Race for the #1 Ranking Class

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Agreed, but the talking heads would have you believe that it`s over, finis, kaput. It`s what they`re waiting for, especially ding dongs like Kanell, Bayless. etc., etc. Just watch.
Sure, they will - they've all ready done it several times in this run. Bama has lost a game almost every year and several times (A&M '12, AU '13, OM 14&15, etc.) several in the media have declared the end. There's nothing one can do about what others say. And thankfully, they are often wrong.

In today's world, with so much money and pride at stake, neither the rest of the SEC nor the nation are going to lay down and let anyone have free reign. OSU, OU, Texas, Clemson, Michigan and others are doing everything they can to topple Alabama. Just because the SEC has been somewhat incompetent of late doesn't mean that it's not doing everything it can to dethrone the Tide. One reason for their problems is that they weren't satisfied because of Bama and in most instances their remedy failed. But UT with Pruitt, UGA with Smart, A&M with Fisher and AU with GM are all doing everything in their power to become or remain relevant. I feel sorry for LSU but if they have the money they will try to do it with O's replacement. UF tried but had to settle for DM, who is a good coach but a poor recruiter and thus, IMO he will have trouble consistently competing at a high level. Others like MSU may be able to step up intermittently. But they're all "comin" in O's parlance or trying.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
So where are the other 4 Georgia 5 stars committed? Is GA out of the running for them?
Tenn, The Barn, Michigan, and Clemson.

247 sports says:

Wanya Morris is a Tenn and Barner battle.

Owen Pappoe is a Barn and UGA battle ... Barners flipped him in May

Chris Hinton is a race between Michigan and the UGA

Andrew Booth is a race between Clemson and the barn

I agree with B1G Tide though ... fear no one.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
My guess as of now: Bama currently have 1 5 star rankings. 18 4-stars. Every year, we usually see a bump or drop from their star rankings.
All of the current recruits who are committed to Bama are rated 80 or better. It is possible that we might see 1-3 players that might get bumped up to 5 stars. I don't know who.

Also, we're targeting Kayvon Thibodeaux and Darnell Wright. If they pick Bama.... It's pretty much solid as far as #1... It'll be close.. but no matter what happens, we'll finish in top 2.

Georgia is interesting case to watch because, It's a state with load of talents so if they lose someone, they can pluck another one. They might lose 5 star... and get a 4 star.
You left out Sanders, Hill, Sopsher and Webb, all who are 5*, that are seriously considering us. I think there is a high likelihood we finish #1. As I have mentioned we will most likely sign 28 in this class and I don't believe UGA will sign this many.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
You left out Sanders, Hill, Sopsher and Webb, all who are 5*, that are seriously considering us. I think there is a high likelihood we finish #1. As I have mentioned we will most likely sign 28 in this class and I don't believe UGA will sign this many.

I didn't forget about them. I'm just saying with those guys... it's enough to land #1... but if we get rest.. that's a huge bonus.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
To keep everything in perspective ... the state of Georgia is loaded with 5 stars this year. 7 total per 247sports ... UGA only has 3 of them. Bama's class is far from finished, most of the guys left we have projected to come in are 5 stars as well so we will be good to go.
Four if you include DRob in this signing class. Odd the NCAA doesn't recognize a transfer in the current class. Nevertheless, he shouldn't be overlooked, especially if he gets to play right away.

In general, there's a long way to go and Bama will land more 5*'s. I think those two schools will finish 1 & 2. Who sits at the top is anyone's guess at this stage. At the end of the day it's about filling needs and adding quality depth.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Correct, we're projected to sign 21-23 in this class. However, if we get to the end and need to make room for a 5*, the poor kid with 3*'s next to his name will probably be asked to look at other options. This is just a fact of life at Top 5 schools.

