Urban Meyer covering up domestic abuse allegations of former coach since 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This isn’t quite Sandusky level bad, but it’s about as close as you can get. I don’t want this to be true, but I suspect it is - and if it is, he has to go.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This isn’t quite Sandusky level bad, but it’s about as close as you can get. I don’t want this to be true, but I suspect it is - and if it is, he has to go.
It would be the third time a legend at tOSU fell For causes not associated with Wins and losses. Not good for the university especially now

Last edited:

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
More I read into this the more disturbing it becomes. Apparently the coach in question, Zach Smith, was charged with domestic violence while on Urban's staff at UF. The charges were dropped after Urban had his "life coach" talk to the victim. From what I've read the incident at UF happened when Zach Smith came home drunk with another woman (Meyer's secretary at the time) and that led to the argument and domestic incident with his wife. The fact Urban knew about this prior incident makes it look worse that he tried to bury this second incident. I guess charges were dropped in both cases so not sure what to think about the incidents themselves but I think it's pretty clear at this point that this was an attempted cover up by Urban..
I read some of the texts Smith sent to his ex, threatening violence against any guy he saw out with, etc. I have no doubt that he is, indeed, a scumbag. What I am less certain about is how culpable Meyer is in all of this. Maybe he did lie to the media. He did say that there were facts left to be determined and did not want to make a rush to judgment, because it would negatively affect someone's career for the rest of their lives, and he wanted to make the right call. I agree with him on that part, at least. Urban was also fighting with himself over the relationship between the coach in question and Earl Bruce. Maybe gave the guy too much leeway and did a bit too much covering and not enough acting. I can see making that mistake. I am not trying to totally forgive Meyer on this. He messed up. Period. But I just don't think we know enough yet to say he needs to be crucified.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I read some of the texts Smith sent to his ex, threatening violence against any guy he saw out with, etc. I have no doubt that he is, indeed, a scumbag. What I am less certain about is how culpable Meyer is in all of this. Maybe he did lie to the media. He did say that there were facts left to be determined and did not want to make a rush to judgment, because it would negatively affect someone's career for the rest of their lives, and he wanted to make the right call. I agree with him on that part, at least. Urban was also fighting with himself over the relationship between the coach in question and Earl Bruce. Maybe gave the guy too much leeway and did a bit too much covering and not enough acting. I can see making that mistake. I am not trying to totally forgive Meyer on this. He messed up. Period. But I just don't think we know enough yet to say he needs to be crucified.
The problem is that he has covered it up for 8 years. That is a Title IX violation, and TOSU is already dealing with a separate one so this almost means heads are about to roll, and I think Urban’s and The AD will be the first.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Wait, who's saying he should be crucified? I have, in every post, qualified my thoughts with *if true* or that this looks bad but let's wait for all the information to come out because texts can be spoofed. So who are referring to that's saying Urban should be crucified?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
More I read into this the more disturbing it becomes. Apparently the coach in question, Zach Smith, was charged with domestic violence while on Urban's staff at UF. The charges were dropped after Urban had his "life coach" talk to the victim. From what I've read the incident at UF happened when Zach Smith came home drunk with another woman (Meyer's secretary at the time) and that led to the argument and domestic incident with his wife. The fact Urban knew about this prior incident makes it look worse that he tried to bury this second incident. I guess charges were dropped in both cases so not sure what to think about the incidents themselves but I think it's pretty clear at this point that this was an attempted cover up by Urban..
This is not true. Both Zach and his wife - the same wife that made these allegations - told Meyer that it was just a big misunderstanding. Both told him together that Zach had never been abusive, physically or verbally. As for the "other woman" for Zach at Florida - never heard that it happened or was a part of the misunderstanding, but it makes sense.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is not true. Both Zach and his wife - the same wife that made these allegations - told Meyer that it was just a big misunderstanding. Both told him together that Zach had never been abusive, physically or verbally. As for the "other woman" for Zach at Florida - never heard that it happened or was a part of the misunderstanding, but it makes sense.
Maybe I'm getting confused because the wife from the incidents at OSU has a video out by the media outlet Stadium where she directly contradicts what you just stated. She's obviously the ex-wife now but she was told to not call the police or Zach would lose his job. She was told to not go public because Zach would lose his job so she didn't. She gives a very descriptive account of the abuse..

