Mollie Tibbetts - missing 20 year old coed in Iowa

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Been over 2 weeks now.....

The reward for the safe return of the missing University of Iowa college student has jumped to $30,000.

Tibbetts was last seen jogging on the evening of July 18 in Brooklyn, a small town Tibbetts had been living this summer. Her family reported her missing the next day after she didn't show up to work.

At a news conference Tuesday, Kevin Winker, director of investigative operations for the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, said investigators haven't drawn any conclusions about what happened to Tibbetts other than that disappearing on her own "is not consistent with her past."
He said dozens of investigators from his agency, the FBI and local law enforcement are working on the case, and that they haven't ruled out any possibilities and are checking out every lead they receive.
Tibbetts' mother, Laura Calderwood, told CBS affiliate KCCI-TV that she is determined to find her daughter.
"The first night she went missing, I was distraught," Calderwood said. "I knew her phone was dead, but I sent her a text saying, 'I love you. We're looking for you. We will find you no matter what.'"

Then there's this.....

Mollie Tibbetts gets far more coverage than other missing persons. Is media bias to blame?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
History has shown us that most serial killers/rapists, etc are white males. Their "prey" of choice is usually white females. When an 18 year old boy goes missing, most assume it was of his own choosing or he was a part of something nefarious. When an 18 year old college girl goes missing, most assume she was taken.

Nothing is absolute, but that's likely the reason for the difference in coverage.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
on the 2nd link it is because she is a pretty white girl, missing pretty white girls get ratings. Others don't. It is pretty simple
Hmmmm......I wonder if that's the same reason the #metoo movement took off.....because most of the victims were pretty white females. Interesting - I guess I hadn't thought of it in those terms. I just figured that most of the time when it's a female, people assume she was taken -- vs a boy who disappears.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Hmmmm......I wonder if that's the same reason the #metoo movement took off.....because most of the victims were pretty white females. Interesting - I guess I hadn't thought of it in those terms. I just figured that most of the time when it's a female, people assume she was taken -- vs a boy who disappears.
it's been a while but I've seen studies showing the bias for white females. There are plenty of missing black and latina girls right now that are not making the news at all.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Of course there's bias. I think about the media bias all the time, which is why I posted the second link. It's unfair - but life is unfair. Discuss - change what you can - and just keep going....that's all one can do.

Let's just hope she is found...along with all other missing kids....regardless of bias....

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I hate that woman with a passion. Even just seeing the name in type makes me annoyed, lol.
For me it is her voice. She could be reading the ingredients on a bottle of shampoo and it would sound to me like she thinks methylparaben is responsible for thousands of deaths each year and that Johnson and Johnson executives should be thrown in a Peruvian prison.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
on the 2nd link it is because she is a pretty white girl, missing pretty white girls get ratings. Others don't. It is pretty simple
Natalie Holloway comes to mind. She was a young pretty girl from Mountain Brook. If a fat ugly girl from Ensley had vanished it gets .001% of the media coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
A 16 year old from my area disappeared a couple years ago. It was posted on my community Facebook page. Everyone was all upset someone had taken her. Somebody that knew her swore she was a good girl who wouldn’t run away.

A couple days later she was found. She had taken off with her boyfriend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.