Confederate Icons Conference 28 July 2018

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Not sure if this is being broadcast live but C-SPAN is here at James Madison University.
The Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation is holding an all-day conference on Confederate monuments.
Prof. (emeritus) Bud Robertson has given his remarks.
Prof. Caroline Janney is speaking now.
Christie Coleman of Richmond's Civil War Museum (a museum erected on the carcass of the now-defunct Museum of the Confederacy) will speak this afternoon.
After her John Coski of the same museum will speak.
If it is not live, I would recommend watching Bud Robertson's one-hour talk.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
You back in the "insufferable summer", TW? :wink:
Yes. It is actually quite sufferable in Harrisonburg today. Low 80s and dry. I can deal with this.

Bud Robertson's talk will air on C-SPAN3 at 7:15 pm EDT this evening and again on August 3 at 9:15 pm EDT.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Caroline Janney's talk will air tonight at 8:00 pm EDT.
She is about to take her chair at the University of Virginia. Her comments were about how different groups remembered the war. While veterans eventually got to the point of holding joint veterans' reunions, but amongst their own people, they were divisive and unreconciled until they died. Confederate veterans de-emphasized slavery, Union veterans emphasized the Union, and eventually some emphasized the false narrative that Union veterans fought solely to end slavery and in favor of racial equality. Their descendants, especially between the Spanish American War and World war I, emphasized national reconciliation.
I would add that Union veterans (and their biological and philosophical descendants to this day) refused to acknowledge anything antidemocratic or unconstitutional about Union policy of overthrowing elected state governments and replacing them with appointed military governors.

I spoke with Prof. Janney about the SPLC chart progressives like to post as demonstrating that Confederate monuments were linked (allegedly causally) to black disfranchisement and lynching. I told her that we have a control group: northern county monuments. I have tallied Union county monuments in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Ohio and Indiana and when their monuments were erected. Here are the results:
Massachusetts: (50 monuments) average year of dedication, 1883
Connecticut: (109 monuments), average 1893
Ohio: (51 monuments) 1895
Indiana: (60 monuments) 1902.

So, when northern counties erect monuments to the lads who were killed in the war, they were just remembering those who served or those who died. When southern communities did the exact same thing at the exact same time, they were erected monuments to racism and slavery. Uh, huh.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Some of you wonder why I am so dedicated on this issue. Here's a portion of why:

Austin city report on Confederate monuments suggests renaming city
You don't think that maybe the act of naming the city after Austin was due to something besides his stance on slavery? Maybe if the city council is really offended, they should move to Mexico, since, without Austin, and Houston, that city would be part of Mexico.

The Society of the Perpetually Offended has declared that, from now on, the four cardinal directions are East, West, North, and Hate. The Southeastern Conference, not wishing to give offense to the SPO, in a show of solidarity, agreed to rename the Conference, henceforth known as the Hate-Eastern Conference, or HEC.

The Hate Poverty Law Center was initially opposed to the change, but on second thought decided it liked the new name. "We hate poverty. That's why we got in this business. You can make some excellent coin hating poverty."

Or maybe Austin city council could issue a statement along these lines: "We unequivocally and categorically condemn the practice of chattel slavery. We are disappointed that our hero, Stephen F. Austin engaged in the practice, but we, in no way named the city because of his support for slavery. We otherwise honor his courage and sacrifices in the service of the Republic of Texas."

tidegrandpa

All-American
Some of you wonder why I am so dedicated on this issue. Here's a portion of why:

You don't think that maybe the act of naming the city after Austin was due to something besides his stance on slavery? Maybe if the city council is really offended, they should move to Mexico, since, without Austin, and Houston, that city would be part of Mexico.

The Society of the Perpetually Offended has declared that, from now on, the four cardinal directions are East, West, North, and Hate. The Southeastern Conference, not wishing to give offense to the SPO, in a show of solidarity, agreed to rename the Conference, henceforth known as the Hate-Eastern Conference, or HEC.

The Hate Poverty Law Center was initially opposed to the change, but on second thought decided it liked the new name. "We hate poverty. That's why we got in this business. You can make some excellent coin hating poverty."

Or maybe Austin city council could issue a statement along these lines: "We unequivocally and categorically condemn the practice of chattel slavery. We are disappointed that our hero, Stephen F. Austin engaged in the practice, but we, in no way named the city because of his support for slavery. We otherwise honor his courage and sacrifices in the service of the Republic of Texas."
Austin is in Travis County ( as in William B. Alamo fighter), wonder if he had them and whole county is changed. Slippery slope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

I posted this before: the inscription on the Moores Creek Loyalist Monument in North Carolina gives a clue to the intent of the 1900-1920 era monuments. Constructed in 1909, I look at the authors applying the wording to Loyalists in the Revolutionary War and Confederates in the Civil War.

ERE FELL CAPTAIN MCLEOD, CAPTAIN CAMPBELL AND ABOUT FIFTY HIGHLAND SCOTS, LOYALISTS; WHO, WITH SPLENDID COURAGE, ASSUALTED WITH CLAYMORES THE AMERICAN INTRENCHMENTS. THEY WERE HEROES WHO DID THEIR DUTY AS THEY SAW IT AND ARE WORTHY OF THIS TRIBUTE FROM THE DESCENDANTS OF THE EQUALLY BRAVE MEN WHOM THEY FOUGHT. PEACE TO THEIR ASHES.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.