Washington/Pac-12 looks to make a statement vs. Auburn/SEC

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So the Barn is getting hyped this year to be a contender in the SECW, right? Historically, this does mean we should expect them to under-perform, right?;)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yea. There are always fluke games where teams lose to teams they shouldn't. Like when we lost to Ole Miss or A&M. But I don't see a team on their schedule that could push them like an Auburn for us.

Pitt and Syracuse were unranked teams with a combined record of 13-12.

ATM had the Heisman Trophy winner and finished the year ranked #6.
2014 Ole Miss finished 9-4 and ranked 17th.
2015 Ole Miss won the Sugar Bowl and would have won the SEC if not for perhaps the most improbable play of the last 25 years - and they still finished tenth.

There's not even remotely a comparison between the losses.

I agree they're fluke games - hell, the biggest reason we lost to ATM was because of HOW we beat LSU the week before; had we blown them out, I think we would have beaten ATM (and still should have but I digress).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So the Barn is getting hyped this year to be a contender in the SECW, right? Historically, this does mean we should expect them to under-perform, right?;)
Let's review my lifetime. The years I don't include, they basically met expectations.

1984 - preseason #1, start 0-2 and lose four games, including the Iron Bowl that would have gotten them back to New Orleans
1985 - preseason #2, blown out by the Vols when ranked #1, lose the Iron Bowl to us, end year unranked

TBF - in 87-88-89, they started and finished in the top ten - and won the SEC all three years. But Bill Curry no longer coaches us, so who cares?

90 - preseason #3, end at 19, lose IB
91 - preseason #17, losing season
95 - preseason #6, ended 22, won IB
98 - preseason #25, losing season, coach resigned, lost IB
03 - preseason #6, picked by some pubs to win national title, finish unranked, Jetgate occurs
08 - preseason #10, losing season, lose IB, Tubs.....whatever happened
14 - preseason 6, finished 22
15 - preseason 6, finish unranked

REVERSE EXPECTATIONS
93 - unranked, finish year at 4, unbeaten, win IB
02 - unranked, finished 14, won IB
04 - started 17, unbeaten season, win SEC and IB
10 - started 22, won national title and everything
13 - unranked, played for national title

About as expected: 83-87-88-89-92-94-96-97-99-00-01-02-05-06-07-09-11-12-16-17

So.....20 times in 35 years, they've been about what was expected (this kind of takes the air out of that theory).
Five times they've been ranked lowly and surprised. And ten times they've been overrated going INTO the season.

Odds are they're going to be a top 15 team folks. I think it will be tougher to be higher because of their schedule, though.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree they're fluke games - hell, the biggest reason we lost to ATM was because of HOW we beat LSU the week before; had we blown them out, I think we would have beaten ATM (and still should have but I digress).
I blame it on Nuss more than LSU. Yeah many laugh and joke about Pete Carroll on the goal line . Bama's last offensive series would have been more than it is had KSU or Oregon hung on the weekend after. Get it on the 6 and you decide to try to get AJ the heisman is pretty ridiculous. Heck the final play looks identical to the Russell Wilson int in the SB.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.