Urban Meyer covering up domestic abuse allegations of former coach since 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Brett McMurphy has a tweet up titled "Text messages I have obtained, an exclusive interview w/the victim and other information I have learned shows Ohio State coach Urban Meyer knew in 2015 of domestic abuse allegations against a member of his coaching staff despite his denial last week."

Really haven't been following this other than Urban fired his WR coach last week the day before B1G media days. This was peculiar because it was the day after McMurphy brought to light domestic abuse allegations against the coach. Urban said the report had no impact on his decision to fire the WR coach but what coach in their right mind would wait until the day before media days to fire a coach if not for the report being publicized. Considering Urban Meyer touts a zero tolerance policy IRT domestic abuse I find this situation interesting.

Would like to get B1G's perspective on this..

https://247sports.com/Article/Ohio-...use-allegations-against-Zach-Smith-120268769/

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
OSU may circle the wagons but I wouldn't be surprised if he's terminated before their season opener.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I like Urban Meyer as a coach, and I hope this proves to not be true. But if it is, I don't see him making it to the season opener. That would make me a little sad. I think we need great coaches in college football, and I hate to see them torn down and their reputations ruined. But I also really hate the idea of any woman being abused even more. What I saw in McMurphy's stuff (on Facebook, so I can't link it here) shows that texts were exchanged between the victim and Shelley Meyer back in 2015. Unless we are to believe that Shelley knew and just didn't want to bother her husband with it (possible, but not likely), then he knew. Just last week, he claimed he didn't know about it until last week. I don't know. Best case, Shelley can claim she didn't tell Urban about the conversations in order to shield him or something. But this looks bad. Not quite Paterno bad, but pretty bad just the same. Urban is not responsible for what every individual in his program does in the personal lives. But it has the appearance now that he knew and covered it up or at least ignored it on the surface. I don't know. Maybe Meyer insisted on rehab/counseling, pushed in the direction, tried to smooth everything as best he could and make things right without a load of drama in the media. If the individual could be rehabilitated, everything smoothed out without fanfare, and none of that ever happen again, I could easily see why Meyer would have seen that as the best route. And I somewhat agree with him. However, given the current social climate and attitude regarding this type of thing, I don't think that answer will fly with the public.

Ok, so that was a mixed up paragraph of thoughts going in every direction there. I apologize for that. I just heard about this one myself, so I have a lot of mixed feelings as a fan of college football and a father of a nearly adult daughter, and those two sides somewhat are on different sides of the fence on this issue with regard to Meyer. The fan wants him to remain right where he is, as I think him being a strong coach at a strong school is good for college football. The father in me wants him punished for not doing a better job of protecting that victim and her children. Neither of us, though, want him blasted to the extent that Paterno and Briles were.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If, IF, those texts are accurate then Urban bold face lied to media, fans, supporters etc. and has been lying about this for years. The texts are between the victim and Urban's wife from 2015. How could Urban not have known if the victim was texting his wife (Shelley). As always will wait for all the information to come out (because texts can be spoofed) but McMurphy is not a back alley reporter and at this point I tend to believe his report..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
At first I couldn't understand why Urban would put himself out like this for a WR coach. Then I remember reading that the WR coach in question is the grandson of one of Urban's mentors. I need to find the article because I can't remember the name of the mentor but I remember that connection..

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I like Urban Meyer as a coach, and I hope this proves to not be true. But if it is, I don't see him making it to the season opener. That would make me a little sad. I think we need great coaches in college football, and I hate to see them torn down and their reputations ruined. But I also really hate the idea of any woman being abused even more. What I saw in McMurphy's stuff (on Facebook, so I can't link it here) shows that texts were exchanged between the victim and Shelley Meyer back in 2015. Unless we are to believe that Shelley knew and just didn't want to bother her husband with it (possible, but not likely), then he knew. Just last week, he claimed he didn't know about it until last week. I don't know. Best case, Shelley can claim she didn't tell Urban about the conversations in order to shield him or something. But this looks bad. Not quite Paterno bad, but pretty bad just the same. Urban is not responsible for what every individual in his program does in the personal lives. But it has the appearance now that he knew and covered it up or at least ignored it on the surface. I don't know. Maybe Meyer insisted on rehab/counseling, pushed in the direction, tried to smooth everything as best he could and make things right without a load of drama in the media. If the individual could be rehabilitated, everything smoothed out without fanfare, and none of that ever happen again, I could easily see why Meyer would have seen that as the best route. And I somewhat agree with him. However, given the current social climate and attitude regarding this type of thing, I don't think that answer will fly with the public.

