Sarah Jeong Joins NY Times Editorial Board -

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
https://www.nytco.com/sarah-jeong-joins-the-timess-editorial-board/

Sarah Jeong is joining The New York Times editorial board. Read more in this note from James Bennet, Katie Kingsbury and Jim Dao:

What would it be like if we all deleted Facebook? What does the future of online privacy look like?Why can’t the tech industry diversify? Are monkeys allowed to sue over copyrights? And what in the world is #cockygate?

To answer questions like these, the editorial board will soon be turning to Sarah Jeong, who will join us in September as our lead writer on technology. Sarah will also collaborate with Susan Fowler Rigetti, our incoming tech op-ed editor, and Kara Swisher, our latest contributor on tech issues.

Sarah has guided readers through the digital world with verve and erudition, staying ahead of every turn on the vast beat that is the internet.

She arrives most recently from the Verge, where she’s a senior writer. She also authored the book, “The Internet of Garbage,” which examines the many forms of online harassment, free speech, and the challenges of moderating platforms and social media networks.
I can't copy/paste due to language -- but search "Sarah Jeong" tweets -- it's pretty intense.....

Not sure how/why she was able to secure a job with the NYT with a history of opinions such as hers....

Interesting.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Tweets can come back to 'hain't' ya. Just look at all the MLB players in their mid-20s, apologizing for goofy stuff they posted in middle school. Social media can be a great and fun thing, but you damn well better limit your audience. I don't use Twitter but I know that on Facebook, you can assign people to a group and only post to that group, not the rest of the audience.

Either way, the NYT should know better.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Tweets can come back to 'hain't' ya. Just look at all the MLB players in their mid-20s, apologizing for goofy stuff they posted in middle school. Social media can be a great and fun thing, but you damn well better limit your audience. I don't use Twitter but I know that on Facebook, you can assign people to a group and only post to that group, not the rest of the audience.

Either way, the NYT should know better.
Not if the tweets are racist towards white people..

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Hey if you can secure a position at the top of the country with opinions along those lines why should we stop at an editorial board?

Interesting indeed.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
So.....the NYT said it was okay for her to say that stuff while working at other publications, but not while she's at the NYT.

It's either ok, or not ok. She's not any different, so why is it no longer acceptable?

If she's comfortable with those types of tweets, why are you silencing her true opinions? Let her go.....speak freely Sarah.....don't let the NYT silence you.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
So.....the NYT said it was okay for her to say that stuff while working at other publications, but not while she's at the NYT.

It's either ok, or not ok. She's not any different, so why is it no longer acceptable?

If she's comfortable with those types of tweets, why are you silencing her true opinions? Let her go.....speak freely Sarah.....don't let the NYT silence you.
It's ok in the past, it's not ok in the future. This is not really that hard.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
New Hampshire, 94 Percent White, Asks: How Do You Diversify a Whole State?

Catalina Celentano used to hold training sessions for hospital workers in Lynn, Mass., to familiarize them with the cultures of patients from Cambodia, Russia and the Dominican Republic. When she moved to New Hampshire, she suddenly found herself in an ethnic vacuum.
People in New Hampshire have no ethnicity?
“I went from being able to speak Spanish every day to not speaking Spanish at all because there wasn’t anybody to speak Spanish to,” said Mrs. Celentano.
And to the NYT, this is a problem.

Sounds like Jeong has found the right place.

Last edited:

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
I generally lean left, but defending her is the ultimate in hypocrisy. She deserves every bit of negative attention she gets from this. So does the paper. You can’t have it both ways. She’s a racist. She said those things. They apologized, explained, and rationalized her comments for her. Trash. I don’t imagine many other people would be moving up in the world in this time of supreme political correctness they called a race of people goblins and dogs.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I generally lean left, but defending her is the ultimate in hypocrisy. She deserves every bit of negative attention she gets from this. So does the paper. You can’t have it both ways. She’s a racist. She said those things. They apologized, explained, and rationalized her comments for her. Trash. I don’t imagine many other people would be moving up in the world in this time of supreme political correctness they called a race of people goblins and dogs.
Careful, your left friends will turn on you for being fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Quick question:

Should people who have ever made a mistake or once held views or expressed thoughts that others or perhaps even themselves now find unsavory just go off and die somewhere?

I ask because it seems that folks from different political perspectives are just out for vengeance and blood.

Continued or illegal behavior is not part of the question.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I never heard of her. Was she someone of note before getting the Times gig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.