Guess the most overrated P5 team of the past decade

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
I'm not at all surprised by the Tennessee numbers. Maybe it is partly from living in the state, but it seems like every year is going to be their year from the time the last bit of confetti falls at the National Championship game until the first time they lose on a hail Mary or just suck from coin flip to final gun. I started hearing it this year as soon as Jeremy Pruitt was announced as Head Coach. It was exactly the same comments made when Dooley was hired, just substituting a name. It was all about hiring a Saban protege, finally having all of Saban's secrets, taking the real power behind the throne, blah, blah, blah.... When Butch Jones was hired it was all about how they learned their lesson about hiring a Saban guy because they were just puppets, robots, etc. and Saban was the control freak who was really running the whole show. Assistants didn't really matter. I guess we'll see what the new excuses are if Pruitt doesn't win the CFP this year.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Haven't beaten Ohio State either... But the overall resume of non-conference beatdowns (Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Texas) is strong.
Though not during the Saban years, we’ve beaten Ohio State 3 times in my lifetime, so I’ve experienced what it’s like to beat them. OTOH, We haven’t beaten Oklahoma since JFK was in the White House—hence, the only blue blood we haven’t beaten in what it seems to be forever.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Though not during the Saban years, we’ve beaten Ohio State 3 times in my lifetime, so I’ve experienced what it’s like to beat them. OTOH, We haven’t beaten Oklahoma since JFK was in the White House—hence, the only blue blood we haven’t beaten in what it seems to be forever.
Why do you care? You cannot avenge losses from decades ago because more than just the teams and coaches have changed in the intervening time - the entire programs have changed. It would be like losing to Michigan, then beating Virginia and considering the score settled.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I dunno about that. It really comes down to whether Frost can recruit nationally at a high level. If he can (huge if, obviously) they're situated pretty well in the B1G West.
I think Wisconsin and Iowa roll him 4 years straight and the husker nation will start to call for his head. I think Nebraska is a dead program, and would require another cheater ,or opportunist if you prefer, to bring them back to where they were in the 90's. I just don't see any advantage of being Nebraska's HC over being Ole Miss's without probation.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I think Wisconsin and Iowa roll him 4 years straight and the husker nation will start to call for his head. I think Nebraska is a dead program, and would require another cheater ,or opportunist if you prefer, to bring them back to where they were in the 90's. I just don't see any advantage of being Nebraska's HC over being Ole Miss's without probation.
As long as Ferentz is there Iowa will be Iowa -- a smart, physical, disciplined team capable of upsetting top teams at Kinnick but never able to recruit the talent to really compete at the highest level.

Wisconsin is a better version of Iowa -- they don't recruit well but they develop their guys and play their brand of ball at an extremely high level.

Scott Frost, by all accounts, is a dynamic recruiter with ties to Florida and California. He's a hot, buzz worthy coach and his alma mater is his dream job. I'm not predicting anything just yet but if there was ever anyone who could bring them back to prominence I think he could be the guy -- and if he's able to recruit at a high level the Big Ten West is weak enough that the road to the Big Ten Title and playoff is easier than you'd think. He basically needs to be better than Wisconsin, Iowa, and Northwestern/Purdue and survive 1 or 2 games against the top teams in the east per year.

In order to win in the SEC East Pruitt has to beat out Mullen and UF and Kirby at UGA, which are real obstacles... I think the division breakdowns make thing smoother for NU than you'd think.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As long as Ferentz is there Iowa will be Iowa -- a smart, physical, disciplined team capable of upsetting top teams at Kinnick but never able to recruit the talent to really compete at the highest level.

Wisconsin is a better version of Iowa -- they don't recruit well but they develop their guys and play their brand of ball at an extremely high level.

Scott Frost, by all accounts, is a dynamic recruiter with ties to Florida and California. He's a hot, buzz worthy coach and his alma mater is his dream job. I'm not predicting anything just yet but if there was ever anyone who could bring them back to prominence I think he could be the guy -- and if he's able to recruit at a high level the Big Ten West is weak enough that the road to the Big Ten Title and playoff is easier than you'd think. He basically needs to be better than Wisconsin, Iowa, and Northwestern/Purdue and survive 1 or 2 games against the top teams in the east per year.

In order to win in the SEC East Pruitt has to beat out Mullen and UF and Kirby at UGA, which are real obstacles... I think the division breakdowns make thing smoother for NU than you'd think.
Iowa and Wisconsin have far better instate recruits than Nebraska. Nebraska's instate recruiting is basically in a 45 minute radius on the eastern most part of the state. Wisconsin and Iowa are more spread out, and have bigger communities that allow more schools and more recruits. I would say Orlando has better recruits than the whole state of Nebraska by itself.

I think Frost may be overrated. George O'leary did pretty good at UCF before Frost.

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Iowa and Wisconsin have far better instate recruits than Nebraska. Nebraska's instate recruiting is basically in a 45 minute radius on the eastern most part of the state. Wisconsin and Iowa are more spread out, and have bigger communities that allow more schools and more recruits. I would say Orlando has better recruits than the whole state of Nebraska by itself.

I think Frost may be overrated. George O'leary did pretty good at UCF before Frost.
I mean Frost took UCF from 0-12 to 6-6 to 13-0 with a win over Auburn in two years. That's pretty impressive to me.

And clearly I'm not saying there isn't more talent in Orlando than in Nebraska. I'm saying Frost is an elite recruiter who might be able to get kids from Orlando, and Texas, and California to Lincoln. Nebraksa would never have been anything if they relied primarily on in-state recruits.

We'll see how it plays out. I'm very curious.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I mean Frost took UCF from 0-12 to 6-6 to 13-0 with a win over Auburn in two years. That's pretty impressive to me.

And clearly I'm not saying there isn't more talent in Orlando than in Nebraska. I'm saying Frost is an elite recruiter who might be able to get kids from Orlando, and Texas, and California to Lincoln. Nebraksa would never have been anything if they relied primarily on in-state recruits.

We'll see how it plays out. I'm very curious.
I agree with you. Nebraska has a long, long way to go if they win the Big 10. But Frost has a short drive to win the Big 10 West.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree with you. Nebraska has a long, long way to go if they win the Big 10. But Frost has a short drive to win the Big 10 West.
If he wins it in the next 4 years then I would be shocked. Too much fan access, too much recruiting disadvantages, and a lack of infrastructure. It may take a Nick Saban or Urban Meyer to turn it around.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
To me, the most impressive numbers in that article were Alabama and Ohio State each at -1. You know where both get consistently ranked pre-season - very near the top - and both pretty much wind up there at the end year over year.

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
Michigan and Notre Dame are the two most overrated schools almost every year. Michigan hasn't won a Big 10 title in 14 years and they have won a half-share of a national championship in the last 70 years. That's it. Harbaugh can take his team to Italy and France but he can't get them to Indianapolis.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Second this. There is no way ND would have played us in the NC if they had not been ND. They are media darlings although they have not been relevant for 60+ years despite the NC they won within this period.
Well, to be fair.....we could turn that around.

If Ohio State had not been ineligible, we would have been on the outside looking in, too.

However - Notre Dame was not undeserving in 2012. They might not have been very good, but they were the one team that until the championship game did what they had to do to get there.

(And bought Brian Kelly enough time to wreck them!!!!)

:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.