Ok, so that was a mixed up paragraph of thoughts going in every direction there. I apologize for that. I just heard about this one myself, so I have a lot of mixed feelings as a fan of college football and a father of a nearly adult daughter, and those two sides somewhat are on different sides of the fence on this issue with regard to Meyer. The fan wants him to remain right where he is, as I think him being a strong coach at a strong school is good for college football. The father in me wants him punished for not doing a better job of protecting that victim and her children. Neither of us, though, want him blasted to the extent that Paterno and Briles were.
Urban's check and status make him responsible for the actions of every individual associated in any capacity with the Ohio State football team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
If, IF, those texts are accurate then Urban bold face lied to media, fans, supporters etc. and has been lying about this for years. The texts are between the victim and Urban's wife from 2015. How could Urban not have known if the victim was texting his wife (Shelley). As always will wait for all the information to come out (because texts can be spoofed) but McMurphy is not a back alley reporter and at this point I tend to believe his report..
I don't care so much about him lying to the media. What would really matter would be how forthcoming he was with the powers that be at OSU. They are the ones he answers to. If they knew and told him to go this route, then he is ok in my book.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
With the ongoing case against tOSU, the last thing they want is another title ix case. So I figure if truth comes out then Urban is excommunicated.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't care so much about him lying to the media. What would really matter would be how forthcoming he was with the powers that be at OSU. They are the ones he answers to. If they knew and told him to go this route, then he is ok in my book.
Lying at B1G media days about a domestic abuse coverup is a big deal *if true.*

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Lying at B1G media days about a domestic abuse coverup is a big deal *if true.*
Yea, you just can't lie about something like this publicly. I know you addressed it a bit above but I still don't understand why Urban would lie about this. Seems very careless of him.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Shelley Meyer and the abused wife were texting each other so I would venture to guess that UM knew of the domestic abuse. If that is so, he will be gone by the end of the week. If I am not mistaken this former coach is also the grandson of former Buckeye coach Earl Bruce.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
More I read into this the more disturbing it becomes. Apparently the coach in question, Zach Smith, was charged with domestic violence while on Urban's staff at UF. The charges were dropped after Urban had his "life coach" talk to the victim. From what I've read the incident at UF happened when Zach Smith came home drunk with another woman (Meyer's secretary at the time) and that led to the argument and domestic incident with his wife. The fact Urban knew about this prior incident makes it look worse that he tried to bury this second incident. I guess charges were dropped in both cases so not sure what to think about the incidents themselves but I think it's pretty clear at this point that this was an attempted cover up by Urban..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
More I read into this the more disturbing it becomes. Apparently the coach in question, Zach Smith, was charged with domestic violence while on Urban's staff at UF. The charges were dropped after Urban had his "life coach" talk to the victim. From what I've read the incident at UF happened when Zach Smith came home drunk with another woman (Meyer's secretary at the time) and that led to the argument and domestic incident with his wife. The fact Urban knew about this prior incident makes it look worse that he tried to bury this second incident. I guess charges were dropped in both cases so not sure what to think about the incidents themselves but I think it's pretty clear at this point that this was an attempted cover up by Urban..
Do you have a link for all of that?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Wow...seems bad. That multiple wives received these texts gives investigators the chance to prove this is real.

Man, for college football in general, I hate these kinds of things. It's just sad our country/world is littered with this kind of behavior. It effects lives, families and trickles down even to the game we love. Just sad on many levels! We are living in tough times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.