic about what really was or did happen; I'm humble enough and knowledgeable enough to hedge if I'm not sure. I'm not 100% sure that I'm following the subject, though, so let me give what might be a parallel example:

Bill Buckner's error cost the Red Sox the 1986 World Series.

(Is this what you're sort of saying, er, the article?)

A lot of people don't realize that if Bill Buckner had made the play and gotten Mookie Wilson out, the Red Sox would NOT have won the World Series. The game was ALREADY TIED when Buckner made the error. If he had made the play, we would have just gone to the next inning. On top of that, the error was in game six, not game seven.

I once got into an argument - on the afternoon of September 21, 1996, in fact - with a guy who dogmatically insisted that Archie Manning won the Heisman at Ole Miss. None of us had an almanac, and the Net was in its infant stage at that point as far as civilian usage (I phones were pipe dreams). The discussion began because Florida was beating Tennessee that day, and Peyton was going to be rowing against the rapids the rest of the season. This dude said that Archie won the Heisman, and I snorted, "No, he didn't. For Pete's sake, I've lived in Mississippi for 14 years, you'd think I would know." So to make it easy, I asked him when Manning won it.

Him: "1970"
Me: "Jim Plunkett, he won it at Stanford and washed out of the NFL and then back in for the Raiders"
Him" "71 then"
Me: "That was Pat Sullivan, the Auburn quarterback."
Him: "Then it was 1969."
Me: "Steve Owens, 69 was the year Manning and Scott Hunter of Alabama had a shootout passing." Then - just for good measure - I went, "Beban, OJ, Owens, Plunkett, Sullivan, Rodgers, Cappelletti, Archie Griffin twice, Dorsett, Campbell, Billy Sims, Charles White, George Rogers, Marcus Allen, Herschel Walker, Rozier, Flutie, Bo Knows, Testaverde, Tim Brown. When did Archie win it?"

The guy flat out WOULD NOT admit he was wrong. All he did was get more petulant and angry. It wasn't a big thing, but geez!!

I'll admit to being an outlier. Every once in awhile, I pause to make sure I'm NOT conflating something - because I see well-meaning people do it.

Did you know people actually believe Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her house? But she never said any such thing. TINA FEY said that. (This has nothing to do with Palin's intelligence or lack thereof, I'm just using an example that's quite popular). Sarah Palin DID say - accurately, I might add - that you can see Russian land from some places on Alaska. But even well meaning people who liked and voted for her actually think she said that. (Al Gore's Internet invention is another one).

So here's something. In the spring of 2012, they administered a film study for us at the UCI lab via Skype. They gave us this nothing test to test our memory of words, and they spent a good hour or more with us clicking buttons. After getting us all lathered up (without booze even), they then sprung the REAL test on us. They insisted that there was a video of United 93 crashing that was only shown once on TV in 2001. They tried to persuade me that I had seen such a video, and I got pretty ticked at them. They pressed me with leading questions, trying to get me to describe the video of the crash. I told them the only thing I knew about was a scene I had recently watched in one of the "United 93" movies. They kept prodding and trying to get me to speculate. I kept saying I had never seen it, that I was in med school at the time, and I didn't know of any such video. They then told me to close my eyes and visualize it and (key words here) "describe what I saw on the video." I again reminded them I had seen no such video, but they had me close my eyes, and I started for about ten seconds. Then I stopped and said, "Look, I don't know anything about it, I've never heard of this, and all I'm doing is reciting the movie video." They told me to wait, so I did.

And then it came on, and it said the whole scenario was made up and was part of trying to see if false memories could be planted in those of us with HSAM. They DID fool one of the four of us on "60 Minutes" (but not me). The peer reviewed article DID find that planted memories could occur in HSAMers.

http://www.pnas.org/content/110/52/20947

I can only go off of myself. I simply say, "I don't know," on memory stuff.
Okay Bill you have crossed the line suggesting that Al did not create the internet. What's next, Amelia Earhart survived and lived out her life in New Jersey?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.