How will Mississippi State fare in the SEC West?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Re: How will Mississippi State fair in the SEC West?

After seeing what Moorhead did at State Penn, I'm betting his offense will cause a lot of problems to the teams MSU plays this year. If the D is any good at all, they're likely going to win a bunch of games.

I'd guess third in the W behind Bama and AU or LSU.
Yeah. Mullen did a pretty good job coaching those guys up. I think Moorehead will do the same, and has a pretty good record of doing so at PSU. I might even go as far as to say he might be an improvement over Mullen.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I have noticed on comments sections about the upcoming season the Miss State fans are quite cocky about their chances. They seem to think they will be the team that dethrones Alabama. Personally I think the cowbells will be mediocre as usual. I guess these people think Mullen was holding them back and this new guy that has never been a head coach in his life will suddenly make them a dominate team.
Meh. They missed their chance last year then. Got us in T-town this year so that's a tough out.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn

Lots of love in the press for State this year. They have a ton of returning talent.

rtr
They will pretty good. Especially early in the season. Fitz is confident. Probably too confident. They should be one of the good teams in the West. More worried about Bama and our 2 new coordinators. Will the team run smoothly. Of course....MSU will have new coach and staff issues. Normal stuff. Their QB health is debatable over the long run.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA

I re-watched last years Miss State game and boy where they talented. I think with a healthy Fitz they could finish 2nd but more than likely will end up third or fourth. The key though is that if they beat LSU, it would be the start of a downward trend for the tigahs.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I re-watched last years Miss State game and boy where they talented. I think with a healthy Fitz they could finish 2nd but more than likely will end up third or fourth. The key though is that if they beat LSU, it would be the start of a downward trend for the tigahs.
They beat LSU 37-7 in 2017. THIRTY points! They return 81% of the production from 2017. Tops in the SEC. LSU returns 48%. Last in the SEC.

In the two weeks prior to the 2018 game, LSU plays at Florida and UGA. MSU plays the barn and is off the second week.

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

I think they're going to be pretty good -- I think Moorehead's offense translates well with that talent. Nick Fitzgerald is good. I don't think they're good enough to finish ahead of Auburn but I absolutely think they can be better than LSU and A&M.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA

They beat LSU 37-7 in 2017. THIRTY points! They return 81% of the production from 2017. Tops in the SEC. LSU returns 48%. Last in the SEC.

In the two weeks prior to the 2018 game, LSU plays at Florida and UGA. MSU plays the barn and is off the second week.
I got a lot of State Friends over here in Northeast Louisiana hoping that a victory against the tigahs would shift that series in another direction. LSU downright dominated them for like 17 years but a win this season by State would make them 3-2 over the last five which is a big deal for recruiting here in the Delta. Northeast LA is a hotbed for talent and LSU has been losing ground steadily to Bama over the last decade. Miss State has been working hard to creep in and pick up whats left making it harder for LSU to pick kids they once took for granted.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

It seems there are some big differences in the opinions on MSU. I also think they will be pretty solid. I think they compete for second and likely end up third in the West. As someone else mentioned, the game with AU should decide second in the West.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.