The Mandela Effect (Collective False Memories)

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Here is the latest from my Facebook buddy who constantly shares crap like this. I post this not for political reasons, but to tie it into memory.

The comments in the story are predictable. A bunch of people bashing her and saying things I can’t quote here. A few people posted a Snopes link saying they could find no evidence she said this. But this was dismissed quickly since Snopes is all lies and funded by George Soros. And who could doubt the impartiality of a site called KILLary4Prison? Only a libtard could question their reputation.

But there were a couple people who insisted they had seen her say this. I know you might think they are lying just to give this claim some credibility. But I believe people who say they remember something as crazy as this actually do think they saw it out of their intense dislike for whoever it is about.
This doesn't tie in exactly with this post but it made me think of this story.

At the last place I worked, there was another quality control lady that I worked with for a little while that was a bit touched. At one point we were working on something on a computer and a tick started crawling up the wall behind the monitor. She grabbed a tape dispenser and bashed the tick a few times and was a bit overdramatic about it. Within 20-30 minutes she was telling everyone the story about how a tick had been crawling on her face. I truly don't think that she was lying about it to make it more dramatic. She believed it.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
This probably explains that...
Not really. I can still tell where Florida lines up there even on the slope. The West Wing thing above is more interesting but still doesn't look right to my eye. I haven't yet really found any maps that look like my memory much other than the one on the first page and even it's not exactly right. Perhaps our school was so cheap they went for the alternate dimension knock-off text books and globes.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Are you saying you survived childhood without these in your house??

I remember jamming a screwdriver in the socket once. Never did that again. Experience is still the best teacher.
I remember one time when I was about 9-10 plugging in my tape recorder (the 5 button kind with the "red" record button on the front) - behind my bed without looking and I must have had part of my finger on the metal piece when I plugged it in -- got the hot zzz-zzz pop, jumped back, hit my head, cut my lip, and never blindly plugged in anything else over the past 40 years.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This scene from "The West Wing" always blows my mind because I grew up using the map that distorts everything's size and that was never explained in school.

Also, you are not a real Star Wars fan if you didn't know about C3PO's sliver leg. I mean, come on folks! FYI, he has a red arm in "The Force Awakens".
Wow...thanks...I never knew about this - I don't think. Unless it was explained to me and I just forgot - which is very possible.

Here's is the Gall-Peters projection Wiki link and map image:

And an overlay image showing both - look at HUGE Africa is! :eek:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That's a big one. A lot of people (me and my entire family) recall South America being further west. Not directly under North America but Florida lining up around the middle of South America rather than the far western shore. A lot of people are bugged by that one.

I did figure out my New Zealand one I think. I used to play tons of Risk as a kid, and on the Risk map New Zealand is blown up and directly to the right of Australia.
Brought this to mind......

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My dad had the end of the game on the radio (after the winning goal had been scored), so I knew who had won when I watched.

But in the pre-internet days, it wasn’t that easy to get that information. So I can see people thinking they saw it “live”. And to be honest, if you see it on a two hour tape delay, but you don’t know it is taped, I’m not going to say you are wrong.
Well, this is one of those myths that grew up around it.

Because it wasn't reported on the news and was tape delayed, there are no doubt thousands if not millions who genuinely believe they saw it "live." As far as they're concerned, they did. But nobody but the ones in the building actually "saw" it live.

Great story on the radio btw.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Yeah, but it kind of sucked getting spoiled. I only heard the last minute or two.

Before the TV broadcast started, I saw an ABC guy on the street in Lake Placid saying they were about to show the tape. There were a bunch of people behind him yelling and very excited. The reporter had to scream to be heard. He said they weren’t going to give the score “just in case one person in the country doesn’t know the score”. So it was obvious the US probably won.

But of course, most people probably didn’t see that segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Are you saying you survived childhood without these in your house??

I remember jamming a screwdriver in the socket once. Never did that again. Experience is still the best teacher.
This was a lamp, hung over the headboard, with an empty hot lamp socket. When I took them to task, the first assumption was that someone told me. The problem was that there was only a black lady and I there, and there was only one time she stayed with me, when my brother graduated from HS. So, essentially, only she and I knew about it, until I brought it up as a matter of contention. (She had come running and had apparently told them.) I have many rich memories of the WWII era. For some reason, I never developed childhood amnesia, so I retain those memories while most don't. OTOH, Selma remembers everything else... :D

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This was a lamp, hung over the headboard, with an empty hot lamp socket. When I took them to task, the first assumption was that someone told me. The problem was that there was only a black lady and I there, and there was only one time she stayed with me, when my brother graduated from HS. So, essentially, only she and I knew about it, until I brought it up as a matter of contention. (She had come running and had apparently told them.) I have many rich memories of the WWII era. For some reason, I never developed childhood amnesia, so I retain those memories while most don't. OTOH, Selma remembers everything else... :D

Your Pearl Harbor story always fascinates me.

My Mom doesn't have MY memory, but she does have a very GOOD one. I've brought up some things to her where I knew a lot of details surrounding stuff, and she knew I was small, but she affirms what I'm saying. These days are admittedly sporadic in my VERY early youth, but they include the date of my brother's birth (I was 33 months old) as well as some specific events that happened on the news. Sometimes I can isolate the date with outside help. For example, I remember VERY vividly spending an entire day playing with my red truck and blocks and in heavy anticipation of a Thanksgiving episode of "The Waltons" that was two hours long. An online look shows the episode aired on Thursday, November 15, 1973, a few weeks after I'd turned four. You know kids - I got kind of bored by it after waiting all day! And, for example, we have pictures of the first snowman I actually remember building in Missouri.

Here's how I can isolate the date.
1) I was not yet in school (I began kindergarten in September 1974)
2) my brother was old enough to be quite mobile (he was born in 72, so that means it HAD to be March 1974
3) I vividly recall it snowing on us driving in - and we always went to Missouri early during spring break (verified by Mom)
4) A check of the weather shows that it snowed 4 inches on March 23, 1974 (Saturday) and four more on March 24 (Sunday) then stopped.

So it was one of those two days we drove there, and it was CLEAR until about 1/2 hour from home, so we drove in on March 23; we saw my aunt, who was a car hop at one of those Sonic-like places. (Uh, she had her child - without the husband, a scandal back then - on September 1 that year, so she wasn't showing but was pregnant).

I even know that I stung by a bee on the left mandible (the skin ya know) on Friday, August 29, 1975 EARLY in the am in Lanett, Alabama (it was dark and the bee zinged me getting into the Mercury; even recall eating Apple Jacks for breakfast that morning). We went out of town for the Labor Day weekend (school back then didn't start until AFTER Labor Day) to see my aunt and uncle in NC. I was terrified - remember, I was five - because they kept looking at me for swelling but they'd keep saying my face "has a hole in it," which you can imagine is pretty upsetting for a five-year old. We had lunch on Sunday after church in a restaurant in lower Virginia with a couple that would die the following year in a car accident together. When I relayed the details of that lunch and conversation from a five-year old some 20 years later, my mother was absolutely stunned - because she knew what i was talking about.

Anyway, I'm getting away from the subject, but to the OP - YES, conflation does happen even among some HSAMers; I'm apparently not the "norm," ha ha.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.