Race for the #1 Ranking Class - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Race for the #1 Ranking Class

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    Jam ! What !??
    they get UGA early 2nd game and they are a good team. UGA going to have some growing pains with losing players

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by jambama1 View Post
    they get UGA early 2nd game and they are a good team. UGA going to have some growing pains with losing players
    Well, I really hope you`re right. Don`t think so, but I hope so. Expectations are stratospheric over here in Georgia, and I fear these folks will be insufferable if they begin to be realized.

BamaNation All-American

Well, I really hope you`re right. Don`t think so, but I hope so. Expectations are stratospheric over here in Georgia, and I fear these folks will be insufferable if they begin to be realized.
    I remember going there for bama vs va tech and the local radio was saying its uga year then they lost there first game. then they wanted to fire richt

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

I'm guessing they go 10-2.....and are in the SECCG as nothing more than a spoiler.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Another way to look at recruiting: Five year average of three stars, meaning the less 3* signed the more 4 & 5 stars to plug and play. This year Bama and Georgia lead the way with one 1*.

Alabama 25
    OSU 29
    Clemson 35
    USC 35
    Georgia 43
    LSU 43
    FSU 47
    Michigan 49
    Auburn 50
    ND 51
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    Another way to look at recruiting: Five year average of three stars, meaning the less 3* signed the more 4 & 5 stars to plug and play. This year Bama and Georgia lead the way with one 1*.

Alabama 25
    OSU 29
    Clemson 35
    USC 35
    Georgia 43
    LSU 43
    FSU 47
    Michigan 49
    Auburn 50
    ND 51
    As we see schools like Auburn, Notre Dame, and even Clemson for 2019 -- and you see all the 3* (Clemson has 12 for 2019 -- which makes no sense to me). Does that mean that they just picked the wrong kids early in the process? Or does that mean the luster has worn off of Clemson/Auburn with UGA's rise? That's confusing to me.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    As we see schools like Auburn, Notre Dame, and even Clemson for 2019 -- and you see all the 3* (Clemson has 12 for 2019 -- which makes no sense to me). Does that mean that they just picked the wrong kids early in the process? Or does that mean the luster has worn off of Clemson/Auburn with UGA's rise? That's confusing to me.
    2019 is only one year so we'll have to see the next couple to find a "new" trend. Clemson is WAY OVER their three star average and, like you, I wonder why. It appears most of the others are pretty close to their average but I have not looked at all of them. I think the also-rans usually fill out their numbers with three stars, I expect them to add more.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation All-American

Many fans still take the stars too seriously, as though they were the gospel. Many 4 stars are really 3 stars or 5 stars, many 3 stars are 4 star or 5 stars, many 5 stars are 4 stars. etc. If a top recruiting staff knows what they are looking for and have an eye for talent, if they take 3 stars at this point, they are likely better than available 4 or 5 stars.

Nick Saban's greatest"gift' is probably his ability to evaluate talent, thus his classes are usually better than their ranking. But the recruiting services know this and bump many of his players up quicker than they would others. Also, Saban is looking for specific types of players that fit what he wants. IMO, from 08-15 LSU had more athletically gifted teams than Bama, but Bama's fit Saban's style of play. Now that Bama has changed it's philosophy, Bama's teams are much more athletically gifted than before.

Bottom line is that though the rankings have some value, they are not close to being a precise measurement even at the class level and much less at the individual level.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    Many fans still take the stars too seriously, as though they were the gospel. Many 4 stars are really 3 stars or 5 stars, many 3 stars are 4 star or 5 stars, many 5 stars are 4 stars. etc. If a top recruiting staff knows what they are looking for and have an eye for talent, if they take 3 stars at this point, they are likely better than available 4 or 5 stars.

Nick Saban's greatest"gift' is probably his ability to evaluate talent, thus his classes are usually better than their ranking. But the recruiting services know this and bump many of his players up quicker than they would others. Also, Saban is looking for specific types of players that fit what he wants. IMO, from 08-15 LSU had more athletically gifted teams than Bama, but Bama's fit Saban's style of play. Now that Bama has changed it's philosophy, Bama's teams are much more athletically gifted than before.

Bottom line is that though the rankings have some value, they are not close to being a precise measurement even at the class level and much less at the individual level.
    They have much more value than you are giving them. A consistent top 10 ranking in most cases is a very good indicator your team is going to be good to very good. Your argument was mayebe good 10 years ago or so but with the money recruiting services spend on their evaluations they are now accurate for the most part. Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, FSU, the Barn finish Top 10 in recruiting and typically they are the ones being discussed for the play-offs and other big bowls. You can throw Boise St or UCF at me but playing 11 patsies a years and having a pretty good recruiting class and good coaching can do that when playing that type of schedule.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    They have much more value than you are giving them. A consistent top 10 ranking in most cases is a very good indicator your team is going to be good to very good. Your argument was mayebe good 10 years ago or so but with the money recruiting services spend on their evaluations they are now accurate for the most part. Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, FSU, the Barn finish Top 10 in recruiting and typically they are the ones being discussed for the play-offs and other big bowls. You can throw Boise St or UCF at me but playing 11 patsies a years and having a pretty good recruiting class and good coaching can do that when playing that type of schedule.
    I'm not saying that as an aggregate over 4 years that there is not some legitimacy, but looking at a one year class becomes more of a guess and finally, thinking that a specific player's ranking as anything close to a sure thing is lunacy. In most programs, if you hit (they become meaningful contributors to your program) on half of them you have done very well.

And I'm not dissing the rankers, who have improved, but they are not nearly as good as coaches who are paid many times over what the "analysts" make. Almost any analyst would die for a P5 job. And the highly paid, true experts, the coaches, miss on roughly half of them.

If you go back and look at Bama's past classes you will be surprised at how many 5 star, top 50, top 100, 4 star recruits never do anything at Bama. And Bama probably does the best job of the high profile programs. I do not want to name the kids.

i've been saying I think uga drops 1 or two of the uf, ut, usce games this season. those three teams will be gunning for them and uga has never really had to play with much of a target on their backs.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation First Team

UGA has had talent the entire time. FSU had talent for 20 years. development is where bama is just different. Mental toughness as well. Saban's teams at LSU were doing the same thing when he was there. Saban has the process that nobody has nor likely will figure out as much as other emulate.
    As I've stated on this board several times, Richt was great at bringing in flashy talent in certain positions. What Richt lacked that Bama, Clemson and Ohio St. has done over the years is amass top tier talent across all positions. To win Championships you need to be talented and deep across the board, not just in 3 or 4 positions. Georgia has never had 5*'s backing 5*'s across the board. However, that's changing under Kirby Smart. We're still not there yet, but we're closing the talent game.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
    As I've stated on this board several times, Richt was great at bringing in flashy talent in certain positions. What Richt lacked that Bama, Clemson and Ohio St. has done over the years is amass top tier talent across all positions. To win Championships you need to be talented and deep across the board, not just in 3 or 4 positions. Georgia has never had 5*'s backing 5*'s across the board. However, that's changing under Kirby Smart. We're still not there yet, but we're closing the talent game.
    Couldn't disagree with you more. 2012 was a championship team for UGA that had talent everywhere same in 08. If you think for a second y'all are about to go bama on this league you are sadly mistaken. This past year was led by Richt players except the starting QB in prime positions. The deep RB backfield you enjoyed came from Richt not Kirby. Kirby better show more results to tame the wild expectations you guys have. Especially when Miami is about to have a great season in the ACC.