Either way, what are your thoughts on the broader picture rather than just some of the details from the 2009 incident?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Wait, who's saying he should be crucified? I have, in every post, qualified my thoughts with *if true* or that this looks bad but let's wait for all the information to come out because texts can be spoofed. So who are referring to that's saying Urban should be crucified?
I never said you were trying to crucify. But I do listen to sports radio and it is already starting up. We all know how big something like this can get blown up in the media where, ultimately, the bigger the person they take down, the better they like it, whether his role in it was significant or not.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I actually hope you are right.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Here's my take - if true, I would not fire Meyer for this, and here is why:

* The couple both lied to him while at Florida. The wife was the main person leading that charge - she insisted that Zach did not touch her.
* The couple spends a great deal of time with the Meyers, in private settings. Never, not once, did it appear that this might even be a possibility in their marriage.
* Assuming Shelley told Urban (a safe bet), Meyer would have to weigh that against the fact that she dropped all charges and refused to name her husband to the police as the person who abused her. In other words, she was lying (again), but when? When she said that he hurt her, or when she called the police to begin with?
* Since the police were notified in every instance directly by Zach's wife, Meyer had no legal or moral obligation to conduct his own investigation.
* When it became clear that Zach was really guilty of this, Urban fired him. Did he wait too long? Maybe. Depends on a lot of things. But remember that he thought that he knew these people, and it turns out that they were both lying to him and his entire family for a decade.

You all know how supportive I am of women who have been abused. Imagine that these were your friends, putting on a great face in public but accusing one another of ugly things in private. Does one deserve to lose his livelihood based on this? Did he really cross a line? How would you know with certainty?

This is stuff to be managed by the cops and the judicial system. They knew about it. Urban did not try to impede any of those proceedings. So what did he do wrong, exactly? Not fire Zach because he heard through his wife who heard from the wife via text that something happened, but she refused to name Zach in the complaint.

So, that's where I stand now. As more information becomes available, I leave myself open to changing my stance.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe I'm getting confused because the wife from the incidents at OSU has a video out by the media outlet Stadium where she directly contradicts what you just stated. She's obviously the ex-wife now but she was told to not call the police or Zach would lose his job. She was told to not go public because Zach would lose his job so she didn't. She gives a very descriptive account of the abuse..

Either way, what are your thoughts on the broader picture rather than just some of the details from the 2009 incident?
She did call the police - both times in 2015 and at Florida. She was not told not to call the police by anyone. I have no idea where you are getting that. If it is true, I have not heard of it. If it is true, Meyer needs to go - now.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
She did call the police - both times in 2015 and at Florida. She was not told not to call the police by anyone. I have no idea where you are getting that. If it is true, I have not heard of it. If it is true, Meyer needs to go - now.
I think her family is the one that told her not to call the police or at least that was my impression from the interview.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Personally I think if this is true then Urban needs a suspension of 4-6 games , but if it’s true then it’s more than likely the end of the Urban era with the current mood on this issue in the country

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
Whether he lied about it, or helped cover it up doesn't matter. Being in the position that he is, he should be fired for simply doing nothing about it. I have zero sympathy for anyone who would stand aside and let a woman be abused. This is somewhat unrelated, but wasn't wasn't there speculation that he was aware of some of Aaron Hernandez's antics? Has nothing to do with this particular incident, but maybe a pattern of overlooking wrong-doing?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
All that would need to be shown is the WR coach and his wife changed their stories as to what happened to put a perception that Meyer (and his wife) were told one thing one time, then another the next. Leaving the responsibility on the WR coach and his wife as to what versions of their stories were actually true. I haven't followed this enough to give an opinion. But I will definitely be following this now.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I mentioned in the post you quoted that the media outlet “Stadium” has an interview. One of the first things she mentions is that she was told not to call the police. It's unclear where that advice came from since you don't hear a question being asked before the answer..

https://twitter.com/watchstadium/status/1024690700217200640?s=21

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I don't care so much about him lying to the media. What would really matter would be how forthcoming he was with the powers that be at OSU. They are the ones he answers to. If they knew and told him to go this route, then he is ok in my book.
Dunno about that. If tOSU knew, then they are very responsible and hopefully alerted the right people. But, if your boss didn't do the right thing, then it is up to you to do the right thing since you know. Yeah, it may cost you your job either way, but you have to do the right thing. Like someone mentioned, I hate for coaches and players to get drug through the mud but if this is all true, then they deserve the axe. We all have to do the right thing in life or suffer the consequences. If CNS did this, I would expect he would be fired too.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
But I think this pretty much shows that successful programs shouldn’t let dirt diggers like Bret McMurphy or Clay Travis around because they are going to find something. Urban should’ve either not answered that question or just admitted to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.