Georgia is currently ranked number 2, but our Average is a point higher than anyone else.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Dawg, you probably missed my question posted earlier in this thread. How long does Kirby have to win a national championship, in your opinion? My thinking, with the talent level and the expectations from last year, if he doesn`t do it in the next couple of years, there`s going to be an awful lot of disappointed and upset UGA fans. What say you?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Dawg, you probably missed my question posted earlier in this thread. How long does Kirby have to win a national championship, in your opinion? My thinking, with the talent level and the expectations from last year, if he doesn`t do it in the next couple of years, there`s going to be an awful lot of disappointed and upset UGA fans. What say you?
Never mind! Sorry Dawg! Saw your response.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Correct, we're projected to sign 21-23 in this class. However, if we get to the end and need to make room for a 5*, the poor kid with 3*'s next to his name will probably be asked to look at other options. This is just a fact of life at Top 5 schools.

Georgia is currently ranked number 2, but our Average is a point higher than anyone else.
Yep. This happens with us every year. The one I feel bad for is the DL Cheney who was committed to UGA and is now committed to us but he is currently not expected to be part of our class either. There will be a lot of culling going on at the top programs which will help some of the other programs.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Hinton isn't a UGA vs UM battle. He talks to us more than anyone knows. UGA will recruit well but will they develop their players ? Is Kirby a leader ? Is Georgia overrated at the top in player rankings ? Last year we had terrible instate class and coaches leaving. We still got the best WR in the nation from Texas (not only my opinion but the staff) and hit on all of the secondary as well as the best prospect in Anoma. (Enjoy watching that freak the next three years)

Also Theo WR from Texas talks to our staff a lot and the communication comes from him not the other way.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Four if you include DRob in this signing class. Odd the NCAA doesn't recognize a transfer in the current class. Nevertheless, he shouldn't be overlooked, especially if he gets to play right away.

In general, there's a long way to go and Bama will land more 5*'s. I think those two schools will finish 1 & 2. Who sits at the top is anyone's guess at this stage. At the end of the day it's about filling needs and adding quality depth.
I hope they change that so that transfers will be counted. Next year there should be a boatload of them and that could really alter the rankings if they are not counted.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Georgia just landed the #1 JUCO player in the nation, Jermaine Johnson (DE). That just put us at in the #1 spot. Again, this ranking will be fluid and a battle to the end. FWIW, I don't think any other schools can overtake Georgia and Bama for the class title.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Georgia just landed the #1 JUCO player in the nation, Jermaine Johnson (DE). That just put us at in the #1 spot. Again, this ranking will be fluid and a battle to the end. FWIW, I don't think any other schools can overtake Georgia and Bama for the class title.
Agreed. I think we finish #1 due to number of signees.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Here is why I am concerned. Many are expecting Georgia to have a down year because they lost all those starters. But ….. I remember when they used to say the same about us but how they just say "Nick" will plug new 5 stars in" and we will be fine and it turns out that true. Georgia is not going anywhere and in fact may be the new king of recruiting.

Plug and Play -- Recruiting in last five years:

Alabama 5 stars: 22 4 stars: 74
Georgia 5 stars: 17 4 stars: 65

as of now:

Alabama 5 stars: 1 4 stars: 18
Georgia 5 stars: 5 4 stars: 11

The gap is closing. That concerns me.

Last edited:

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Here is why I am concerned. Many are expecting Georgia to have a down year because they lost all those starters. But ….. I remember when they used to say the same about us but how they just say "Nick" will plug new 5 stars in" and we will be fine and it turns out that true. Georgia is not going anywhere and in fact may be the new king of recruiting.

as of now:

This is why college football is king and why the SEC is so compelling to watch. A real legit rivalry is brewing and that's good for the game.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
This is why college football is king and why the SEC is so compelling to watch. A real legit rivalry is brewing and that's good for the game.
IMO with one more stellar class after this one, on top of the last 2-3, UGA will have the talent and depth to go man for man with us. They will be the first since about the second or third year of CNS`s tenure. Then it will come down to coaching, preparation, and who has the best injury luck during the season when UA and UGA do play.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

as of now:

We will end up with at least 5 - 5* so don't be concerned.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.