Bundeswehr (German military) Contemplates Enlisting Foreigners

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Germany's military is struggling amid rising tensions with Trump and Russia, and now it's thinking about asking foreigners to join

I thought this was interesting. Germany does not spend much on defense (1.13% of GDP). Germans do not see much of a threat. The prestige of the Bundeswehr in German society is fairly low and getting Germans to volunteer is getting harder.

There is talk of a German passport at the end of this service for foreigners who sign up.

Earle, I think we are too old, so this ship has sailed for you and me.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Germany's military is struggling amid rising tensions with Trump and Russia, and now it's thinking about asking foreigners to join

I thought this was interesting. Germany does not spend much on defense (1.13% of GDP). Germans do not see much of a threat. The prestige of the Bundeswehr in German society is fairly low and getting Germans to volunteer is getting harder.

There is talk of a German passport at the end of this service for foreigners who sign up.

Oh, I don't know TW. I can picture you and Earle as tank commanders. A sit down job with no marching. Kinda like Michael Dukakis on the campaign trail. :biggrin2:

Wow! Germany's army has really shrunk in size.

Tidewater's first enlistment.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I thought they flew the Eurofigher?

Wow, I had no idea that the German military had fallen so far.
Yes, the Eurofighter is the Luftwaffe's main fighter now.

With the end of the Cold War, Germany was one of the countries that bought into the idea of a peace dividend, greatly reduced the size of its armed forces, and got rid of conscription (in 2011).
My German colleagues admit privately that soldiering is not a well-respected career in today's Germany (for obvious reasons)

Last edited:

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Yes, the Eurofighter is the Luftwaffe's main fighter now.

With the end of the Cold War, Germany was one of the countries that bought into the idea of a peace dividend, greatly reduced the size of its armed forces, and got rid of conscription (in 2011).
My German colleagues admit privately that soldiering is not a well-respected career in today's Germany (for obvious reasons)
I have read that they weren't very happy with the F-104s. I don't think anyone was. Really fast plane, but squirrelly. Prone to crashes.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I have read that they weren't very happy with the F-104s. I don't think anyone was. Really fast plane, but squirrelly. Prone to crashes.
I don;t think anybody was. I've heard USAF guys call them "lawn darts," but I'm not sure whether this was alluding to the shape of the plane or its tendency to crash.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I am also reading that the current aircraft inventory in the Luftwaffe is not in good shape, maintenance-wise. They need to step up their game.
The Typhoon/Eurofighter, is potentially very good, but expensive. Like most big-ticket items, has some kinks.
The Tornado is a venerable old system, but now long in the tooth.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It sailed for me a lot longer ago than for you. :D OTOH, I can think of worse times to have dual German citizenship... :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.